Fwd: [rfamplifiers] 300W mosfet rf amp PCB's

  • Art
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2007
      Hi All,

      Just wanted to pass this on to the group. For anyone interested in higher power levels for their softrcoks, these PCB's might provide that answer. I'm not selling them and have no first hand knowledge of them.

      This message was sent to the rfamplifiers mailing list after someone pointed out that these modules are now appearing on ebay as surplus.

      1 milliwatt in, 300 watts out. But the IMD is less than spectacular, your neighbors won't be very impressed.

      Below is the complete message.

      Regards.

      Art

      From: "Dave" <emailw8nf@...>
      Subject: [rfamplifiers] Re: Erbtec MRF-150 Board(s) now on ebay

      Doc,

      Most guys tear these boards apart for the parts. However, with some
      work, they could be put on the air.

      I was brought on board Erbtec as the senior design engineer just as
      these boards hit production...so I got to do all the massaging and
      final design to make them actually manufacturable. We shipped 1400 of
      them during the five years I was with the company, each one of them
      used to drive a YC-156. Either the solid state amp would drive the
      YC-156 directly to 5kW, or we'd put a 3CPX800A7 in as an IPA and get
      20kW from the YC-156. Those were fun amps to design.

      Anyway, I eventually ended up writing a service chapter for this board
      for our major customer - no, it's not available in any form I know of.

      Basic stuff: 300 watts at onset of saturation. The IMD at this power
      level would be consistent with today's admittedly poor ham
      transceivers, high 20dB range, not quite 30dBc. To get that power
      output, the input level could be as low as one milliwatt. The board
      has a lot of gain on board.

      Starting from the output: A pair of MRF150s in push pull, driven by
      what originally was a pair of MRF148s in push pull, evidently replaced
      in later production by MS4550s. The MRF148s are delivering about 20
      watts, and the interface from MRF148 to 150 is push-pull. To break
      the amp at that point you'd have to design the correct balun. The
      MRF148s are driven by a pair of MRF134s. All three stages are running
      class AB, emphasis on Class A for linearity. You can break the amp at
      the input to the MRF134s, and then drive it with about one watt at
      that point.

      The input stage is a CATV ultralinear hybrid module - the blue block
      you see on the far right. This takes in about 1mW and delivers nearly
      a watt output. The "string of resistors" you see is actually a string
      of inductors. Between the BNC input jack and that CATV hybrid is a
      switchable attenuator...zero to 40dB I think, in one dB steps. Each
      stage has a 1N5767 PIN diode, and associated carbon comp 1/4 watt
      resistors and choke inductors.

      The biasing scheme has to be replaced. The whole thing was
      accomlished by a serial string of data fed into registers. Without
      the right external microprocessor to do the job, you're hosed. By
      simple inspection, you can figure out the bias insertion points for
      the six FETs and just add trimpots and be done with it. There's a
      dandy current monitor on the board that will read the bias current
      level of any one transistor when you turn it on, but will saturate at
      about one amp, so it won't tell you the peak current when you're
      operating.

      The FET stages are all fed back, so the gain is stable versus temperature.

      Freq response as supplied is about 10-90 MHz. The upper end is
      dominated by the feedback around the MRF150s. The low end is
      dominated by interstage coupling capacitors. By making those coupling
      caps larger, you can move the low end down to about 3-4 MHz. Below
      that, and you'll have to start adding windings to the ferrite
      transformers. Most of those ferrites are type 61.

      I've got two of the boards that I'm putting together with a power
      supply (requires 48 and 24 for the FETs...since you'll discard the
      digital circuitry, you don't need anything else) and a power combiner
      so that I can have a ready two-tone test source for amp IMD testing.
      Well, that is, I have two of these boards in a box with other parts,
      but haven't actually gotten 'round to making them play.

      Hope that helps in your enquiry.

      Dave W8NF