Re: [softrock40] Got my new RXTX6.1 kit, a couple questions

  • Bill Dumke
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 26, 2007
      That's a pretty low "high temperature".  I don't think you will be able to use it at all for the through hole components.  I was running mine around 600 to 700 degrees F for the SMT stuff.

      Bill WA9PWR

      Stephen Brown wrote:

      I ended up deciding on this one:

      http://webtronics. stores.yahoo. net/didisostc. html

      Seems to be a pretty good deal, I hope it will be wise investment. I
      have been through two soldering irons in the past year, both from Rat
      shack.

      Let's say I've learned my lesson ;)

      73's
      Stephen
      N1VLV

      On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 19:27 -0600, Bill Dumke wrote:
      > http://www.web- tronics.com/ eltemconesds1. html
      >
      > This is the iron I use. The digital display is great for accurately
      > setting the temperature, and the temperature set control is very
      > smooth. You can get just exactly the temperature you need, not just
      > a little too hot or a little too cold like you can with the internally
      > thermostat controlled Weller tips.
      >
      > But the bronze fleece cleaning cup is more of a necessity than a
      > freebie. I don't believe the tips wick anywhere as well as do the
      > Weller tips. However, there are a wide variety of tips to choose
      > from, including some desoldering ones as well.
      >
      > Bill WA9PWR
      >
      > Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
      > >
      > > Got my kit in the mail Saturday, thank you Tony for the fast
      > > shipping. Everything was in good condition.
      > >
      > > This will be my first ever attempt at SMT device soldering so things
      > > are going to be real interesting. This is also my first attempt at
      > > building a fully functional transceiver, so that's going to be fun
      > > as well lol. I've built plenty of kits, but never anything to this
      > > degree.
      > >
      > > Anyhow, onto my questions. I have decided it's time to replace my
      > > Radio Shack soldering station with something of decent quality. The
      > > sad part is, I just bought this station back in December and not
      > > realizing I couldn't get tips for it :( Why they still stock this
      > > without offering tips is a mystery to me.
      > >
      > > I am looking for a decent quality low cost variable (say 5-40w)
      > > soldering station that has interchangeable/ grounded tips. I need one
      > > that I can get a tip small enough for SMT work and general tips for
      > > through hole work. Just looking for suggestions as to what others
      > > might be using now. I'm looking to stay under $100, preferably under
      > > $50.
      > >
      > > Component layout on the reverse side of the board. The SMT side of
      > > the board is not silkscreened with part locations, and also looking
      > > around in the files section I don't see any component layouts for
      > > this side? I can trace everything out and follow the schematic of
      > > course, but just wasn't sure if there was something that already
      > > exists to make it a little easier :)
      > >
      > > Any and all suggestions appreciated.
      > >
      > > 73's
      > > Stephen

    • Stephen Brown
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 26, 2007
        Oh no don't tell me that! sheesh my level of inexperience is really
        shining through. If that's the case then I really screwed up big
        time :(

        I could always just buy a standard iron for through hole stuff, what
        would a recommended wattage be for through hole work, I'm thinking
        around 25 watts?

        Live and learn I guess.... lol

        tnx
        Stephen
        N1VLV

      • lmoline@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 26, 2007
          Stephen,

          Don't worry..the specs at the site are degrees centigrade. Convert and temp range is fine.

          Loren

          From: Stephen Brown <stephen.brown75@...>

          Oh no don't tell me that! sheesh my level of inexperience is really
          shining through. If that's the case then I really screwed up big
          time :(

          I could always just buy a standard iron for through hole stuff, what
          would a recommended wattage be for through hole work, I'm thinking
          around 25 watts?

          Live and learn I guess.... lol

          tnx
          Stephen
          N1VLV

          On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 20:07 -0600, Bill Dumke wrote:
          > That's a pretty low "high temperature" . I don't think you will be
          > able to use it at all for the through hole components. I was running
          > mine around 600 to 700 degrees F for the SMT stuff.
          >
          > Bill WA9PWR
          >
          > Stephen Brown wrote:
          > >
          > > I ended up deciding on this one:
          > >
          > > http://webtronics. stores.yahoo. net/didisostc. html
          > >
          > > Seems to be a prett y good deal, I hope it will be wise investment. I
          > > have been through two soldering irons in the past year, both from
          > > Rat
          > > shack.
          > >
          > > Let's say I've learned my lesson ;)
          > >
          > > 73's
          > > Stephen
          > > N1VLV
          > >
          > > On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 19:27 -0600, Bill Dumke wrote:
          > > > http://www.web- tronics.com/ eltemconesds1. html
          > > >
          > > > This is the iron I use. The digital display is great for
          > > accurately
          > > > setting the temperature, and the temperature set control is very
          > > > smooth. You can get just exactly the temperature you need, not
          > > just
          > > > a little too hot or a little too cold like you can with the
          > > internally
          > > > thermostat controlled Weller tips.
          > > >
          > > > But the bronze fleece cleaning cup is more of a necessity than a
          > > > freebie. I don't believe the tips wick anywhere as well as do the
          > > > Weller tips. However, there are a wide variety of tips to choose
          > > > from, including some desoldering ones as well.
          > > >
          > > > Bill WA9PWR

          > > things
          > > at
          > > fun
          > > this

          > > my
          > > The
          > > this

          > > one
          > > for
          > > others
          > ; > > > might be using now. I'm looking to stay under $100, preferably
          > > under

          > > of
          > > looking
          > > for
          > > of

        • Lonnie Ahlfinger
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 26, 2007
            I think that if you look at the soldering iron as was advertised, it states temperature in degrees C, not F, so 480 degrees C is 860+ degrees F., should be enough for both through hole and serface mount. The only slight possible problem, might be soldering large through hole leeds to the ground plane, due to its wattage. I think I may order one for my bench, the irons I have now were purchased around 1985 or 6, when I was running a small specialty assembly house.

            Lonnie Walker - W6WQ

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 26, 2007
              Good deal. Well I think this one will work out ok, time will tell like
              anything else. I'll let you know how it works out for the through hole
              stuff as I have a couple of other kits lined up after this one, one is
              the Atlanticon kit for this year, no idea what it is or does, and the
              other is an echolink interface.

              Should be fun!

              73's
              Stephen