Laptop Soundcards

  • raymonda58
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      I know the Delta-44 is the "preferred" sound card by many for SDR use,
      however I wonder which external card has shown the best performance
      for use with a laptop.

      The SB Audigy 2 NX USB and the SB Audigy 2 ZS Laptop (PCMCIA) cards
      seem to have pretty good specs however I've noticed a bit of list
      message traffic concerning difficulties a few users have had with
      these cards when used with the Rocky software.

      Have these difficulties been resolved in the most recent versions of
      Rocky ? Any comments on the use of these cards (or others you have had
      good luck with) with Rocky and other SDR software would be welcome.

      Thanks & 73,

      Ray WB6TPU
    • Eric Wachsmann - FlexRadio
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        Ray,

        We have just finished qualifying a new soundcard for use with laptops
        and the SDR-1000. It is called the PreSonus FireBox. It is a firewire
        (IEEE-1394) soundcard with 6 inputs and 10 outputs. It will take a
        hefty processor to run it (~1.5GHz+), but will give comparable
        performance to the Delta 44.

        Eric Wachsmann
        FlexRadio Systems

        I know the Delta-44 is the "preferred" sound card by many for SDR use,
        however I wonder which external card has shown the best performance
        for use with a laptop.

        The SB Audigy 2 NX USB and the SB Audigy 2 ZS Laptop (PCMCIA) cards
        seem to have pretty good specs however I've noticed a bit of list
        message traffic concerning difficulties a few users have had with
        these cards when used with the Rocky software.

        Have these difficulties been resolved in the most recent versions of
        Rocky ? Any comments on the use of these cards (or others you have had
        good luck with) with Rocky and other SDR software would be welcome.

        Thanks & 73,

        Ray WB6TPU
      • Stan Rife
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
          Message
              299 bucks is a little stiff, to have the capability on your laptop.

          Stan Rife
          W5EWA
          Houston, TX
          K2 S/N 4216