Re: [softrock40] Using SDR for study

  • Alex, VE3NEA
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi Bill,

      > It would be great if Rocky had a feature to enable the user to set a
      > starting time and duration for recording to occur. This would enable
      > making
      > unattended recordings of the bands while getting that much needed sleep.
      > 8-)

      Great idea! I will see if I can implement it, though this will certainly
      take quite a bit of time.

      I/Q recordings take a lot of disk space. At 96 KHz, a 24-hour file is going
      to be over 46 Gb in size! Perhaps it makes sense to save just the waterfall,
      at 10-second resolution only 64 Mb per day are required.

      73 Alex VE3NEA
    • Bill Walker
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hello Alex,

        > I/Q recordings take a lot of disk space. At 96 KHz, a 24-hour file is
        > going
        > to be over 46 Gb in size! Perhaps it makes sense to save just the
        > waterfall,
        > at 10-second resolution only 64 Mb per day are required.

        An excellent point! I had not considered the possibility of capturing an
        entire days worth of data but that certainly does appeal to me.

        Considering the size and cost of hard drive space today, not to mention how
        cheap writeable CDs are, I wonder if a one second resolution would be
        acceptable. Would this be 640 Mb per day? Or am I getting the math all
        wrong? It's pretty early in the morning for me now. 8-)

        Bill Walker - WV7G
      • KD5NWA
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
          I would think that most people would be interested in a real time
          recording, so you could go back and listen to the contacts. A
          synopsis or just the waterfall display would be useless compared to
          the real thing.

          What would be nice, would be to be able to set a time limit to the
          recording so you only record for X amount of time, after all, most
          bands are not open 24 hours a day.

          At 07:32 AM 11/2/2005, you wrote:
          >Hello Alex,
          >
          > > I/Q recordings take a lot of disk space. At 96 KHz, a 24-hour file is
          > > going
          > > to be over 46 Gb in size! Perhaps it makes sense to save just the
          > > waterfall,
          > > at 10-second resolution only 64 Mb per day are required.
          >
          >An excellent point! I had not considered the possibility of capturing an
          >entire days worth of data but that certainly does appeal to me.
          >
          >Considering the size and cost of hard drive space today, not to mention how
          >cheap writeable CDs are, I wonder if a one second resolution would be
          >acceptable. Would this be 640 Mb per day? Or am I getting the math all
          >wrong? It's pretty early in the morning for me now. 8-)
          >
          >Bill Walker - WV7G
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Cecil Bayona
          KD5NWA
          www.qrpradio.com

          I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
          same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
          only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...