Soldering order

  • olsonla
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2014
      I'm a newbie and my RXTX got here yesterday.  I've been going over the instructions and I was wondering that if I installed all the SMD components on the backside of the board would it cause any issues in the power supply tests at the end of the first section?  I have built a lot of kits but want to test each section as I go along.  I built a spring loaded tool to assist me and my old eyes to hold the parts in place as I solder with a headband magnifier.  I can't use it with parts on the other side of the board.  I uploaded a few pictures of it to a album in the photos section called Surface Mount Tool.  Also, is there a list of mods or changes I need to do to make it work the best or is it perfect already?  Thank you for the help.

      Lee - N9LO
    • Zack Widup
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2014
        There were once instructions to flip the leads on one of the windings
        on T1 because the circuit board had the pattern flipped. However, the
        board I got a couple weeks ago had this corrected, so it was
        unnecessary to flip the leads on the winding.

        73, Zack W9SZ

        On 6/22/14, mr.olson@... [softrock40]
        <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > I'm a newbie and my RXTX got here yesterday. I've been going over the
        > instructions and I was wondering that if I installed all the SMD components
        > on the backside of the board would it cause any issues in the power supply
        > tests at the end of the first section? I have built a lot of kits but want
        > to test each section as I go along. I built a spring loaded tool to assist
        > me and my old eyes to hold the parts in place as I solder with a headband
        > magnifier. I can't use it with parts on the other side of the board. I
        > uploaded a few pictures of it to a album in the photos section called
        > Surface Mount Tool. Also, is there a list of mods or changes I need to do
        > to make it work the best or is it perfect already? Thank you for the help.
        >
        > Lee - N9LO
      • Zack Widup
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 22, 2014
          Sorry, that applies to the Ensemble II RX. Not sure about the RXTX.

          I see no reason why you can't install all the surface mount parts at
          once. You should still be able to check out each stage as to voltages,
          signals, etc.

          73, Zack W9SZ

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 23, 2014
            > I'm a newbie and my RXTX got here yesterday. I've been going over the instructions and I was wondering that if I installed all
            > the SMD components on the backside of the board would it cause any issues in the power supply tests at the end of the first
            > section? I have built a lot of kits but want to test each section as I go along. I built a spring loaded tool to assist me and
            > my old eyes to hold the parts in place as I solder with a headband magnifier. I can't use it with parts on the other side of the
            > board. I uploaded a few pictures of it to a album in the photos section called Surface Mount Tool. Also, is there a list of mods
            > or changes I need to do to make it work the best or is it perfect already?

            Lee,

            If you follow Robby's instructions all will be fine.
            But if you fit all the ICs first there is a voltage that does not match. Hairpin of R62. This was discussed recently.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Lee Olson
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 23, 2014

              Thank you.

              Lee - N9LO

              www.ole-lena.com

              > I'm a newbie and my RXTX got here yesterday. I've been going over the instructions and I was wondering that if I installed all
              > the SMD components on the backside of the board would it cause any issues in the power supply tests at the end of the first
              > section? I have built a lot of kits but want to test each section as I go along. I built a spring loaded tool to assist me and
              > my old eyes to hold the parts in place as I solder with a headband magnifier. I can't use it with parts on the other side of the
              > board. I uploaded a few pictures of it to a album in the photos section called Surface Mount Tool. Also, is there a list of mods
              > or changes I need to do to make it work the best or is it perfect already?

              Lee,

              If you follow Robby's instructions all will be fine.
              But if you fit all the ICs first there is a voltage that does not match. Hairpin of R62. This was discussed recently.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ

            • R. R. (Robby) Robson
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 23, 2014
                That would be the "Voltage Divider Test" in this page.

                On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 2:29 AM, 'Alan' alan4alan@... [softrock40] <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > I'm a newbie and my RXTX got here yesterday. I've been going over the instructions and I was wondering that if I installed all
                > the SMD components on the backside of the board would it cause any issues in the power supply tests at the end of the first
                > section? I have built a lot of kits but want to test each section as I go along. I built a spring loaded tool to assist me and
                > my old eyes to hold the parts in place as I solder with a headband magnifier. I can't use it with parts on the other side of the
                > board. I uploaded a few pictures of it to a album in the photos section called Surface Mount Tool. Also, is there a list of mods
                > or changes I need to do to make it work the best or is it perfect already?

                Lee,

                If you follow Robby's instructions all will be fine.
                But if you fit all the ICs first there is a voltage that does not match. Hairpin of R62. This was discussed recently.

                Cheers,
                Robby

                Richard R. (Robby) Robson
                LTC USA (USA Retired)
              • tboergert
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 23, 2014

                  Instead of pressing the board into the foam pad, build a vice (or vice jaws) (or buy a PanaVise) to hold the board by the edges and adapt your tool for the new height.  That way you can solder the top components in order.

                  Tom - KK4WPR