Re: Build problem

  • Marsh Parker
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Miller"
      <dvcamvideo2004@y...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > I finished building the SR40 and loaded Rocky software and seem to
      > have a problem. I set the center frequency and all I hear is that
      > frequency. Not knowing where to look, I thought I would ask here.
      If I
      > have the coil wired wrong would that cause this kind of problem?
      >
      > Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
      >
      > Bob

      Try the files section

      http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cPNnQ2RfZTWrFmz3qOQhcSb2jFaoGhVbSzKPKfSe
      YIRNnn48T83nGTO7xULviLPJlWGYRNj4wVwsji0NK9Sm2RfJ7Q/SoftRock%20FAQ.txt

      I believe it is from N1RX.
      Yes the input coil could be installed wrong, but there are also many
      other things. Particularly poor or shorted solder joints. Use a
      magnifier and ohmmeter to check out.

      Good luck,
      73,
      Marsh, NC7V
    • wb8yqj
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi Bob,

        Looks like you've found lots of help!

        Probably number one item would be to check for the LED coming on.

        Then check the audio and RF cables to make sure they are not swapped
        or bridged.

        Then examine the board with a magnifier for component position
        and solder bridges.

        If all that looks good, Elecraft suggests the highest percentage
        of their build problems has to do with toroids that may be wound
        properly, but that have enough enamel left on the wires as to
        gum up the connection at the PCB.

        After I wind the coil, I use paint remover on the ends, then
        tin the ends, and finally solder to PCB. The trick is getting a
        good lead and strip on (example) the bifilar twisted wires but
        without shorting them at the ferrite.

        Good luck!