Rocky v1.1

  • wb8yqj
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi Guys,

      I loaded the Rocky software last night. I was suprised
      to find that it seemed to make a better receiver with the
      SoftRock40 than the Flex software. Is it all in the mind?
      Prehaps the Flex software can be dialed in with some time and
      attention where Rocky is more ready to play.

      I can say that with my setup (2.4GHZ Dell and Soundblaster Live),
      the Rocky program is noticably more snappy to operate than Flex
      from the interface standpoint.

      Having loads of fun here with the entire setup. Alex did a
      fabulous job - my thanks.

      de Don WB8YQJ/6
      Carlsbad, Ca
    • Phil Covington
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        Now, you really cannot do a fair comparison of Rocky and PowerSDR.
        The PowerSDR software was developed to support the SDR-1000 which is
        MUCH more complex than the SR40. Support for the SR40 was added to
        PowerSDR first by Bill Tracey and now officially by Flex-Radio in the
        latest release. Rocky supports the SR40 and multiband variants but
        does not support the SDR-1000.

        I do believe that Rocky is a better fit to the SR40 than the PowerSDR
        program is.

        Phil N8VB

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wb8yqj" <wb8yqj@y...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        >
        > I loaded the Rocky software last night. I was suprised
        > to find that it seemed to make a better receiver with the
        > SoftRock40 than the Flex software. Is it all in the mind?
        > Prehaps the Flex software can be dialed in with some time and
        > attention where Rocky is more ready to play.
        >
        > I can say that with my setup (2.4GHZ Dell and Soundblaster Live),
        > the Rocky program is noticably more snappy to operate than Flex
        > from the interface standpoint.
        >
        > Having loads of fun here with the entire setup. Alex did a
        > fabulous job - my thanks.
        >
        > de Don WB8YQJ/6
        > Carlsbad, Ca

      • Chuck Carpenter
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
          Posted a picture of my two-band crystal switch setup. Not particularly
          elegant but quite functional. Tapping and touching the ungrounded crystals
          caused no apparent distress. Operation with Rocky v1.1 makes it a nice
          little setup.

          Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ, Point, TX -|- Rains Co. -|- EM22cv -|- 72 es 73
          50 years -|- 19 - K2OFN and 31 - W5USJ -|- Most fun = QRP since 1984.
          www.w5usj.com hosted by Hamnutz.com -|- NeTxQRP www.netxqrp.org
        • Robert McGwier
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
            And no one agrees with this more than those of us working on the
            PowerSDR software. Rocky is a much better fit for the SR40 and we
            celebrate what Alex has shared with us. That said, watch 1.4.5 as it
            progresses. A MAJOR discovery was made in the callback from the audio
            system that, in my case, greatly increased the efficiency of the system,
            and on my personal machine, it really improved the overall
            responsiveness. Alex has done some brilliant things in Rocky and they
            are detailed on the web site. Watch this space as imitation is the
            sincerest form of flattery!

            I love my SR40, Rocky, SDR-1000, and PowerSDR.

            Bob
            N4HY

            --
            Laziness is the number one inspiration for ingenuity. Guilty as charged!