Help setting up HDSDR

  • caulktel
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 20, 2014
      I have just completed my RXTX Ensemble and am having a blast just dialing around the bands listening using SDR#, but now I'm ready to transmit and I need help setting HDSDR up. Correct me if I'm not understanding this right. I have purchased a external dongle, this one to be exact: http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1191
      I plan to run the Softrock on the dongle and use my Dell laptop for audio output and mic in. I bought a USB microphone that is pretty high quality that I want to use for SSB. Am I thinking right? I don't know which things to pick in HDSDR to get this all working correctly. How does one make the program go into TX? Building the radio was easy for me, but the software is a nightmare. Anyone brave enough to try to help me?

      Joel
      KB6QVI
    • caulktel
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 20, 2014
        I think I just realized that the SD-AUD20101 dongle has only a mono mic input, but I also have this dongle winging it's way to me:

        I don't know if this one has stereo inputs or not.

        Joel
        KB6QVI

      • warrenallgyer
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 20, 2014
          Joel

          The dongle you have will work fine in this configuration which is what I use on HDSDR

          Line Out ===== PC Line Out
          Line In ===== PC Line In
          Speaker ===== Dongle Out
          Mic ===== Dongle Mono In

          My strong recommendation is that you read the HDSDR documentation on the site and on Alan's page that he has passed to you. HDSDR Transmit operations must be enabled in the configuration. One key and slightly strange concept is that you must be in Transmit mode in order to make transmit configurations and adjustments.

          Beyond that I think you would be better served reading and doing than trying to follow step by step instructions from someone on this board. I would be happy to help with specific questions and I am sure others will be as well.

          Warren Allgyer
          9V1TD
        • Cecil Bayona
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 20, 2014
            The photo shows a line input, that is what you need to connect to the
            output of a SoftRock. They sure don't give you much in the way of
            specifications, but that is the way that many cards are sold by
            marketing departments.

            --
            Cecil - k5nwa

          • caulktel
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 21, 2014
              I got the ExtIO_Si570.dll copied into the HDSDR folder, so now HDSDR is moving the si570 frequency fine, but in all of the SDR programs I've used so far, I have to tune exactly 785hz above the indicated frequency to be right on. So, the si570 is off by 785hz. I went into the CFGSR utility and tried to calibrate it there but it doesn't seem to be working. I go to the calibrate tab and put in the tuned and the real frequency and then click "calibrate", then go back to HDSDR and it's still off by 785hz. Any suggestion on how to do this properly?Joel
              KB6QVI
            • Ken Chase
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 21, 2014

                Hi Joel

                It's been quite a while since I've used HDSDR  so this from memory. I tune WWV or CHU and call up the CALIBRATE tab of CFGSR and type the tuned frequency. You may have to reset the SI570. I check it against 5, 10 and 15 MHZ WWV and CHU.

                73

                Ken VA3ABN

                I got the ExtIO_Si570.dll copied into the HDSDR folder, so now HDSDR is moving the si570 frequency fine, but in all of the SDR programs I've used so far, I have to tune exactly 785hz above the indicated frequency to be right on. So, the si570 is off by 785hz. I went into the CFGSR utility and tried to calibrate it there but it doesn't seem to be working. I go to the calibrate tab and put in the tuned and the real frequency and then click "calibrate", then go back to HDSDR and it's still off by 785hz. Any suggestion on how to do this properly?Joel
                KB6QVI

              • Joel Caulkins

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 21, 2014

                    Joel

                    Check Alan's page out.

                    Ken VA3ABN

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 21, 2014
                      Ok Warren,I have hooked up my audio the way you recommended, and it would appear that I,m on the air, sort of. In the AM mode when I click TX from HDSDR, I show 250mw on my QRP watt meter, also SSB mode produces somewhat less when I perform the AHHHH test into the mic. Are there levels that I need to adjust to get the power level more towards the 1 watt level? I noticed in George Thomas W5JDX's videos that when he tested his PA he only had 2 volts and found that T3 or T4, I can't remember which, was out of phase. He had to pull the transformer and reinstall it. I have a newer board than his, (12/8/13) vintage and installed the windings according to the instructions on WB5RVZ's web site. Is it possible the instructions were wrong for my board? Maybe something else is causing low power out. Any ideas?

                      Joel
                      KB6QVI
                    • Joel Caulkins
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 21, 2014
                        Thank Ken,

                        That worked fine, I'm all calibrated now.

                        Joel Caulkins
                        KB6QVI

                        On Aug 21, 2014, at 9:58 AM, "'Ken Chase' chase8043@... [softrock40]" <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        Joel

                        Check Alan's page out.

                        Ken VA3ABN

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 21, 2014

                          Excellent Joel.

                          73

                          Ken VA3ABN

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 21, 2014
                            Joel

                            The two sliders under the Tune window become Mic Gain and Transmit Power level controls when HDSDR is put into transmit mode.

                            Transmit Power should be set to provide the operating carrier level. I normally use the CW or FM mode to set this. FM will produce a continuous output and CW will allow you to "key" the output on and off using the RETURN key on your keyboard.

                            You should be able to set your carrier level to a nominal one watt using either of these modes.

                            Once the level is set you can check it by switching to AM mode. The carrier level with no modulation should be 50 to 60% of the voltage of the full carrier, (which would equate to 250 mW) level in CW and FM modes. When you switch to AM mode the unmodulated carrier will be about 6 dB down so 250 mW sounds right on the nose. In SSB mode there should be no power output without modulation.

                            For both the AM and the SSB modes the mic level slider can be moved toward the maximum level and then you talk into the microphone in a normal level and it will automatically pull back the level to a safe modulation level. Moving the mic gain higher in either mode will likely cause "splatter' on voice peaks and cause interference to adjacent conversations. In AM mode a 250 mW carrier with occasional peaks kicking above that level is about all you are going to get. In SSB I would expect the power meter for normal voice to peak at about the same level. You may be able to drive it somewhat higher with "ahhhhhh" but it will and should register significantly less on a wattmeter when the peaks are reaching 1 W PEP and you can only be sure with a scope.

                            A perfectly performing RXTX is going to sound pretty puny on both AM and SSB if set up as above to not over-modulate.

                            You are now facing the issue that all who operate on voice modes with Softrocks encounter at this point. The softrocks has no speech compression or processing unlike even the most modest of commercial SSB rigs. In order to provide any significant average power without overmodulating on the peaks you will need to do some speech processing external to the Softrocks.

                            I would suggest you do this with one of several software apps that provide equalization, compression, and limiting for the microphone input. One intriguing possibility but you must follow instructions to the T, is Voice Shaper from Alex. It is available on the same page you found Rocky. There is a demo and subsequent discussion thread of voice shaper here:

                            Good luck joel and specific questions are always welcome.

                            Warren Allgyer
                            9V1TD
                          • Joel Caulkins

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 21, 2014
                                You are very welcome Joel. That is what this group is all about. We all love helping each other, especially those who are willing to help themselves as well.I have sent you my Voice Shaper config file by private email. But I urge you to experiment yourself. That file was based on my particular microphone and my voice and yours will be different. So the settings that make you sound good are likely very different from those that I sent you.

                                Alex has given us a wonderful tool to model and evaluate what our SSB signal sounds like on the receiving end in a variety of noise and QRM conditions. My recommendation is that you play with it until your voice has the best chance of surviving in high noise receive environments.

                                Good luck and congratulations on a great project. You are now in a position to help others who come along in your tracks.

                                Best regards,

                                Warren Allgyer
                                9V1TD
                              • caulktel
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 22, 2014
                                  Warren,
                                  I got your  config file and imported it into Voice Shaper, and I see how it all works, in fact I had created my own version before I got your email and had it sounding pretty good. The thing I don't quite understand is, how do I get HDSDR to use the processed audio. If I leave Voice Shaper opened when I start HDSDR, it gives me the, " some other program is using the mic error". Now, I'm using a stand alone USB mic with its own sound card built into the cord, but that shouldn't make any difference. By the way, I made a couple of contacts with the SR today and got good audio reports without the processing on, but I think it could be a lot better.

                                  Joel
                                  KB6QVI
                                • warrenallgyer
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 23, 2014
                                    JoelMy solution may not help you. I run Voice Shaper on a separate PC and do the audio processing there. The output of this PC is run through an audio voltmeter so I can know the level at all times, and from there into the audio input of the HDSDR laptop that I have selected for "Microphone".

                                    I am sure there is a way to do it all on one PC, perhaps using VAC, but I have not worked with that and someone else may need to step in here to help. The concept is that you must get the audio our of voice shaper and turn it around and put it back in to the HDSDR designated microphone input. I do that physically with a cable between two PCs but there must be a way to do it virtually as well.

                                    Warren Allgyer
                                    9V1TD
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 23, 2014
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 23, 2014
                                        Joel,

                                        I normally use FlDigi and VAC (with 2 connections defined) to connect with HDSDR for digital modes. I use virtual Cable 1 for input to HDSDR and virtual cable 2 for output from HDSDR. If I want to run voice modes such as SSB, I shut down FlDigi and launch Voice Shaper. I connect the mic to the input of Voice Shaper and use virtual cable 1 for output from Voice Shaper to HDSDR. I then use the Audio repeater in VAC to take virtual cable 2 and connect it to the sound port that has a speaker or headphones connected, on my system it is called HD Audio Render. That way I do not have to reconfigure either FlDigi or HDSDR for sound connections.

                                        FYI, I run the audio out to a inexpensive little audio amp I got from China (Lepai), then to a good quality set of speakers. Very nice audio and gives me tone and volume control external to the computer.

                                        Hope this helps.

                                        John

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 23, 2014
                                          Thanks Warren,
                                          I think it might be easier to just have a a separate stand alone audio processor unit, but at least I understand how I'm going to do it now.

                                          One more stupid question, when I was building the SR I remember testing the paddles jack on the radio using CFGSR and the LEDs changed from green to red when shorted to gnd, so I assumed  it works.

                                          How do I activate the paddles in HDSDR? When I hit the paddles nothing happens in the CW mode. Im sure there is something simple that I'm supposed to be doing.

                                          Joel
                                          KB6QVI
                                        • warrenallgyer
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 23, 2014
                                            :-)

                                            Joel..... you beg, plead, and attempt to bribe LightCoder, the keeper of all things HDSDR, to include support for the paddles in his next version. Currently HDSDR does not support the paddles even though they may be working fine in the interface.

                                            There are two ways to send CW with HDSDR; one is easy but does not work well and the other works great but is complicated.

                                            The simple way is to use the RETURN key once in transmit in the CW mode. It works but it is not very useful.

                                            The other is to key an external audio tone into the mic input and use the SSB mode instead of the CW mode. It works great but you need the generator, some way to key it with your keyer, and a separate audio monitor to listen to it.

                                            I vote for working on LC. :-)

                                            Warren Allgyer
                                            9V1TD
                                          • Joel Caulkins
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 23, 2014
                                              Funny! I will try to persuade him:-) that's ok for now anyway as my code speed is terrible. I just wanted to make sure there was not something wrong with the Rock, thanks and I'll quit bugging you.

                                              Joel
                                              KB6QVI

                                              On Aug 23, 2014, at 8:18 PM, "allgyer@... [softrock40]" <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                              :-)

                                              Joel..... you beg, plead, and attempt to bribe LightCoder, the keeper of all things HDSDR, to include support for the paddles in his next version. Currently HDSDR does not support the paddles even though they may be working fine in the interface.

                                              There are two ways to send CW with HDSDR; one is easy but does not work well and the other works great but is complicated.

                                              The simple way is to use the RETURN key once in transmit in the CW mode. It works but it is not very useful.

                                              The other is to key an external audio tone into the mic input and use the SSB mode instead of the CW mode. It works great but you need the generator, some way to key it with your keyer, and a separate audio monitor to listen to it.

                                              I vote for working on LC. :-)

                                              Warren Allgyer
                                              9V1TD

                                            • David Turnbull
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 25, 2014
                                                On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 8:18 PM, allgyer@... [softrock40] <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                                                Joel..... you beg, plead, and attempt to bribe LightCoder, the keeper of all things HDSDR, to include support for the paddles in his next version.

                                                I don't know if HDSDR qualifies for this, but there's a site called Bountysource where anyone can try to raise funds to entice developers into working on new features (or bug fixes). I think it's only for software that is "free as in speech" not "free as in beer" but I'm not 100% sure.

                                              • Chuck Gibson
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 26, 2014
                                                  Joel KB6QVI I gotta ask.
                                                  Was that the West Coast RV Noontime net or maybe the Swap chew?
                                                  I monitor those now on a web sdr receiver run by W7RNA.

                                                  Chuck GIbson
                                                  KG5DIR