Basic

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
      Glacier
      Hi all- New to list. I've been looking at several SDRs and see that most are very expensive; ICOM 1500 is about $350 and the SDR-1000 is $1400 or so. Is the SR40 v6.x rig complete for only under $15? Am I missing something basic?

      ----------
      Dave

    • KD5NWA
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
        Dave wrote:
        > Hi all- New to list. I've been looking at several SDRs and see that most
        > are very expensive; ICOM 1500 is about $350 and the SDR-1000 is $1400 or
        > so. Is the SR40 v6.x rig complete for only under $15? Am I missing
        > something basic?
        >
        > ----------
        > Dave

        The SoftRock is a "technology sampler" it can not compete with a $1500
        radio, it has no case, limited coverage, but given it's price it
        performs exceedingly well if you have a good sound card.

        Looking at the specs of the Icom, it's not very sensitive compared to
        the SoftRock, some would debate if the Icom is a SDR, instead they would
        label it a remotely controlled radio.

        --

        Cecil
        KD5NWA

        "Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!" Don Seglio Batuna
      • kerrygeek1
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2007
          What do you mean, it doesn't have a case? Mine does, I'll post a
          picture of it shortly under my callsign in the photos section if I can
          figure out how to do it. Mine has a case with a closing lid, battery
          clip for a 9v internal battery, on/off mini slide switch and a BNC
          antenna connector!

          Ok, really the case is a little metal tin some mints came in from a
          Citrix vendor... The switch, battery clip and BNC connector all came
          from Radio Shack here in town. I didn't have any RG-174 so I used
          RG-8 to run from the board to the connector but the shield fell apart
          on me so I used a short length of hookup wire for the antenna
          ground/return line.

          I did have a problem getting the balance working, I had an image for
          every signal. My computer is running Windows 2000 Pro, I tried
          installing the other software (FlexSDR?) and had to install several
          patches including MDAC 2.8. Before I did that, Rocky couldn't get any
          data for the I/Q balance. After I installed the new MDAC, it started
          working and my image problem is gone. On my XP computer, it didn't
          need any of those patches but apparently W2K needs the patches.

          73,
          Kerry, WD5ABC
          PS I like my 20m kit so much, I may get a 40m so I'll have something
          to listen to in the evenings. When I get home from work, 20m is
          already closed.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, KD5NWA <kd5nwa@...> wrote:

          > Dave wrote:
          > > Hi all- New to list. I've been looking at several SDRs and see
          that most
          > > are very expensive; ICOM 1500 is about $350 and the SDR-1000 is
          $1400 or
          > > so. Is the SR40 v6.x rig complete for only under $15? Am I missing
          > > something basic?
          > >
          > > ----------
          > > Dave
          > >

          > The SoftRock is a "technology sampler" it can not compete with a $1500
          > radio, it has no case, limited coverage, but given it's price it
          > performs exceedingly well if you have a good sound card.
          >
          > Looking at the specs of the Icom, it's not very sensitive compared to
          > the SoftRock, some would debate if the Icom is a SDR, instead they
          would
          > label it a remotely controlled radio.
          >
          > --
          >
          > Cecil
          > KD5NWA
          > www.qrpradio.com www.hpsdr.com
          >
          > "Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!" Don Seglio Batuna

        • Marco IK1ODO
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2007
            At 02.40 03/01/2007, you wrote:

            >Hi all- New to list. I've been looking at several SDRs and see that
            >most are very expensive; ICOM 1500 is about $350 and the SDR-1000 is
            >$1400 or so. Is the SR40 v6.x rig complete for only under $15? Am I
            >missing something basic?
            >
            >----------
            >Dave

            Dave,

            the SoftRock family of kits is a fantastic opportunity to get
            involved in SDR without spending a fortune. The performance is
            excellent, and you learn a lot of things building and using one. The
            final performance depends on the available software, and there are a
            lot around to try: Rocky, KGKSDR, Winrad, Spectravue, PowerSdr...
            (I'm sure I'm forgetting some) all run on the SoftRock and are public
            domain, so you may try, compare and understand. What more for $14 and
            three hours of assembly?

            The SDR field is evolving quickly, but still this is a very good
            entry point. 2000 messages have been posted on this group in the last
            four months - a tribute to people's interest and to the work of Tony,
            G0BBL and all the others that contributed.

            73 - Marco IK1ODO