0 - 1.7 GHz Spectrum Analyzer - Make your own for $66

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 1 of 42 , Sep 4, 2014
    In the thread "LPF Question" , Joel KB6QVI, wistfully wishes for a spectrum analyzer to assure that his RXTX + multiple amplifier setup is making clean SSB. It is a worthy goal that I wish many hams would long for, considering the mess we see on the bands. But spectrum analyzers are really expensive right?

    Not!

    Attached is a diagram of of a perfectly capable, 0.0 - 1.7 GHz spectrum analyzer that will allow you to see spectrum at up to 3.8 MHz at once, with a resolution bandwidth of 0.7 Hz! This perfectly capable instrument, combined with a freeware two-tone audio generator app, will allow you to test and confirm your intermodulation and spurious signals just like the big guys and with nearly the same accuracy if you calibrate it.

    There are two sections to the analzyer. The basic 24 - 1700 MHz section can be done for less than $15. If you are not interested in HF then this is all you need. To extend the range down to DC you need to add the converter section which is driven by an outrageously expensive DDS synthesizer at $44 dollars.

    Connection is simple and all calibration is done in the HDSDR software.

    All parts are readily available on eBay. The ones shown are the ones I purchased to make mine and are just representative to allow you to do your own search. It seems to good to be true...... it is not! This really works and works well!

    Once you have a spectrum analyzer available to you then you will wonder how you ever worked in the homebrew ham world without one.

    Warren Allgyer
    9V1TD
  • Joel Caulkins
    Message 42 of 42 , Sep 12, 2014
      Jerry,

      You are right, he does not sell them anymore. I must have got the last ones he sold because I just bought these recently. Oh well, they are easy enough to find. Thanks for the heads up.

      Joel Caulkins
      KB6QVI

      On Sep 12, 2014, at 1:06 PM, "'Jerry Haigwood' jerry@... [softrock40]" <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Joel,