Build problem

  • Bob Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hello All,

      I finished building the SR40 and loaded Rocky software and seem to
      have a problem. I set the center frequency and all I hear is that
      frequency. Not knowing where to look, I thought I would ask here. If I
      have the coil wired wrong would that cause this kind of problem?

      Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

      Bob
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi Bob,

        If you would like a phone call to talk you through some of the things to
        look for, I would be happy to give you a call. Just send you telephone
        number and a time when you would like a call and I will give you a call.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        > I finished building the SR40 and loaded Rocky software and seem to
        > have a problem. I set the center frequency and all I hear is that
        > frequency. Not knowing where to look, I thought I would ask here. If I
        > have the coil wired wrong would that cause this kind of problem?
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
        >
        > Bob
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Marsh Parker
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Miller"
          <dvcamvideo2004@y...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > I finished building the SR40 and loaded Rocky software and seem to
          > have a problem. I set the center frequency and all I hear is that
          > frequency. Not knowing where to look, I thought I would ask here.
          If I
          > have the coil wired wrong would that cause this kind of problem?
          >
          > Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
          >
          > Bob

          Try the files section

          http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cPNnQ2RfZTWrFmz3qOQhcSb2jFaoGhVbSzKPKfSe
          YIRNnn48T83nGTO7xULviLPJlWGYRNj4wVwsji0NK9Sm2RfJ7Q/SoftRock%20FAQ.txt

          I believe it is from N1RX.
          Yes the input coil could be installed wrong, but there are also many
          other things. Particularly poor or shorted solder joints. Use a
          magnifier and ohmmeter to check out.

          Good luck,
          73,
          Marsh, NC7V
        • wb8yqj
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
            Hi Bob,

            Looks like you've found lots of help!

            Probably number one item would be to check for the LED coming on.

            Then check the audio and RF cables to make sure they are not swapped
            or bridged.

            Then examine the board with a magnifier for component position
            and solder bridges.

            If all that looks good, Elecraft suggests the highest percentage
            of their build problems has to do with toroids that may be wound
            properly, but that have enough enamel left on the wires as to
            gum up the connection at the PCB.

            After I wind the coil, I use paint remover on the ends, then
            tin the ends, and finally solder to PCB. The trick is getting a
            good lead and strip on (example) the bifilar twisted wires but
            without shorting them at the ferrite.

            Good luck!