Re: Embossing tool? Re: [softrock40] Re: Removal Of Residual Solder Paste??

  • S. Cash Olsen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2007
      Jerry,

      Probably. But it might be able to produce to much heat so you need to experiment first.

      ------------------
      Method One
      ------------------
      If you have an old electronic device that uses surface mount parts, an old wireless phone or some other consumer device that has quit working. Start by warming the board and parts with the beverage warmer, then apply the hot air from about three inches above the board. It should take about three minutes the solder to become molten and you may be able to simply push parts off of the board with a knife blade or similar tool. If it takes less than three minutes move farther away and if it takes more than three minutes move a little closer.

      The good part of the this method is that you won't ruin any parts that you need for your kit. The probability of ruining parts is not very great in the first place, so don't be too concerned.

      ---------------------------
      Alternative Method
      ---------------------------
      Practice on a circuit board with paste only to determine the proper way to use it. First put some paste on a dozen or so pad of various sizes. Don't put any parts in on the board at this time.

      Next place the board on the warmer for several minutes. Then use your hot air gun and starting at least three inches above the board apply heat, moving the stream of air constantly. The melting time should be approximatly three full minutes.

      If your hot air gun melted the solder in less than three minutes your going have to compensate by moving farther away, you might have to repeat the test and second or third time to make adjustments to you process.

      If you hot air gun did not melt the solder in three minutes repeat the tests moving the hot air a little closer.

      When your all finished, use some solderwick and remove the solder from the pads to ckean it up for futher use.

      Cash Olsen

      Kits to build Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer http://www.zianet.com/erg
      Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer website http://www.cpu-net.com/host/wsprowls
      Sam Wetterlin's website http://www.wetterlin.org/sam/

      Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 8:36 AM
      Subject: Embossing tool? Re: [softrock40] Re: Removal Of Residual Solder Paste??

      I have a hot air gun:

      http://www.harborfr eight.com/ cpi/ctaf/ Category. taf?CategoryID= 107&pricetype=

      Used to shrink wrap. etc. Is this like the embossing tool you guys
      are using? Does the embossing tool just blow hot air?

      Jerry W4UK

    • Loren Moline WA7SKT
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 29, 2007
        Hello all,

        I have only built one Softrock receiver so far but as for the one I
        built...this does not represent a difficult enough task to use solder paste
        or hot air.

        A small tip and small solder is all I needed and was no bother to do. But I
        guess if one is used to soldering this way then its a good idea.

        Loren

        http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_donation&FORM=WLMTAG