Re: [softrock40] Useful FPGA development board

  • John H. Fisher
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2005
      This is totally cool :-) Thank you very much :-)

      Phil Harman wrote:

      > I'm presently supervising a couple of overseas engineering students
      > whilst they do their industrial training. They need 12 weeks of
      > practical experience so they can obtain their degrees.
      >
      > They are both very interested in FPGA development work and whilst we
      > have develpment systems in the lab I can't hand them over to the
      > students for this period of time.
      >
      > I came across this low cost FPGA development board
      >
      > http://www.fpga4fun.com/board_Xylo.html
      >
      > With Ethernet, USB2, I2C, VGA etc and free development tools this
      > looks like a very inexpensive way to get into FPGA development. I see
      > that the FPGA code can be down loaded from the PC via USB2 and then
      > the PC can communicate with the FPGA at 35MBytes/s.
      >
      > I'm going to look at using this board to interface a high speed A/D
      > converter for the SoftRock and SDR1000.
      >
      > Phil.... VK6APH

      > Shortwave receivers
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Shortwave+receivers&w1=Shortwave+receivers&w2=Ham+radio&c=2&s=40&.sig=MB4yUGINw9tizVKS3Upr0w>
      > Ham radio
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Shortwave+receivers&w2=Ham+radio&c=2&s=40&.sig=XNtLoznpXE_hqNE4dvfaHA>

      Regards,
      John

      email: k5jhf@...
      photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
      files: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
      web page: http://www.geocities.com/k5jhf@...
      call sign: K5JHF
    • Leon Heller
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2005
        I'm presently supervising a couple of overseas engineering students whilst
        they do their industrial training. They need 12 weeks of practical
        experience so they can obtain their degrees.

        They are both very interested in FPGA development work and whilst we have
        develpment systems in the lab I can't hand them over to the students for
        this period of time.

        I came across this low cost FPGA development board

        http://www.fpga4fun.com/board_Xylo.html

        With Ethernet, USB2, I2C, VGA etc and free development tools this looks like
        a very inexpensive way to get into FPGA development. I see that the FPGA
        code can be down loaded from the PC via USB2 and then the PC can communicate
        with the FPGA at 35MBytes/s.

        I'm going to look at using this board to interface a high speed A/D
        converter for the SoftRock and SDR1000.

        I've got a Digilent Spartan 3 kit with a -400 Spartan 3 FPGA ($125):

        http://www.digilentinc.com/info/S3Board.cfm

        I've started designing an ADC interface for it.

        Leon
        --
        Leon Heller, G1HSM
        leon.heller@...

        ---
        [This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
        to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
        currently using to read this email. ]
      • John H. Fisher
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2005
          I'm wondering if you can replace the DDS with a FPGA numerically
          controlled oscillator. By this, I mean implementing a Phase Accumulator
          and a loadable Delta Phase register and adding them together at a fixed
          high speed rate. The upper two bits of the Phase Accumulator could
          control the sampling switches through logic. In other words create a
          special purpose DDS without the sine table. Then on to the ADC. Put as
          much of the SDR front end as possible into the FPGA :-) Just a thought
          of course. I want to learn about these FPGA's, too :-)

          Leon Heller wrote:

          > I've got a Digilent Spartan 3 kit with a -400 Spartan 3 FPGA ($125):
          >
          > http://www.digilentinc.com/info/S3Board.cfm
          >
          > I've started designing an ADC interface for it.
          >
          > Leon
          > --
          > Leon Heller, G1HSM
          > leon.heller@...
          > http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

          --
          Regards,
          John

          email: k5jhf@...
          photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
          files: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
          web page: http://www.geocities.com/k5jhf@...
          call sign: K5JHF
        • johanmaas2001
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 26, 2005
            Hi all,

            Iam also thinking of using the ADC pcm1804 24bits max 192KHz
            sampling rate.

            I was thinking todo the trick by using an ethernet controller which
            is sending only ethernet frames (no additional protocols like udp
            tcp and ip).

            But the speed of sampling of 192Khz is too high i think have to
            decrease the sampling rate to 44 Khz.... but with an fpga it must be
            possible to achieve the 192Khz speed; nice idea!

            How are you thinking todo the PC side for instance the sdr1000
            software... are you thinking of making an virtual soundcard driver
            or are you thinking of making an ethernet sniffer? I made use of
            software available at http://www.winpcap.org which can be used
            within the visual studio .net 2003.

            73 Johan PA3GSB

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Leon Heller" <leon.heller@b...>
            wrote:

> [...]
          • Phil Harman
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 26, 2005
              Hi John,

              The Xylo FPGA board that a number of us are experimenting with comes
              complete with a USB2 interface and sample C code for the PC that allows
              480Mbps comms with the PC.

              It looks like we can just read the left and right A/D data from a couple of
              buffers inside the C code so that no other drivers will be required.

              Progress so far has been good. Within the C code I can set up all the
              registers in the Wolfson A/D chip, over the USB2 and I2C interface on the
              FX2, and it is sending data to the FPGA. I can also send and receive data
              from the FPGA via the PC C program. Next I need to build an I2S interface
              in the FPGA to connect to the A/D chip.

              After spending some time looking at VHDL I've decided to use Verilog to
              program the FPGA since, being more like C, it seems much easier to learn.

              The sample HDL code and C code that comes with the Xylo board appears to be
              a very good starting point from which to develop the rest of the project.

              Good luck with your project.

              Phil...VK6APH

              > Iam also thinking of using the ADC pcm1804 24bits max 192KHz
              > sampling rate.
              >
              > I was thinking todo the trick by using an ethernet controller which
              > is sending only ethernet frames (no additional protocols like udp
              > tcp and ip).
              >
              > But the speed of sampling of 192Khz is too high i think have to
              > decrease the sampling rate to 44 Khz.... but with an fpga it must be
              > possible to achieve the 192Khz speed; nice idea!
              >
              > How are you thinking todo the PC side for instance the sdr1000
              > software... are you thinking of making an virtual soundcard driver
              > or are you thinking of making an ethernet sniffer? I made use of
              > software available at http://www.winpcap.org which can be used
              > within the visual studio .net 2003.
              >

              > 73 Johan PA3GSB
              >

              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Leon Heller" <leon.heller@b...>

            • johanmaas2001
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                Phil,

                Tnx for the reaction!

                Some part of your message i couldnot understand...

                Can you give some additional information of the used 'Wolfson A/D
                chip' and 'FX2'

                Regards,

                Johan PA3GSB

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Harman" <pvharman@a...>
                wrote:

                > Hi John,
                >
                > The Xylo FPGA board that a number of us are experimenting with
                comes
                > complete with a USB2 interface and sample C code for the PC that
                allows
                > 480Mbps comms with the PC.
                >
                > It looks like we can just read the left and right A/D data from a
                couple of
                > buffers inside the C code so that no other drivers will be
                required.

                > Progress so far has been good. Within the C code I can set up all
                the
                > registers in the Wolfson A/D chip, over the USB2 and I2C interface
                on the
                > FX2, and it is sending data to the FPGA. I can also send and
                receive data
                > from the FPGA via the PC C program. Next I need to build an I2S
                interface
                > in the FPGA to connect to the A/D chip.
                >
                > After spending some time looking at VHDL I've decided to use
                Verilog to
                > program the FPGA since, being more like C, it seems much easier to
                learn.

                > The sample HDL code and C code that comes with the Xylo board
                appears to be
                > a very good starting point from which to develop the rest of the
                project.

                > Good luck with your project.
                >
                > Phil...VK6APH

                24/11/2005

                > --
                24/11/2005

              • Phil Harman
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                  Johan,

                  The Xylo board has a Altera FPGA and a Cypress FX2 USB2 chip on it, see

                  www.fpga4fun.com/board_Xylo.html

                  The high performance A/D converter we are using is a Wolfson WM8785, see

                  http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/digital_audio/adcs/WM8785/

                  73's Phil... VK6APH

                  > Some part of your message i couldnot understand...
                  >
                  > Can you give some additional information of the used 'Wolfson A/D
                  > chip' and 'FX2'
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Johan PA3GSB
                  >

                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Harman" <pvharman@a...>
                  > wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hi John,
                  >>
                  >> The Xylo FPGA board that a number of us are experimenting with
                  > comes
                  >> complete with a USB2 interface and sample C code for the PC that
                  > allows
                  >> 480Mbps comms with the PC.
                  >>
                  >> It looks like we can just read the left and right A/D data from a
                  > couple of
                  >> buffers inside the C code so that no other drivers will be
                  > required.
                  >>
                  >> Progress so far has been good. Within the C code I can set up all
                  > the
                  >> registers in the Wolfson A/D chip, over the USB2 and I2C interface
                  > on the
                  >> FX2, and it is sending data to the FPGA. I can also send and
                  > receive data
                  >> from the FPGA via the PC C program. Next I need to build an I2S
                  > interface
                  >> in the FPGA to connect to the A/D chip.
                  >>
                  >> After spending some time looking at VHDL I've decided to use
                  > Verilog to
                  >> program the FPGA since, being more like C, it seems much easier to
                  > learn.
                  >>
                  >> The sample HDL code and C code that comes with the Xylo board
                  > appears to be
                  >> a very good starting point from which to develop the rest of the
                  > project.
                  >>
                  >> Good luck with your project.
                  >>
                  >> Phil...VK6APH

                • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                    Hi Phil,

                    May be this is a stupid question. Is it not possible to directly
                    interface the ADC chip's I2S data interface to the FX2 chip, so that
                    FPGA glue logic can be avoided or is there any specific reason for
                    using it?

                    Thanks
                    73
                    Ramakrishnan VU3RDD

                    --
                    Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD
                  • Robert McGwier
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                      I am having a hugely hard time figuring out what the Xylo board will do
                      for me that the GnuRadio USRP does not already do and the USRP with
                      GnuRadio has a bloody HUGE software base with it already (all open
                      source). In addition, the GnuRadio USRP has all sorts of hardware plug
                      on modules to turn it into all sorts of things. Could some please inform
                      me? The difference in price is about $300 but adding all things up side
                      by side, I just don't see it. Fix my ignorance please.

                      http://ettus.com

                      http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/

                      Bob

                      --
                      Laziness is the number one inspiration for ingenuity. Guilty as charged!
                    • pvharman@arach.net.au
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                        Bob,

                        This will do absolutely nothing for YOU. It's for people like me who are total
                        novices at these things, want to get their toes wet, and learn a little at low
                        cost.

                        Since the Xylo uses an Altera FPGA there is plenty of free code available e.g
                        www.opencores.org and people around that will help beginners. I hope to be
                        able to join the big boys one day soon too.

                        Phil...VK6APH

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                          Hi Ramakrishnan,

                          Not a stupid question at all and I can't see any reason why not. The mode I
                          have used the FX2 in before was where the chip 'gets out of the way' after
                          setting up the USB2 port so the full 480Mbps was available. I have not used
                          the FX2 where it is actually communicating with the USB data.

                          My reason for using the FPGA was mainly to learn a new technology and try to
                          do something in a different way to how I've done it in the past.

                          I find Verilog quite easy to learn and have a crude I2S interface to the A/D
                          working - and also having a lot of fun!

                          Phil... VK6APH

                        • Bill Tracey
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                            Things the Xylo has going for it:
                            Cost -- Xylo w' all connectors is $150, USRP $550. Xylo comes a
                            lot closer to 'no thought, knee jerk' buying than USRP
                            Windows oriented (this will not be a plus for all)
                            Ethernet support (sure one could do Ethernet on the USRP with the
                            appropriate FPGA code and some hardware to connect it)

                            Things the USRP has going for it
                            Open source everything (FPGA code, Schematics, applications)
                            Linux oriented (this will not be a plus for all)
                            On board hi speed A/D and D/A converters

                            The current thing folks are looking at with the Xylo is to interface a hi
                            quality 192khz, 24 bit Wolfson A/D converter to a computer for an SDR 1000,
                            SoftRock or other narrowband SDR style hardware. Some thoughts to trying
                            to do some of the quad signal generation and perhaps the QSD in the FPGA,
                            but I don't know how much serious work has been done on that as yet.

                            Ultimately, if folks are successful at using the Xylo to interface a
                            Wolfson then maybe a custom FPGA + Wolfson + FX2 + whatever board gets done
                            to bring the cost down -- I think the Xylo's just being used for initial
                            development and experimentation.

                            Regards,

                            Bill (kd5tfd)

                            At 06:54 PM 11/27/2005, Robert McGwier wrote:
                            >I am having a hugely hard time figuring out what the Xylo board will do
                            >for me that the GnuRadio USRP does not already do and the USRP with
                            >GnuRadio has a bloody HUGE software base with it already (all open
                            >source). In addition, the GnuRadio USRP has all sorts of hardware plug
                            >on modules to turn it into all sorts of things. Could some please inform
                            >me? The difference in price is about $300 but adding all things up side
                            >by side, I just don't see it. Fix my ignorance please.
                            >
                            ><http://ettus.com>http://ettus.com
                            >
                            >http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/
                            >
                            >Bob
                          • Robert McGwier
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                              Right. That is why I am asking. The USRP uses an Altera Cyclone part
                              and USB 2.0 and the same opencores will run on it, in addition there is
                              the huge body of software (GnuRadio) already done for it. If you want
                              to go the Xylo way (since you are already in), a good thing would be to
                              get the GnuRadio stuff to play as the back end of it. Quartus II Web
                              edition writes code for it, etc. Just making sure everyone understands
                              the options, plusses and minuses.

                              Bob

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                                Bill Tracey wrote:

                                >Things the Xylo has going for it:
                                > Cost -- Xylo w' all connectors is $150, USRP $550. Xylo comes a
                                >lot closer to 'no thought, knee jerk' buying than USRP
                                > Windows oriented (this will not be a plus for all)

                                Okay, the GnuRadio support for windows is in early stages but it
                                <<DOES>> run under MinGW. MinGW allows you to use Linux development
                                tools and compile native windows code. Stephane Fillod (Hamlib, etc.
                                fame) did this port.

                                > Ethernet support (sure one could do Ethernet on the USRP with the
                                >appropriate FPGA code and some hardware to connect it)

                                This is a plus.

                                >Things the USRP has going for it
                                > Open source everything (FPGA code, Schematics, applications)
                                > Linux oriented (this will not be a plus for all)
                                > On board hi speed A/D and D/A converters
                                >
                                >The current thing folks are looking at with the Xylo is to interface a hi
                                >quality 192khz, 24 bit Wolfson A/D converter to a computer for an SDR 1000,
                                >SoftRock or other narrowband SDR style hardware. Some thoughts to trying
                                >to do some of the quad signal generation and perhaps the QSD in the FPGA,
                                >but I don't know how much serious work has been done on that as yet.

                                The WM8786 and WM8785 are worth investigating.

                                >Ultimately, if folks are successful at using the Xylo to interface a
                                >Wolfson then maybe a custom FPGA + Wolfson + FX2 + whatever board gets done
                                >to bring the cost down -- I think the Xylo's just being used for initial
                                >development and experimentation.

                                Okay. I agree with Phil. I can't see it being useful to me at this
                                point in time. I am definitely moved on almost completely to
                                applications and optimization.

                                Bob

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                                  ecellison wrote:

                                  >Bob
                                  >
                                  >Well, I must admit that I had not considered the USRP although I have looked
                                  >at it over the past year or two, as well as listened to conversations about
                                  >it on Teamspeak.
                                  >
                                  >I did also see Bill's response and your responses.
                                  >
                                  >Aside from price there are a couple of other things favoring the Xylo for
                                  >fun and development:
                                  >
                                  >1. Very small size and powered from the USB port on the computer. Allowing a
                                  >carry anywhere, plug and go, programming tool.
                                  >
                                  >2. On board interfaces and drivers/code for VGA, JTAG, USB, I2C, LCD
                                  >interface, mounts for second oscillator daughter board (an offered option),
                                  >Plethora of I/O, power, etc on headers for testing external stuff.
                                  >
                                  >3. For the price, if you were developing code for say the FPGA on the USRP,
                                  >it could be easily tried on this board, on a business trip, (or at
                                  >Thanksgiving dinner with the family (I'm still in trouble(smile))) then
                                  >included in the USRP project. Although I only have a couple of days working
                                  >and studying the software and Verilog etc. It appears that Verilog and and
                                  >the tools offered by Altera they are very flexible towards porting code to
                                  >other FPGA devices. For $120 (forget the other connectors) the developers of
                                  >the USRP might just use this to develop code. I think that is what Phil
                                  >Covington is using it for.
                                  >
                                  >4. I guess for us non-programmers, non-experts, this is a modest priced,
                                  >just for fun learning project, which might yield something as serious as the
                                  >USRP in the end. It allows hobbyists to get involved at the cost of a
                                  >blinkey. Also it could be mounted as a controller board in a final product,
                                  >with a buss to carry the I/O and control.
                                  >
                                  >Eric2

                                  Good answers. I understand all of these considerations. The USRP has
                                  the USB interface period and some IO pins and it requires an external
                                  power supply.

                                  Bob

                                  --
                                  Laziness is the number one inspiration for ingenuity. Guilty as charged!
                                • Philip Covington
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                                    One design mistake with the USRP, IMO, is having the 64 MSPS A/D and
                                    125 MSPS D/As (AD9862s) on the same board as the FPGA and I/O
                                    sections. This locks you into the 12 bit A/Ds and 14 bit D/As chosen
                                    when that was the best available. Now Analog Devices has a 16 bit 100
                                    MSPS part (AD9446) available, for example. The board will not upgrade
                                    to new A/D and D/A devices without redesign. I prefer to separate the
                                    USB/FPGA I/O (going a little overkill on the FPGA size) and the data
                                    acquisition devices into separate modules so the latter can be
                                    upgraded as new parts are available. This may not be an optimal
                                    solution, but I think it is reasonable.

                                    This does not answer the question in regards to the Xylo board vs
                                    USRP... but the USRP is not the optimal solution for everything
                                    either.

                                    73 de Phil N8VB

                                    On 11/27/05, Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@...> wrote:
                                    > I am having a hugely hard time figuring out what the Xylo board will do
                                    > for me that the GnuRadio USRP does not already do and the USRP with
                                    > GnuRadio has a bloody HUGE software base with it already (all open
                                    > source). In addition, the GnuRadio USRP has all sorts of hardware plug
                                    > on modules to turn it into all sorts of things. Could some please inform
                                    > me? The difference in price is about $300 but adding all things up side
                                    > by side, I just don't see it. Fix my ignorance please.
                                    >
                                    > http://ettus.com
                                    >
                                    > http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/
                                    >
                                    > Bob
                                    >

                                    > --
                                    > Laziness is the number one inspiration for ingenuity. Guilty as charged!

                                    Philip A Covington
                                    http://www.philcovington.com
                                  • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 27, 2005
                                      Thanks Phil.

                                      Regards
                                      Ramakrishnan, VU3RDD

                                      --
                                      Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD
                                    • metebalci
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 28, 2008
                                        I guess RT2 (http://www.lekstutis.com/Artie/Ham/Projects/RT2.html) aims that. Is there any
                                        problem using an FPGA in this way ? Because it is quite straightforward. I mean something
                                        similar to softrock, but instead of clocking logic, use an FPGA in a DDS style (without lookup
                                        and DAC) and use FPGA output to enable bus switches.

                                        Mete

                                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "John H. Fisher" <k5jhf@...> wrote:

                                        > I'm wondering if you can replace the DDS with a FPGA numerically
                                        > controlled oscillator. By this, I mean implementing a Phase Accumulator
                                        > and a loadable Delta Phase register and adding them together at a fixed
                                        > high speed rate. The upper two bits of the Phase Accumulator could
                                        > control the sampling switches through logic. In other words create a
                                        > special purpose DDS without the sine table. Then on to the ADC. Put as
                                        > much of the SDR front end as possible into the FPGA :-) Just a thought
                                        > of course. I want to learn about these FPGA's, too :-)
                                      • k5nwa
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 28, 2008
                                          At 03:56 PM 4/28/2008, you wrote:

                                          I guess RT2 ( http://www.lekstutis.com/Artie/Ham/Projects/RT2.html) aims that. Is there any
                                          problem using an FPGA in this way ? Because it is quite straightforward. I mean something
                                          similar to softrock, but instead of clocking logic, use an FPGA in a DDS style (without lookup
                                          and DAC) and use FPGA output to enable bus switches.

                                          That technique will have considerable jitter, just adding a count to the register and using bits from the counter for the clock, the accuracy needed in the counters is quite high including lots of fractional bits before the jitter is tamed enough. But even that will do only so much, you need the clock to be as high as the logic can go, the higher the clock the better it will perform. A 1 GHz clock will give you 1 ns resolution hardly good enough. The SI570 uses a combination of variable clock and a Fractional divider to give you both good frequency resolution and clean output, but with a fixed FPGA clock you can't have both.

                                          The reason a DDS works quite well is that the counter is way bigger than the D/A and it provides for fractional outputs, the output filter also helps get rid of some of the noise by interpolating in-between values. DDS's have their own problems, lack of D/A resolution, unequal bit sizes, and feed through noise tend to make spurs appear.

                                          You will most likely be way better off by having the FPGA control the SI570 for the LO generation, and let the FPGA do the signal processing.

                                          Cecil
                                          K5NWA
                                          www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com