Using SDR for study

  • Bill Walker
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      I don't know about you guys but I have had a great time using my SoftRock40
      to study the band conditions. I have identified all kinds of noise sources
      within my shack, ethernet cables, battery chargers, power strips, etc.
      Using my SoftRock40 and Rocky, I have been able to significantly reduce the
      level of RF noise in the shack.

      With the new feature of being able to record using Rock 1.1, I have taken to
      making recordings of times when I'm not normally able to be in the shack.
      Doing this I have discovered ham activity periods I was not aware of and
      noise sources that come and go at various times as the night progresses.

      It would be great if Rocky had a feature to enable the user to set a
      starting time and duration for recording to occur. This would enable making
      unattended recordings of the bands while getting that much needed sleep. 8-)

      Does anyone know of any software with a waterfall display that can play the
      I/Q recordings produced by Rocky and/or PowerSDR? Ideally this software
      would enable playback at higher than normal speed and "zooming" to time
      periods later in the recording.

      I would like to thank all the people working on SDR software. You are all
      doing a wonderful job and you should be commended!

      Bill Walker - WV7G
    • Alex, VE3NEA
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi Bill,

        > It would be great if Rocky had a feature to enable the user to set a
        > starting time and duration for recording to occur. This would enable
        > making
        > unattended recordings of the bands while getting that much needed sleep.
        > 8-)

        Great idea! I will see if I can implement it, though this will certainly
        take quite a bit of time.

        I/Q recordings take a lot of disk space. At 96 KHz, a 24-hour file is going
        to be over 46 Gb in size! Perhaps it makes sense to save just the waterfall,
        at 10-second resolution only 64 Mb per day are required.

        73 Alex VE3NEA
      • Bill Walker
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
          Hello Alex,

          > I/Q recordings take a lot of disk space. At 96 KHz, a 24-hour file is
          > going
          > to be over 46 Gb in size! Perhaps it makes sense to save just the
          > waterfall,
          > at 10-second resolution only 64 Mb per day are required.

          An excellent point! I had not considered the possibility of capturing an
          entire days worth of data but that certainly does appeal to me.

          Considering the size and cost of hard drive space today, not to mention how
          cheap writeable CDs are, I wonder if a one second resolution would be
          acceptable. Would this be 640 Mb per day? Or am I getting the math all
          wrong? It's pretty early in the morning for me now. 8-)

          Bill Walker - WV7G
        • KD5NWA
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2005
            I would think that most people would be interested in a real time
            recording, so you could go back and listen to the contacts. A
            synopsis or just the waterfall display would be useless compared to
            the real thing.

            What would be nice, would be to be able to set a time limit to the
            recording so you only record for X amount of time, after all, most
            bands are not open 24 hours a day.

            At 07:32 AM 11/2/2005, you wrote:
            >Hello Alex,
            >
            > > I/Q recordings take a lot of disk space. At 96 KHz, a 24-hour file is
            > > going
            > > to be over 46 Gb in size! Perhaps it makes sense to save just the
            > > waterfall,
            > > at 10-second resolution only 64 Mb per day are required.
            >
            >An excellent point! I had not considered the possibility of capturing an
            >entire days worth of data but that certainly does appeal to me.
            >
            >Considering the size and cost of hard drive space today, not to mention how
            >cheap writeable CDs are, I wonder if a one second resolution would be
            >acceptable. Would this be 640 Mb per day? Or am I getting the math all
            >wrong? It's pretty early in the morning for me now. 8-)
            >
            >Bill Walker - WV7G
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Cecil Bayona
            KD5NWA
            www.qrpradio.com

            I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
            same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
            only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...