TX coverage is limited to about +/- 20 kHz from the center frequency

  • Bill Dumke
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
      Tony,

      Why is the " TX coverage is limited to about +/- 20 kHz from the center
      frequency"?

      Bill WA9PWR

      From message 7604:

      "Good Morning All,

      Please give me some feedback on what center frequencies you would like
      to see when the RXTX kit goes into production. Keep in mind that the
      TX coverage is limited to about +/- 20 kHz from the center frequency.

      The two crystals provided in the beta kit, 28.06 MHz and 28.224 MHz,
      gave pretty good 40m CW coverage with center frequencies of about
      7.014 MHz and 7.055 MHz. This gave TX band coverage from the bottom
      of the band to 7.034 MHz with the 28.06 MHz crystal and from 7.035 MHz
      to 7.075 MHz with the 28.224 MHz crystal.

      Also let me know what band coverage would be of interest for 40m SSB,
      80m operation, and 160m operation. The 30m case is easy since a 40.5
      MHz crystal gives a center frequency of about 10.124 MHz and TX
      coverage will be most of the band.

      Thanks and 73,
      Tony KB9YIG"
    • tom_iphi
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
        Hi,

        the TX coverage is limited by the soundcard you have. Most soundcards
        out there are limited to 20kHz thus the +-20kHz limit.
        The bandwidth of the softrock TX is much larger, though.

        73, Tom DG8SAQ