RE: [softrock40] Using SDR for study

  • Bill Walker
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
      Hello Alex,

      > I/Q recordings take a lot of disk space. At 96 KHz, a 24-hour file is
      > going
      > to be over 46 Gb in size! Perhaps it makes sense to save just the
      > waterfall,
      > at 10-second resolution only 64 Mb per day are required.

      An excellent point! I had not considered the possibility of capturing an
      entire days worth of data but that certainly does appeal to me.

      Considering the size and cost of hard drive space today, not to mention how
      cheap writeable CDs are, I wonder if a one second resolution would be
      acceptable. Would this be 640 Mb per day? Or am I getting the math all
      wrong? It's pretty early in the morning for me now. 8-)

      Bill Walker - WV7G
    • KD5NWA
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
        I would think that most people would be interested in a real time
        recording, so you could go back and listen to the contacts. A
        synopsis or just the waterfall display would be useless compared to
        the real thing.

        What would be nice, would be to be able to set a time limit to the
        recording so you only record for X amount of time, after all, most
        bands are not open 24 hours a day.

        At 07:32 AM 11/2/2005, you wrote:
        >Hello Alex,
        >
        > > I/Q recordings take a lot of disk space. At 96 KHz, a 24-hour file is
        > > going
        > > to be over 46 Gb in size! Perhaps it makes sense to save just the
        > > waterfall,
        > > at 10-second resolution only 64 Mb per day are required.
        >
        >An excellent point! I had not considered the possibility of capturing an
        >entire days worth of data but that certainly does appeal to me.
        >
        >Considering the size and cost of hard drive space today, not to mention how
        >cheap writeable CDs are, I wonder if a one second resolution would be
        >acceptable. Would this be 640 Mb per day? Or am I getting the math all
        >wrong? It's pretty early in the morning for me now. 8-)
        >
        >Bill Walker - WV7G
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Cecil Bayona
        KD5NWA
        www.qrpradio.com

        I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
        same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
        only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...