Re: [softrock40] Useful FPGA development board

  • Leon Heller
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Phil Harman" <pvharman@...>
      To: <softrock40@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 12:41 PM
      Subject: [softrock40] Useful FPGA development board

      I'm presently supervising a couple of overseas engineering students whilst
      they do their industrial training. They need 12 weeks of practical
      experience so they can obtain their degrees.

      They are both very interested in FPGA development work and whilst we have
      develpment systems in the lab I can't hand them over to the students for
      this period of time.

      I came across this low cost FPGA development board

      http://www.fpga4fun.com/board_Xylo.html

      With Ethernet, USB2, I2C, VGA etc and free development tools this looks like
      a very inexpensive way to get into FPGA development. I see that the FPGA
      code can be down loaded from the PC via USB2 and then the PC can communicate
      with the FPGA at 35MBytes/s.

      I'm going to look at using this board to interface a high speed A/D
      converter for the SoftRock and SDR1000.

      I've got a Digilent Spartan 3 kit with a -400 Spartan 3 FPGA ($125):

      http://www.digilentinc.com/info/S3Board.cfm

      I've started designing an ADC interface for it.

      Leon
      --
      Leon Heller, G1HSM
      leon.heller@...

      ---
      [This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
      to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
      currently using to read this email. ]
    • John H. Fisher
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2005
        I'm wondering if you can replace the DDS with a FPGA numerically
        controlled oscillator. By this, I mean implementing a Phase Accumulator
        and a loadable Delta Phase register and adding them together at a fixed
        high speed rate. The upper two bits of the Phase Accumulator could
        control the sampling switches through logic. In other words create a
        special purpose DDS without the sine table. Then on to the ADC. Put as
        much of the SDR front end as possible into the FPGA :-) Just a thought
        of course. I want to learn about these FPGA's, too :-)

        Leon Heller wrote:

        > I've got a Digilent Spartan 3 kit with a -400 Spartan 3 FPGA ($125):
        >
        > http://www.digilentinc.com/info/S3Board.cfm
        >
        > I've started designing an ADC interface for it.
        >
        > Leon
        > --
        > Leon Heller, G1HSM
        > leon.heller@...
        > http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

        --
        Regards,
        John

        email: k5jhf@...
        photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
        files: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
        web page: http://www.geocities.com/k5jhf@...
        call sign: K5JHF
      • johanmaas2001
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 26, 2005
          Hi all,

          Iam also thinking of using the ADC pcm1804 24bits max 192KHz
          sampling rate.

          I was thinking todo the trick by using an ethernet controller which
          is sending only ethernet frames (no additional protocols like udp
          tcp and ip).

          But the speed of sampling of 192Khz is too high i think have to
          decrease the sampling rate to 44 Khz.... but with an fpga it must be
          possible to achieve the 192Khz speed; nice idea!

          How are you thinking todo the PC side for instance the sdr1000
          software... are you thinking of making an virtual soundcard driver
          or are you thinking of making an ethernet sniffer? I made use of
          software available at http://www.winpcap.org which can be used
          within the visual studio .net 2003.

          73 Johan PA3GSB

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Leon Heller" <leon.heller@b...>
          wrote:

> [...]
        • Phil Harman
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 26, 2005
            Hi John,

            The Xylo FPGA board that a number of us are experimenting with comes
            complete with a USB2 interface and sample C code for the PC that allows
            480Mbps comms with the PC.

            It looks like we can just read the left and right A/D data from a couple of
            buffers inside the C code so that no other drivers will be required.

            Progress so far has been good. Within the C code I can set up all the
            registers in the Wolfson A/D chip, over the USB2 and I2C interface on the
            FX2, and it is sending data to the FPGA. I can also send and receive data
            from the FPGA via the PC C program. Next I need to build an I2S interface
            in the FPGA to connect to the A/D chip.

            After spending some time looking at VHDL I've decided to use Verilog to
            program the FPGA since, being more like C, it seems much easier to learn.

            The sample HDL code and C code that comes with the Xylo board appears to be
            a very good starting point from which to develop the rest of the project.

            Good luck with your project.

            Phil...VK6APH

            > Iam also thinking of using the ADC pcm1804 24bits max 192KHz
            > sampling rate.
            >
            > I was thinking todo the trick by using an ethernet controller which
            > is sending only ethernet frames (no additional protocols like udp
            > tcp and ip).
            >
            > But the speed of sampling of 192Khz is too high i think have to
            > decrease the sampling rate to 44 Khz.... but with an fpga it must be
            > possible to achieve the 192Khz speed; nice idea!
            >
            > How are you thinking todo the PC side for instance the sdr1000
            > software... are you thinking of making an virtual soundcard driver
            > or are you thinking of making an ethernet sniffer? I made use of
            > software available at http://www.winpcap.org which can be used
            > within the visual studio .net 2003.
            >

            > 73 Johan PA3GSB
            >

            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Leon Heller" <leon.heller@b...>

          • johanmaas2001
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
              Phil,

              Tnx for the reaction!

              Some part of your message i couldnot understand...

              Can you give some additional information of the used 'Wolfson A/D
              chip' and 'FX2'

              Regards,

              Johan PA3GSB

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Harman" <pvharman@a...>
              wrote:

              > Hi John,
              >
              > The Xylo FPGA board that a number of us are experimenting with
              comes
              > complete with a USB2 interface and sample C code for the PC that
              allows
              > 480Mbps comms with the PC.
              >
              > It looks like we can just read the left and right A/D data from a
              couple of
              > buffers inside the C code so that no other drivers will be
              required.

              > Progress so far has been good. Within the C code I can set up all
              the
              > registers in the Wolfson A/D chip, over the USB2 and I2C interface
              on the
              > FX2, and it is sending data to the FPGA. I can also send and
              receive data
              > from the FPGA via the PC C program. Next I need to build an I2S
              interface
              > in the FPGA to connect to the A/D chip.
              >
              > After spending some time looking at VHDL I've decided to use
              Verilog to
              > program the FPGA since, being more like C, it seems much easier to
              learn.

              > The sample HDL code and C code that comes with the Xylo board
              appears to be
              > a very good starting point from which to develop the rest of the
              project.

              > Good luck with your project.
              >
              > Phil...VK6APH

              24/11/2005

              > --
              24/11/2005

            • Phil Harman
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                Johan,

                The Xylo board has a Altera FPGA and a Cypress FX2 USB2 chip on it, see

                www.fpga4fun.com/board_Xylo.html

                The high performance A/D converter we are using is a Wolfson WM8785, see

                http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/digital_audio/adcs/WM8785/

                73's Phil... VK6APH

                > Some part of your message i couldnot understand...
                >
                > Can you give some additional information of the used 'Wolfson A/D
                > chip' and 'FX2'
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Johan PA3GSB
                >

                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Harman" <pvharman@a...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                >> Hi John,
                >>
                >> The Xylo FPGA board that a number of us are experimenting with
                > comes
                >> complete with a USB2 interface and sample C code for the PC that
                > allows
                >> 480Mbps comms with the PC.
                >>
                >> It looks like we can just read the left and right A/D data from a
                > couple of
                >> buffers inside the C code so that no other drivers will be
                > required.
                >>
                >> Progress so far has been good. Within the C code I can set up all
                > the
                >> registers in the Wolfson A/D chip, over the USB2 and I2C interface
                > on the
                >> FX2, and it is sending data to the FPGA. I can also send and
                > receive data
                >> from the FPGA via the PC C program. Next I need to build an I2S
                > interface
                >> in the FPGA to connect to the A/D chip.
                >>
                >> After spending some time looking at VHDL I've decided to use
                > Verilog to
                >> program the FPGA since, being more like C, it seems much easier to
                > learn.
                >>
                >> The sample HDL code and C code that comes with the Xylo board
                > appears to be
                >> a very good starting point from which to develop the rest of the
                > project.
                >>
                >> Good luck with your project.
                >>
                >> Phil...VK6APH

              • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                  Hi Phil,

                  May be this is a stupid question. Is it not possible to directly
                  interface the ADC chip's I2S data interface to the FX2 chip, so that
                  FPGA glue logic can be avoided or is there any specific reason for
                  using it?

                  Thanks
                  73
                  Ramakrishnan VU3RDD

                  --
                  Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD
                • Robert McGwier
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                    I am having a hugely hard time figuring out what the Xylo board will do
                    for me that the GnuRadio USRP does not already do and the USRP with
                    GnuRadio has a bloody HUGE software base with it already (all open
                    source). In addition, the GnuRadio USRP has all sorts of hardware plug
                    on modules to turn it into all sorts of things. Could some please inform
                    me? The difference in price is about $300 but adding all things up side
                    by side, I just don't see it. Fix my ignorance please.

                    http://ettus.com

                    http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/

                    Bob

                    --
                    Laziness is the number one inspiration for ingenuity. Guilty as charged!
                  • pvharman@arach.net.au
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                      Bob,

                      This will do absolutely nothing for YOU. It's for people like me who are total
                      novices at these things, want to get their toes wet, and learn a little at low
                      cost.

                      Since the Xylo uses an Altera FPGA there is plenty of free code available e.g
                      www.opencores.org and people around that will help beginners. I hope to be
                      able to join the big boys one day soon too.

                      Phil...VK6APH

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                        Hi Ramakrishnan,

                        Not a stupid question at all and I can't see any reason why not. The mode I
                        have used the FX2 in before was where the chip 'gets out of the way' after
                        setting up the USB2 port so the full 480Mbps was available. I have not used
                        the FX2 where it is actually communicating with the USB data.

                        My reason for using the FPGA was mainly to learn a new technology and try to
                        do something in a different way to how I've done it in the past.

                        I find Verilog quite easy to learn and have a crude I2S interface to the A/D
                        working - and also having a lot of fun!

                        Phil... VK6APH

                      • Bill Tracey
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                          Things the Xylo has going for it:
                          Cost -- Xylo w' all connectors is $150, USRP $550. Xylo comes a
                          lot closer to 'no thought, knee jerk' buying than USRP
                          Windows oriented (this will not be a plus for all)
                          Ethernet support (sure one could do Ethernet on the USRP with the
                          appropriate FPGA code and some hardware to connect it)

                          Things the USRP has going for it
                          Open source everything (FPGA code, Schematics, applications)
                          Linux oriented (this will not be a plus for all)
                          On board hi speed A/D and D/A converters

                          The current thing folks are looking at with the Xylo is to interface a hi
                          quality 192khz, 24 bit Wolfson A/D converter to a computer for an SDR 1000,
                          SoftRock or other narrowband SDR style hardware. Some thoughts to trying
                          to do some of the quad signal generation and perhaps the QSD in the FPGA,
                          but I don't know how much serious work has been done on that as yet.

                          Ultimately, if folks are successful at using the Xylo to interface a
                          Wolfson then maybe a custom FPGA + Wolfson + FX2 + whatever board gets done
                          to bring the cost down -- I think the Xylo's just being used for initial
                          development and experimentation.

                          Regards,

                          Bill (kd5tfd)

                          At 06:54 PM 11/27/2005, Robert McGwier wrote:
                          >I am having a hugely hard time figuring out what the Xylo board will do
                          >for me that the GnuRadio USRP does not already do and the USRP with
                          >GnuRadio has a bloody HUGE software base with it already (all open
                          >source). In addition, the GnuRadio USRP has all sorts of hardware plug
                          >on modules to turn it into all sorts of things. Could some please inform
                          >me? The difference in price is about $300 but adding all things up side
                          >by side, I just don't see it. Fix my ignorance please.
                          >
                          ><http://ettus.com>http://ettus.com
                          >
                          >http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/
                          >
                          >Bob
                        • Robert McGwier
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                            Right. That is why I am asking. The USRP uses an Altera Cyclone part
                            and USB 2.0 and the same opencores will run on it, in addition there is
                            the huge body of software (GnuRadio) already done for it. If you want
                            to go the Xylo way (since you are already in), a good thing would be to
                            get the GnuRadio stuff to play as the back end of it. Quartus II Web
                            edition writes code for it, etc. Just making sure everyone understands
                            the options, plusses and minuses.

                            Bob

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                              Bill Tracey wrote:

                              >Things the Xylo has going for it:
                              > Cost -- Xylo w' all connectors is $150, USRP $550. Xylo comes a
                              >lot closer to 'no thought, knee jerk' buying than USRP
                              > Windows oriented (this will not be a plus for all)

                              Okay, the GnuRadio support for windows is in early stages but it
                              <<DOES>> run under MinGW. MinGW allows you to use Linux development
                              tools and compile native windows code. Stephane Fillod (Hamlib, etc.
                              fame) did this port.

                              > Ethernet support (sure one could do Ethernet on the USRP with the
                              >appropriate FPGA code and some hardware to connect it)

                              This is a plus.

                              >Things the USRP has going for it
                              > Open source everything (FPGA code, Schematics, applications)
                              > Linux oriented (this will not be a plus for all)
                              > On board hi speed A/D and D/A converters
                              >
                              >The current thing folks are looking at with the Xylo is to interface a hi
                              >quality 192khz, 24 bit Wolfson A/D converter to a computer for an SDR 1000,
                              >SoftRock or other narrowband SDR style hardware. Some thoughts to trying
                              >to do some of the quad signal generation and perhaps the QSD in the FPGA,
                              >but I don't know how much serious work has been done on that as yet.

                              The WM8786 and WM8785 are worth investigating.

                              >Ultimately, if folks are successful at using the Xylo to interface a
                              >Wolfson then maybe a custom FPGA + Wolfson + FX2 + whatever board gets done
                              >to bring the cost down -- I think the Xylo's just being used for initial
                              >development and experimentation.

                              Okay. I agree with Phil. I can't see it being useful to me at this
                              point in time. I am definitely moved on almost completely to
                              applications and optimization.

                              Bob

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                                ecellison wrote:

                                >Bob
                                >
                                >Well, I must admit that I had not considered the USRP although I have looked
                                >at it over the past year or two, as well as listened to conversations about
                                >it on Teamspeak.
                                >
                                >I did also see Bill's response and your responses.
                                >
                                >Aside from price there are a couple of other things favoring the Xylo for
                                >fun and development:
                                >
                                >1. Very small size and powered from the USB port on the computer. Allowing a
                                >carry anywhere, plug and go, programming tool.
                                >
                                >2. On board interfaces and drivers/code for VGA, JTAG, USB, I2C, LCD
                                >interface, mounts for second oscillator daughter board (an offered option),
                                >Plethora of I/O, power, etc on headers for testing external stuff.
                                >
                                >3. For the price, if you were developing code for say the FPGA on the USRP,
                                >it could be easily tried on this board, on a business trip, (or at
                                >Thanksgiving dinner with the family (I'm still in trouble(smile))) then
                                >included in the USRP project. Although I only have a couple of days working
                                >and studying the software and Verilog etc. It appears that Verilog and and
                                >the tools offered by Altera they are very flexible towards porting code to
                                >other FPGA devices. For $120 (forget the other connectors) the developers of
                                >the USRP might just use this to develop code. I think that is what Phil
                                >Covington is using it for.
                                >
                                >4. I guess for us non-programmers, non-experts, this is a modest priced,
                                >just for fun learning project, which might yield something as serious as the
                                >USRP in the end. It allows hobbyists to get involved at the cost of a
                                >blinkey. Also it could be mounted as a controller board in a final product,
                                >with a buss to carry the I/O and control.
                                >
                                >Eric2

                                Good answers. I understand all of these considerations. The USRP has
                                the USB interface period and some IO pins and it requires an external
                                power supply.

                                Bob

                                --
                                Laziness is the number one inspiration for ingenuity. Guilty as charged!
                              • Philip Covington
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                                  One design mistake with the USRP, IMO, is having the 64 MSPS A/D and
                                  125 MSPS D/As (AD9862s) on the same board as the FPGA and I/O
                                  sections. This locks you into the 12 bit A/Ds and 14 bit D/As chosen
                                  when that was the best available. Now Analog Devices has a 16 bit 100
                                  MSPS part (AD9446) available, for example. The board will not upgrade
                                  to new A/D and D/A devices without redesign. I prefer to separate the
                                  USB/FPGA I/O (going a little overkill on the FPGA size) and the data
                                  acquisition devices into separate modules so the latter can be
                                  upgraded as new parts are available. This may not be an optimal
                                  solution, but I think it is reasonable.

                                  This does not answer the question in regards to the Xylo board vs
                                  USRP... but the USRP is not the optimal solution for everything
                                  either.

                                  73 de Phil N8VB

                                  On 11/27/05, Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@...> wrote:
                                  > I am having a hugely hard time figuring out what the Xylo board will do
                                  > for me that the GnuRadio USRP does not already do and the USRP with
                                  > GnuRadio has a bloody HUGE software base with it already (all open
                                  > source). In addition, the GnuRadio USRP has all sorts of hardware plug
                                  > on modules to turn it into all sorts of things. Could some please inform
                                  > me? The difference in price is about $300 but adding all things up side
                                  > by side, I just don't see it. Fix my ignorance please.
                                  >
                                  > http://ettus.com
                                  >
                                  > http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/
                                  >
                                  > Bob
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  > Laziness is the number one inspiration for ingenuity. Guilty as charged!

                                  Philip A Covington
                                  http://www.philcovington.com
                                • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                                    Thanks Phil.

                                    Regards
                                    Ramakrishnan, VU3RDD

                                    --
                                    Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD
                                  • metebalci
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 28 1:56 PM
                                      I guess RT2 (http://www.lekstutis.com/Artie/Ham/Projects/RT2.html) aims that. Is there any
                                      problem using an FPGA in this way ? Because it is quite straightforward. I mean something
                                      similar to softrock, but instead of clocking logic, use an FPGA in a DDS style (without lookup
                                      and DAC) and use FPGA output to enable bus switches.

                                      Mete

                                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "John H. Fisher" <k5jhf@...> wrote:

                                      > I'm wondering if you can replace the DDS with a FPGA numerically
                                      > controlled oscillator. By this, I mean implementing a Phase Accumulator
                                      > and a loadable Delta Phase register and adding them together at a fixed
                                      > high speed rate. The upper two bits of the Phase Accumulator could
                                      > control the sampling switches through logic. In other words create a
                                      > special purpose DDS without the sine table. Then on to the ADC. Put as
                                      > much of the SDR front end as possible into the FPGA :-) Just a thought
                                      > of course. I want to learn about these FPGA's, too :-)
                                    • k5nwa
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 28 2:58 PM
                                        At 03:56 PM 4/28/2008, you wrote:

                                        I guess RT2 ( http://www.lekstutis.com/Artie/Ham/Projects/RT2.html) aims that. Is there any
                                        problem using an FPGA in this way ? Because it is quite straightforward. I mean something
                                        similar to softrock, but instead of clocking logic, use an FPGA in a DDS style (without lookup
                                        and DAC) and use FPGA output to enable bus switches.

                                        That technique will have considerable jitter, just adding a count to the register and using bits from the counter for the clock, the accuracy needed in the counters is quite high including lots of fractional bits before the jitter is tamed enough. But even that will do only so much, you need the clock to be as high as the logic can go, the higher the clock the better it will perform. A 1 GHz clock will give you 1 ns resolution hardly good enough. The SI570 uses a combination of variable clock and a Fractional divider to give you both good frequency resolution and clean output, but with a fixed FPGA clock you can't have both.

                                        The reason a DDS works quite well is that the counter is way bigger than the D/A and it provides for fractional outputs, the output filter also helps get rid of some of the noise by interpolating in-between values. DDS's have their own problems, lack of D/A resolution, unequal bit sizes, and feed through noise tend to make spurs appear.

                                        You will most likely be way better off by having the FPGA control the SI570 for the LO generation, and let the FPGA do the signal processing.

                                        Cecil
                                        K5NWA
                                        www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com