Re: Quality problem with RXTXv6.1 circuit board

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2007
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <raparks@...> wrote:
      > I have received three reports from RXTXv6.1 kit builders concerning
      > one or more shorts between circuit board pads and the surrounding
      > ground plane.

      I suggest candling the board before assembly. Hold the board up to
      the light and view the bottom of the board, looking for dark spots
      shorting between the ground plane and the pads. Test suspect spots
      with an ohmmeter.

      I once had a batch of 550 small boards that had such a problem. I
      couldn't complain too much since 50 of the 500 were free, but I did
      have to find a way to weed out the bad boards (ended up being between
      10 and 20 of the total). The problem was that the bad boards were
      just shy of being fully etched in the bad spots. Once I figured out
      that the shorts could be seen this way, I was able to identify all of
      the bad boards. If the RXTX boards have a similar problem, it should
      be possible to see the shorts.

      Dave, WA3OFF