DDS-60 and DRM

  • pmartin45601
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
      With all the talk against the DDS-60 - in less critical applications
      such as DRM and casual SWL I've found the SR Lite (wideband modified)
      and a DDS-60 make a decent combination that can suit the frugal
      experimenter well enough. It sounds better than some SW radios I've
      owned in the past. Just my humble experience.
      Paul
    • hal_7351
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
        Paul,
        can you share your wide band modification and connection of your DDS to
        the SR Lite?

        Best regards
        Alberto

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "pmartin45601" <martinpd@...> wrote:

        > With all the talk against the DDS-60 - in less critical applications
        > such as DRM and casual SWL I've found the SR Lite (wideband modified)
        > and a DDS-60 make a decent combination that can suit the frugal
        > experimenter well enough. It sounds better than some SW radios I've
        > owned in the past. Just my humble experience.
        > Paul

      • Jason Hitesman
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
          On 2/2/07, hal_7351 <azagni@...> wrote:
          > Paul,
          > can you share your wide band modification and connection of your DDS to
          > the SR Lite?

          I can't answer about his DDS setup....but there's no modification
          required on the SRs to recieve DRM, I listen to RNZI with my v6 with
          the alternative SSB crystal that Tony offered (I can't remember what
          frequency off the top of my head.)

          I use DREAM for decoding and it can handle I/Q input directly. No
          need for any other software or modifications. In fact I spent a week
          trying to do it the hard way (using PowerSDR as a front end on one
          computer in DRM mode then passing it's output to another computer
          running dream....but I lost so much signal I could never lock on.)
          before realizing that DREAM could take the I/Q directly and just
          "work". IIRC the only trick is to use "-c 3" on the command line when
          you start DREAM. (I may be off on the 3 it's been awhile as RNZI
          shifted their schedule and I haven't had time to listen for a few
          months.)

          Just wish I could get my DDS-60 working so I could try to find some
          other DRM broadcasts to listen to. I managed to hook power to it
          backwards the first time I tried it and believe I fried the AD8008 as
          I can still see a signal on my scope but it's too low to be usefull.
          I e-mailed AMQRP asking for help finding a replacement AD8008 but had
          no response...couldn't find one on digikey or mouser...did find them
          at Analog available as samples and got two...but either something else
          is fried or I didn't get the right AD8008 (the part number was
          slightly different) as I still only get a very low level signal out of
          my DDS-60 and adjusting the trimpot makes no difference :(
        • Terry
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 2, 2007
            From Terry, WB4JFI:
            I ahve recently purchased (2 months( both AD8001 and AD8008 from
            Digikey. AD8008, do a parts search for AD8008ARM-ND. That is the
            Digikey number on the ESD bag. Cost was 5.27 each.

            Terry

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Hitesman"

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 4, 2007
              Sure. I had several unidentified T37 size toroids and settled on 10
              turns trifilar with one that seemed to give decent bandwidth and used
              that for T1. I got rid of everything forward of that towards the
              antenna and connected to a 20Mhz low pass filter. The DDS-60 is
              connected to pin 3 of U2 and R1 is opened on one side. The output of
              the DDS-60 drops way down in level beyond about 35Mhz so I may take
              it to the base of Q2 and see how that works. Once in a while it seems
              like I lose oscillation above about 14Mhz - like maybe I'm not
              driving the dividers hard enough. I may modify my DDS-60 to use the
              on-chip comparator and drive pins 3 and 11 of U3 directly. Most of
              the time the current setup works quite well. I am using G8JCF's
              latest SDR version to decode audio and also control the DDS-60.
              Paul N8ULS

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "hal_7351" <azagni@...> wrote:

              > Paul,
              > can you share your wide band modification and connection of your
              DDS to
              > the SR Lite?
              >
              > Best regards
              > Alberto
              >

              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "pmartin45601" <martinpd@> wrote:
              > >
              > > With all the talk against the DDS-60 - in less critical
              applications
              > > such as DRM and casual SWL I've found the SR Lite (wideband
              modified)
              > > and a DDS-60 make a decent combination that can suit the frugal
              > > experimenter well enough. It sounds better than some SW radios
              I've
              > > owned in the past. Just my humble experience.
              > > Paul

            • pmartin45601
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 4, 2007
                I should also add that I'm using an AD9832 in another setup feeding a
                diode DBM feeding another SR6.2Lite as a 444Khz IF also for DRM.
                Paul N8ULS

                wrote:

                > Sure. I had several unidentified T37 size toroids and settled on
                10
                > turns trifilar with one that seemed to give decent bandwidth and
                used
                > that for T1. I got rid of everything forward of that towards the
                > antenna and connected to a 20Mhz low pass filter. The DDS-60 is
                > connected to pin 3 of U2 and R1 is opened on one side. The output
                of
                > the DDS-60 drops way down in level beyond about 35Mhz so I may take
                > it to the base of Q2 and see how that works. Once in a while it
                seems
                > like I lose oscillation above about 14Mhz - like maybe I'm not
                > driving the dividers hard enough. I may modify my DDS-60 to use
                the
                > on-chip comparator and drive pins 3 and 11 of U3 directly. Most of
                > the time the current setup works quite well. I am using G8JCF's
                > latest SDR version to decode audio and also control the DDS-60.
                > Paul N8ULS
                >
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "hal_7351" <azagni@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Paul,
                > > can you share your wide band modification and connection of your
                > DDS to
                > > the SR Lite?
                > >
                > > Best regards
                > > Alberto
                > >

                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "pmartin45601" <martinpd@>
                wrote:

                > > > With all the talk against the DDS-60 - in less critical
                > applications
                > > > such as DRM and casual SWL I've found the SR Lite (wideband
                > modified)
                > > > and a DDS-60 make a decent combination that can suit the frugal
                > > > experimenter well enough. It sounds better than some SW radios
                > I've
                > > > owned in the past. Just my humble experience.
                > > > Paul

              • pmartin45601
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                  You can get the 8008 from AD as a sample - the same way you got the
                  9851.
                  Paul

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                    My DDS-60 doesn't drop as much as I thought. My favorite piece of
                    test gear went belly up some time ago and I'd been relying on my RF
                    probe for measurement. Calibrating it against my RF generator's
                    output I found the probe has significant roll-off above the HF range.
                    Turns out the DDS-60 is close to spec. I added a small amount of
                    bias to pin 3 of U2 by adding a 100k resistor to ground and also the
                    +5V supply. That seems to have cleaned things up. Now, all is well
                    in Paul land.
                    Paul N8ULS

                    wrote:

                    > Sure. I had several unidentified T37 size toroids and settled on
                    10
                    > turns trifilar with one that seemed to give decent bandwidth and
                    used
                    > that for T1. I got rid of everything forward of that towards the
                    > antenna and connected to a 20Mhz low pass filter. The DDS-60 is
                    > connected to pin 3 of U2 and R1 is opened on one side. The output
                    of
                    > the DDS-60 drops way down in level beyond about 35Mhz so I may take
                    > it to the base of Q2 and see how that works. Once in a while it
                    seems
                    > like I lose oscillation above about 14Mhz - like maybe I'm not
                    > driving the dividers hard enough. I may modify my DDS-60 to use
                    the
                    > on-chip comparator and drive pins 3 and 11 of U3 directly. Most of
                    > the time the current setup works quite well. I am using G8JCF's
                    > latest SDR version to decode audio and also control the DDS-60.
                    > Paul N8ULS
                    >
                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "hal_7351" <azagni@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Paul,
                    > > can you share your wide band modification and connection of your
                    > DDS to
                    > > the SR Lite?
                    > >
                    > > Best regards
                    > > Alberto
                    > >

                    > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "pmartin45601" <martinpd@>
                    wrote:

                    > > > With all the talk against the DDS-60 - in less critical
                    > applications
                    > > > such as DRM and casual SWL I've found the SR Lite (wideband
                    > modified)
                    > > > and a DDS-60 make a decent combination that can suit the frugal
                    > > > experimenter well enough. It sounds better than some SW radios
                    > I've
                    > > > owned in the past. Just my humble experience.
                    > > > Paul

                  • Jason Hitesman
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                      On 2/5/07, pmartin45601 <martinpd@...> wrote:
                      > You can get the 8008 from AD as a sample - the same way you got the
                      > 9851.

                      I did. Or at least I tried. Not sure if I got the right 8008. None
                      of the varients listed on Analogs website (that I found anyway)
                      matched the markings on the one that came with the DDS-60. I spent an
                      hour or two comparing data sheets as best as I could and ordered some
                      samples of one that sounded like it would work.

                      I swapped it into my DDS-60...but no luck. Not sure at this point if
                      I toasted something else in the DDS-60 when I hooked power up
                      backwards or if the version of the 8008 I got doesn't play nice for
                      some reason I missed in the data sheets.

                      The original 8008 in my DDS-60 was labeled:
                      8008A
                      (Analog logo) #0429
                      97085

                      The replacements I got are labeled:
                      AD8008
                      AR0229
                      K37050

                      Not sure why I didn't find them on Digikey before...I just tried again
                      and got 12 options. But other than knowing I need the soic package
                      I'm still not sure which ad8008 I need. It looks like the two options
                      are the AD8008AR (which is also what the ones I got direct from Analog
                      were listed as ) or the AD8008ARZ but I'm not shure what the
                      difference is (other than Digikey doesn't have any AR's in stock but
                      do have quite a few ARZ's.)

                      Fixing my DDS has been on the back burner for awhile due to other
                      projects and not knowing where to go for help with it. Still not sure
                      what I should be looking for next. I can see the output of the DDS
                      itself going into the 8008 with my scope, and can see the frequency
                      change as I adjust the MS-DDS-60 I use to control it. So I don't
                      think I fried the 9851 (though I do have a spare on hand...but was
                      saving it for another project)

                      Would be nice to get it working though and be able to tune one of my
                      SR's aroudn a bit more to look for other DRM broadcasts (though I'm
                      not sure how many I'll be able to hear from here in southern AZ with a
                      minimal antenna.)
                    • Lee Mairs (SAG)
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                        I built my first home computer from a Popular Electronics article back
                        in 1973. It had a whopping 256 bytes of memory and used an 8008 as the
                        CPU...
                        73 de Le
                        KM4YY/8

                        Jason Hitesman wrote:
                        > On 2/5/07, pmartin45601 <martinpd@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> You can get the 8008 from AD as a sample - the same way you got the
                        >> 9851.
                        >>

                        > I did. Or at least I tried. Not sure if I got the right 8008. None
                        > of the varients listed on Analogs website (that I found anyway)
                        > matched the markings on the one that came with the DDS-60. I spent an
                        > hour or two comparing data sheets as best as I could and ordered some
                        > samples of one that sounded like it would work.
                        >
                        > I swapped it into my DDS-60...but no luck. Not sure at this point if
                        > I toasted something else in the DDS-60 when I hooked power up
                        > backwards or if the version of the 8008 I got doesn't play nice for
                        > some reason I missed in the data sheets.
                        >
                        > The original 8008 in my DDS-60 was labeled:
                        > 8008A
                        > (Analog logo) #0429
                        > 97085
                        >
                        > The replacements I got are labeled:
                        > AD8008
                        > AR0229
                        > K37050
                        >
                        > Not sure why I didn't find them on Digikey before...I just tried again
                        > and got 12 options. But other than knowing I need the soic package
                        > I'm still not sure which ad8008 I need. It looks like the two options
                        > are the AD8008AR (which is also what the ones I got direct from Analog
                        > were listed as ) or the AD8008ARZ but I'm not shure what the
                        > difference is (other than Digikey doesn't have any AR's in stock but
                        > do have quite a few ARZ's.)
                        >
                        > Fixing my DDS has been on the back burner for awhile due to other
                        > projects and not knowing where to go for help with it. Still not sure
                        > what I should be looking for next. I can see the output of the DDS
                        > itself going into the 8008 with my scope, and can see the frequency
                        > change as I adjust the MS-DDS-60 I use to control it. So I don't
                        > think I fried the 9851 (though I do have a spare on hand...but was
                        > saving it for another project)
                        >
                        > Would be nice to get it working though and be able to tune one of my
                        > SR's aroudn a bit more to look for other DRM broadcasts (though I'm
                        > not sure how many I'll be able to hear from here in southern AZ with a
                        > minimal antenna.)
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • pmartin45601
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                          As long as the physical size is the same, any of the AD8008's should
                          work. Usually different suffixes just indicate improved specs,
                          different temperature specs, mil specs or no lead content. As long as
                          U3 survived and is regulating at 5V I don't see what else could be
                          wrong unless R2, R3, or R18 got zapped when U1 failed. I would be
                          curious to hear what you find.
                          Paul

                        • Lawrence
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                            From: "Lee Mairs (SAG)"

                            >I built my first home computer from a Popular Electronics
                            >article back
                            > in 1973. It had a whopping 256 bytes of memory and used
                            > an 8008 as the
                            > CPU...
                            > 73 de Le
                            > KM4YY/8

                            Looks like a recycled part number. I doubt that the AD8008
                            dual high speed amp would work well as a vintage CPU!

                            http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0%2C2877%2CAD8008%2C00.html

                            73, Lawrence GJ3RAX
                          • pmartin45601
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                              I think you mean an 8080? The 8008 is an rf op amp.
                              I built my first computer about then, too. Back then 16K (that's
                              right "K")of memory cost me $300. I just bought a 1 Gig thumb drive
                              for $19. Unbelieveable.
                              Paul

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Mairs (SAG)" <lmairs@...>
                              wrote:

> [...]
                              but
                              > > do have quite a few ARZ's.)
                              > >
                              > > Fixing my DDS has been on the back burner for awhile due to other
                              > > projects and not knowing where to go for help with it. Still not
                              sure
                              > > what I should be looking for next. I can see the output of the
                              DDS
                              > > itself going into the 8008 with my scope, and can see the
                              frequency
                              > > change as I adjust the MS-DDS-60 I use to control it. So I don't
                              > > think I fried the 9851 (though I do have a spare on hand...but was
                              > > saving it for another project)
                              > >
                              > > Would be nice to get it working though and be able to tune one of
                              my
                              > > SR's aroudn a bit more to look for other DRM broadcasts (though
                              I'm
                              > > not sure how many I'll be able to hear from here in southern AZ

                            • Lee Mairs (SAG)
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                                The 8008 was the first 8 bit chip preceded the 8080 by about 3-4
                                years. I built an 8080/Z80 as my second machine using an Imsai front
                                panel and a home mode S-100 mother board bus.
                                73 de Lee
                                KM4YY/8

                                pmartin45601 wrote:
                                > I think you mean an 8080? The 8008 is an rf op amp.
                                > I built my first computer about then, too. Back then 16K (that's
                                > right "K")of memory cost me $300. I just bought a 1 Gig thumb drive
                                > for $19. Unbelieveable.
                                > Paul
                                >
                                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Mairs (SAG)" <lmairs@...>
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                >> I built my first home computer from a Popular Electronics article
                                >>
                                > back
                                >
                                >> in 1973. It had a whopping 256 bytes of memory and used an 8008 as
                                >>
                                > the
                                >
                                >> CPU...
                                >> 73 de Le
                                >> KM4YY/8
                                >>

                                >> Jason Hitesman wrote:

                                > the

                                >>> I did. Or at least I tried. Not sure if I got the right 8008.
                                >>>
                                > None
                                >
                                >>> of the varients listed on Analogs website (that I found anyway)
                                >>> matched the markings on the one that came with the DDS-60. I
                                >>>
                                > spent an
                                >
                                >>> hour or two comparing data sheets as best as I could and ordered
                                >>>
                                > some
                                >
                                >>> samples of one that sounded like it would work.
                                >>>
                                >>> I swapped it into my DDS-60...but no luck. Not sure at this
                                >>>
                                > point if
                                >
                                >>> I toasted something else in the DDS-60 when I hooked power up
                                >>> backwards or if the version of the 8008 I got doesn't play nice
                                >>>
                                > for
                                >
                                >>> some reason I missed in the data sheets.
                                >>>
                                >>> The original 8008 in my DDS-60 was labeled:
                                >>> 8008A
                                >>> (Analog logo) #0429
                                >>> 97085
                                >>>
                                >>> The replacements I got are labeled:
                                >>> AD8008
                                >>> AR0229
                                >>> K37050
                                >>>
                                >>> Not sure why I didn't find them on Digikey before...I just tried
                                >>>
                                > again
                                >
                                >>> and got 12 options. But other than knowing I need the soic
                                >>>
                                > package
                                >
                                >>> I'm still not sure which ad8008 I need. It looks like the two
                                >>>
                                > options
                                >
                                >>> are the AD8008AR (which is also what the ones I got direct from
                                >>>
                                > Analog
                                >
                                >>> were listed as ) or the AD8008ARZ but I'm not shure what the
                                >>> difference is (other than Digikey doesn't have any AR's in stock
                                >>>
                                > but
                                >
                                >>> do have quite a few ARZ's.)
                                >>>
                                >>> Fixing my DDS has been on the back burner for awhile due to other
                                >>> projects and not knowing where to go for help with it. Still not
                                >>>
                                > sure
                                >
                                >>> what I should be looking for next. I can see the output of the
                                >>>
                                > DDS
                                >
                                >>> itself going into the 8008 with my scope, and can see the
                                >>>
                                > frequency
                                >
                                >>> change as I adjust the MS-DDS-60 I use to control it. So I don't
                                >>> think I fried the 9851 (though I do have a spare on hand...but was
                                >>> saving it for another project)
                                >>>
                                >>> Would be nice to get it working though and be able to tune one of
                                >>>
                                > my
                                >
                                >>> SR's aroudn a bit more to look for other DRM broadcasts (though
                                >>>
                                > I'm
                                >
                                >>> not sure how many I'll be able to hear from here in southern AZ
                                >>>
                                > with a
                                >
                                >>> minimal antenna.)
                                >>>

                                >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • n1ist
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                                  1973 sounds right for the Mark 8, which was based on the Intel 8008
                                  processor (different from the AD8008 opamp or 8008 rectifier).

                                  That was published in Radio Electronics; I don't recall any 8008
                                  articles in Pop Tronics. The 8080 article (The Altair) was in January
                                  of 1975; they also had projects based on the Motorola 6800 (Altair
                                  680) and RCA 1802 (Cosmac Elf - my first computer).

                                  /mike

                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "pmartin45601" <martinpd@...> wrote:

                                  > I think you mean an 8080? The 8008 is an rf op amp.
                                  > I built my first computer about then, too. Back then 16K (that's
                                  > right "K")of memory cost me $300. I just bought a 1 Gig thumb drive
                                  > for $19. Unbelieveable.
                                  > Paul
                                  >
                                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Mairs (SAG)" <lmairs@>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I built my first home computer from a Popular Electronics article
                                  > back
                                  > > in 1973. It had a whopping 256 bytes of memory and used an 8008
                                • jabauzit
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                                    <jhitesma+softrock@...> wrote:

                                    > On 2/5/07, pmartin45601 <martinpd@...> wrote:
                                    > Not sure why I didn't find them on Digikey before...I just tried again
                                    > and got 12 options. But other than knowing I need the soic package
                                    > I'm still not sure which ad8008 I need. It looks like the two options
                                    > are the AD8008AR (which is also what the ones I got direct from Analog
                                    > were listed as ) or the AD8008ARZ but I'm not shure what the
                                    > difference is (other than Digikey doesn't have any AR's in stock but
                                    > do have quite a few ARZ's.)

                                    The Z means RoHS compliant: no lead.

                                    Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
                                  • Terry
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                                      Regarding an AD8008ARZ, the Z is used by Analog Devices to show a
                                      part is lead-free. Therefore, the AR and ARZ should be the same.
                                      The last ones I bought from Digikey are AD8008ARM, bought in late
                                      2006. I don't think there is more than one layout of the AD8008, so
                                      you may have something else wrong. I forget if you had any output
                                      from the DDS or not. Yu might check the voltage regulator, then
                                      check the clock oscillator for output, then the DDS chip itself. If
                                      there's nothing at all on the DDS out, make sure there is VCC right
                                      on the chips themselves. Sometimes a short (reverse voltage) can
                                      burn up a trace.

                                      Yea, I built one of the first Mark-8 (8008-based) computers in the
                                      Washington DC area in 1974. I hated those 1101 RAM chips, and the
                                      stupid bus wires of the original Mark-8! We had just put up the
                                      Metrovision ATV repeater (WR4AAG), and Bruce WB4YTU and I were
                                      looking for something to play with. I built the Mark-8 computer,
                                      Bruce built the character generator and wrote the software, and we
                                      had the Mark-8 programmable from homes using simple keyboards for
                                      programming and the CG for info back to the user. Having a video
                                      repeater made that easy. There were some very neat animated CQs
                                      generated on the CG by loading each page separately, then page-
                                      flipping them within the CG itself. Then, the computer bug bit me,
                                      and I haven't been sane since then. Several Homebrew S-100
                                      comptuers, Altairs, Imsais, etc...

                                      I just retired and moved from DC to Charleston, SC. One of the key
                                      pieces of technology I brought was my original Imsai, it still boots
                                      CP/M and runs Wordstar. I' trying to gather the time to build
                                      several new bootable 8" floppies, I have only two left that boot
                                      CP/M. Darn it, I cannot remember how to PIP, MoveCPM, DDT, etc
                                      anymore. But, I can still compile 8080 and Z80 assembly code. That
                                      brings job security!!

                                      But, I digress....
                                      Terry

                                      wrote:

                                      > The 8008 was the first 8 bit chip preceded the 8080 by about 3-4
                                      > years. I built an 8080/Z80 as my second machine using an Imsai
                                      front
                                      > panel and a home mode S-100 mother board bus.
                                      > 73 de Lee
                                      > KM4YY/8
                                      >

                                      > pmartin45601 wrote:
                                      > > I think you mean an 8080? The 8008 is an rf op amp.
                                      > > I built my first computer about then, too. Back then 16K (that's
                                      > > right "K")of memory cost me $300. I just bought a 1 Gig thumb
                                      drive
                                      > > for $19. Unbelieveable.
                                      > > Paul
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Mairs (SAG)" <lmairs@>
                                      > > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > >> I built my first home computer from a Popular Electronics
                                      article

                                      > > back
                                      > >
                                      > >> in 1973. It had a whopping 256 bytes of memory and used an 8008
                                      as

                                      > > the
                                      > >
                                      > >> CPU...
                                      > >> 73 de Le
                                      > >> KM4YY/8

                                      > > the

                                      > > None

                                      > > spent an

                                      > > some

                                      > > point if

                                      > > for

                                      > > again

                                      > > package

                                      > > options

                                      > > Analog

                                      > > but

                                      > > sure

                                      > > DDS

                                      > > frequency

                                      > > my

                                      > > I'm

                                      > > with a

                                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Terry
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                                        The Mark-8 article was in the July 1974 issue of Radio Electronics.
                                        I still have it. I should also have the original TV Typewriter
                                        article, and I hope my original TV Typewriter hardware made it
                                        through the move. I wish I could find an original Mark-8!!!
                                        Terry

                                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n1ist" <n1ist@...> wrote:

                                        > 1973 sounds right for the Mark 8, which was based on the Intel 8008
                                        > processor (different from the AD8008 opamp or 8008 rectifier).
                                        >
                                        > That was published in Radio Electronics; I don't recall any 8008
                                        > articles in Pop Tronics. The 8080 article (The Altair) was in
                                        January
                                        > of 1975; they also had projects based on the Motorola 6800 (Altair
                                        > 680) and RCA 1802 (Cosmac Elf - my first computer).
                                        >
                                        > /mike
                                        >

                                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "pmartin45601" <martinpd@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I think you mean an 8080? The 8008 is an rf op amp.
                                        > > I built my first computer about then, too. Back then 16K (that's
                                        > > right "K")of memory cost me $300. I just bought a 1 Gig thumb
                                        drive
                                        > > for $19. Unbelieveable.
                                        > > Paul
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Mairs (SAG)" <lmairs@>
                                        > > wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I built my first home computer from a Popular Electronics
                                        article
                                        > > back
                                        > > > in 1973. It had a whopping 256 bytes of memory and used an 8008

                                      • Ronald Fleshman
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                                          I beleive the CPM Peripheral Interchange Command format is
                                          A>PIP B: = File1.txt
                                          This assumes that the file File1.txt  is on the A drive,  and is to be copied to the B drive
                                          A>PIP B: copy1.bak = File1.txt
                                          Will copy the file File1.txt from the A drive to the B drive and rename from File1.txt to copy1.bak
                                          Ron Fleshman

                                          wrote:

                                          > The 8008 was the first 8 bit chip preceded the 8080 by about 3-4
                                          > years. I built an 8080/Z80 as my second machine using an Imsai
                                          front
                                          > panel and a home mode S-100 mother board bus.
                                          > 73 de Lee
                                          > KM4YY/8
                                          >

                                          > pmartin45601 wrote:
                                          > > I think you mean an 8080? The 8008 is an rf op amp.
                                          > > I built my first computer about then, too. Back then 16K (that's
                                          > > right "K")of memory cost me $300. I just bought a 1 Gig thumb
                                          drive
                                          > > for $19. Unbelieveable.
                                          > > Paul
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Lee Mairs (SAG)" <lmairs@>
                                          > > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > >> I built my first home computer from a Popular Electronics
                                          article

                                          > > back
                                          > >
                                          > >> in 1973. It had a whopping 256 bytes of memory and used an 8008
                                          as

                                          > > the
                                          > >
                                          > >> CPU...
                                          > >> 73 de Le
                                          > >> KM4YY/8

                                          > > the

                                          > > None

                                          > > spent an

                                          > > some

                                          > > point if

                                          > > for

                                          > > again

                                          > > package

                                          > > options

                                          > > Analog

                                          > > but

                                          > > sure

                                          > > DDS

                                          > > frequency

                                          > > my

                                          > > I'm

                                          > > with a

                                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Jason Hitesman
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 5, 2007
                                            On 2/5/07, Terry <wb4jfi@...> wrote:
                                            > Regarding an AD8008ARZ, the Z is used by Analog Devices to show a
                                            > part is lead-free. Therefore, the AR and ARZ should be the same.
                                            > The last ones I bought from Digikey are AD8008ARM, bought in late
                                            > 2006. I don't think there is more than one layout of the AD8008, so
                                            > you may have something else wrong. I forget if you had any output
                                            > from the DDS or not. Yu might check the voltage regulator, then
                                            > check the clock oscillator for output, then the DDS chip itself. If
                                            > there's nothing at all on the DDS out, make sure there is VCC right
                                            > on the chips themselves. Sometimes a short (reverse voltage) can
                                            > burn up a trace.

                                            There is output from the DDS. The voltage regulator was the first
                                            thing I replaced as it was pretty obvious when it let out the magic
                                            smoke and left a crater behind instead. That was an obvious fix :D

                                            R3, or R18 " I checked every resistor on there and they all checked
                                            out.

                                            The Oscillator check out and I can see the DDS output all the way to
                                            pin3 of the AD8008...but get nothing on it's output. Even after
                                            swapping to the AD8008AR sample I got. Voltages to everything also
                                            check out.

                                            Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. The old computer talk
                                            isn't bad either :D