Re: [softrock40] RXTX 6.1, bands and SSB

  • kd4e
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
      What would it cost to get a full set of those and a
      similar set for 80M?

      Would it be necessary to socket them or might they
      be outboarded and switched, please?

      I am not familiar enough with the dynamics of the
      circuit design to speculate.

      --

      Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
      Have a joy-filled New Year!
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
        Tony,

        Is this true?  Is the only purpose of a SoftRock TxRx to be on receive a panadapter?

        I was assuming that it could be used  up to where the windowing gave out, on both Tx and Rx.  (For 96kHz sampling this would be about +/- 43 kHz.)

        Bill WA9PWR

        jabauzit wrote:

        Bill, WA9PWR wrote

        > A set of 7.040, 7.120, 7.200, and 7.280 MHz center frequencies would
        > cover the entire 40 meter band with some overlap with a 96 kHz
        > sampling sound card.

        This is fine for receive, but for transmit I remember seeing something
        like +/-20kHz to comply with the FCC requirements regarding the
        quality of the signal.

        > Also setting Rocky to 0 center frequency it could be used to
        > accurately determine operating frequencies. Just need to add to or
        > subtract from the chosen center frequency.

        Why not just enter the center frequency and use the multi band feature
        of Rocky, which you should do as you can calibrate amplitude/phase
        correction for each band.

        Jean-Claude, PJ2BVU

      • jabauzit
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
          See message 7604.

          Jean-Claude, PJ2BVU
        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
            Hi Bill,

            The RX coverage with a SoftRock receiver or the RX function in the RXTX can be +/- 48 kHz from the center frequency if the soundcard can sample at 96 kHz.  The line-out stereo signal from soundcards is more band limited and in some soundcards has high noise above 20 kHz.  Thus the RXTX is limited to about +/-20 kHz TX tuning range from the center frequency.  Also there will be a few kHz lost round the center frequency.  I feel even with the more limited TX tuning range that the RXTX can still be a useful little rig and several who have been using the RXTX on the air have made a number of QSOs with various modes.

            Thanks for your interest in the project.

            73,
            Tony KB9YIG

            Is this true?  Is the only purpose of a SoftRock TxRx to be on receive a panadapter?

            I was assuming that it could be used  up to where the windowing gave out, on both Tx and Rx.  (For 96kHz sampling this would be about +/- 43 kHz.)

            Bill WA9PWR

            Bill, WA9PWR wrote

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
              Doc,

              Good question.  I don't know.

              They would have to be fundamental mode at 4 times the crystal frequency I gave for Tony's oscillator circuit.  Also I think it would be good to have a series trimmer capacitor with possibly a fixed capacitor in parallel with the trimmer to trim the frequency for best accuracy for each crystal.   And then order the crystals for 32 pf load capacitance or something like that.

              I believe Tony has been getting his crystals from DigiKey and other vendors where the crystals are manufactured in high volume for specific tasks like computer clock oscillators, for example.  So there isn't much of a choice in frequencies, although they are very cheap.

              I don't think this would be very practical for each band.  And I don't recommend using the dual band design anyway.  The front end filter in that radio's receiver is wide open to a lot of things.  I don't believe in chasing signals that are not there.

              From an earlier post:

              "I just did a quick check on the RXTX V6.1 prototype and I needed to
              inject an S8 Signal (30uV) on 3539 Khz to measure a 10dB Sinad
              response when tuned to 7067 Khz. So there is a harmonic response
              however I have not found too much of a problem listening in the current
              band condx.

              Jan G0BBL"

              Let me give International Crystal a phone call Tuesday and find out how much it would cost for a set of 4 crystals for full coverage operation at 40 meters.

              (Others are using DDS-60's for digital frequency control, but these have a lot of spurs.  I wouldn't trust them in transmit.)

              Bill WA9PWR

              --

              Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
              Have a joy-filled New Year!

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
                Tony,

                Thanks for the reply.

                I am using a Delta 44 sound card so I should be fine. (Another good reason for a Delta 44)

                Bill WA9PWR

                Tony Parks wrote:

[...]

                Bill, WA9PWR wrote

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
                  The best new prices I see are the Delta 44 at $149.
                  and the Delta 66 at $189.

                  Is the Delta 66 worth the $40. difference and is it
                  a better long-term investment tracking with the
                  future features of SoftRock hardware and software?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
                    Doc,

                    My guess is the next generation of these SDR receivers will use a USB device instead of a sound card.   But for right now, the Delta 44 is the best way to go.  The Delta 66 doesn't offer anything more that would work with a SoftRock.   You still need analog audio.  It's just that in some places it is hard to find the Delta 44 cards now.

                    Bill WB5TCO

                    --

                    Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
                    Have a joy-filled New Year!

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2007
                      Good info! Will focus on the Delta 44.

                      I have found the Delta 44 for $139. on sale with
                      free shipping and $129. refurbished.

                      Now what can I sell to find that new money? :-)

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 5, 2007
                        Doc,

                        Got a quote back from International Crystal:

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 7, 2007

                          --

                          Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
                          Have a joy-filled New Year!