Linrad software

  • Chuck Gibson
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2014
      Had my first success last night, after I compiled the Linrad software,
      of listening to my Softrock Ensemble II. I am encouraged.

      Chuck Gibson

      73's

      KG5DIR
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2, 2014
        Did you try quisk already?

        --
        Mike KC7NOA
      • Chuck Gibson
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2014
          I tried quisk also but it didn't seem to initialize the Si570 controller.
          Linrad has it built in. That was my sticking place in every package I
          tried. I could run window$ software and get it to work, but I don't
          do window$.

          "Linrad can operate with any soundcard for which the operating system on the PC has drive routines. Linrad has support for the following hardware that use PC soundcards: WSE convertersSi570 (Softrock, IQ+ and others) and the Soft66 series."

          Chuck Gibson

          KG5DIR

            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2014
              I tried this one (tailored to my setup) and only had errors:

              from softrock import hardware_usb as quisk_hardware
              from softrock import widgets_tx   as quisk_widgets
              del quisk_hardware.Hardware.OnSpot
              del quisk_hardware.Hardware.OnButtonPTT
              softrock_model = "RxEnsemble2"
              sample_rate = 48000
              name_of_sound_capt = "pulse"
              name_of_sound_play = "pulse"
              channel_i = 1
              channel_q = 0

              I have to comment all the "from" and "del" out just to get it to start.

              I plan to revisit each package I have installed but was glad to see and hear my
              Ensemble II working.

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 2, 2014
                ok .. this file was saved in your home folder as ".quisk_conf.py" <----- notice the period ?
                in your home folder ?

                sounds like it was .. what version of quisk do you have? --- not the one in the software center but direct downloaded from quisk ?

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 2, 2014
                  if it's the same build I did here at work it's 3.6.18.

                  And correct, quisk_conf.py is saved as a hidden file.

                  here is how it looks at work:

                  .quisk_conf.py

                  # This is a sample quisk_conf.py configuration file for a SoftRock Rx Ensemble II.

                  # Please do not change this sample file.
                  # Instead copy it to your own .quisk_conf.py and make changes there.
                  # See quisk_conf_defaults.py for more information.

                  #from softrock import hardware_usb as quisk_hardware

                  #import hardware_usb_new.py as quisk_hardware

                  # In ALSA, soundcards have these names.  The "hw" devices are the raw
                  # hardware devices, and should be used for soundcard capture.
                  #name_of_sound_capt = "hw:0"
                  #name_of_sound_capt = "hw:1"
                  #name_of_sound_capt = "plughw"
                  #name_of_sound_capt = "plughw:1"
                  #name_of_sound_capt = "default"

                  # Vendor and product ID's for the SoftRock
                  usb_vendor_id = 0x16c0
                  usb_product_id = 0x05dc
                  softrock_model = "RxEnsemble2"

                  sample_rate = 48000<---><------><------><------><------># ADC hardware sample rate in Hertz
                  name_of_sound_capt = "hw:0,0"<-><------><------><------># Name of soundcard capture hardware device.
                  name_of_sound_play = "hw:0,0"<-><------># Use the same device for play back

                  channel_i = 0                                           # Soundcard index of in-phase channel:  0, 1, 2, ...
                  channel_q = 1                                           # Soundcard index of quadrature channel:  0, 1, 2, ...

                  This one didn't work either.

                  Chuck

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 2, 2014
                        If my Dell DVI video splitter cable arrives today I can have all
                        answers for you in around four hours. I won't risk bring this one
                        home again in the chance I leave it and have no computer tomorrow.

                        I bought a Optiplex 755 USFF computer just for use with the Softrock.
                        I'm running the latest XUbuntu64.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 2, 2014
                          ok, a 2ghs duocore dual ...

                          never sure if they mean 2 cores with dual threads or just two cores ...

                          if just 2 cores ... might get some audio burps ... on FM ....

                          ok ... you will have lots of fun getting pre-req's for sdr stuff .....

                          ghpsdr3-alex is kinda fun too ....

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 2, 2014
                            3 gig core 2 Duo Cpu E8400 with 4 gig memory.
                            Not hyperthreading but has the Intel EM64T.

                            Will have to look ghpsdr3-alex over.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 3, 2014
                              After spending time compiling and configuring SDR#, revisiting Linrad and  usbsoftrock
                              was quite surprised to find quisk working. I did see I was using the 3.8.11 version. I tried to
                              compile 3.8.18 but kept having errors. Last one was a missing .h file. I'll get there.

                              73's!

                              Chuck
                              KG5DIR

                            • Sid Boyce
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 4, 2014
                                Rather than "hw:0,0" try just "hw:0".
                                si570_direct_control = True

                                The "from" statements are needed, otherwise who knows if it's doing anything.

                                I have never once had to address sound cards as other than e.g hw:0, hw:1, plughw:0 or plughw:1 and that was from the very first test Softrock port I got from Jim.

                                I think we'll have to look again at quisk and Softrock as really nothing in the basic structure has changed and Jim tests versions out on Ensemble II RX and RXTX. The hardware hasn't changed and over the years we never saw problems with SR v6.3 + Mobo v3.6, SR63ng + Mobo v4.3.4, Ensemble RXTX, etc.

                                Let's see the errors, ignoring the pcm*, jack and bt_xxx, etc. messages which are just noise and not errors.
                                ALSA lib pcm.c:2259:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
                                ALSA lib pcm.c:2259:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
                                ALSA lib pcm.c:2259:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
                                ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
                                Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
                                Cannot connect to server request channel
                                jack server is not running or cannot be started
                                73 ... Sid.

                                On 02/09/14 18:34, Chuck Gibson cathal57@... [softrock40] wrote:

[...]

                                Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                                Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support
                                Senior Staff Specialist, Cricket Coach
                                Microsoft Windows Free Zone - Linux used for all Computing Tasks

                              • Chuck Gibson
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 4, 2014
                                  I'll add the "si570_direct_control = True" although for some reason it came up and is working now.
                                  That is working without the "from" and "del" statements.

                                  I am receiving from 160 to 10 meters on a Crushcraft scanner antenna only.

                                  73's

                                  Chuck

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 4, 2014
                                    3.6.18.is the latest.
                                    The only change as far as Softrock is concerned is the addition of CW TX.

                                    All other changes are for HiQSDR.

                                    May be the age old Python.h missing, the package is python2.7-dev.
                                    # dpkg -S /usr/include/python2.7/Python.h
                                    libpython2.7-dev:amd64: /usr/include/python2.7/Python.h
                                    73 ... Sid.