Re: WSPR 2.12

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 1 of 14 , May 20, 2014
      Hi Joe

      Operation of the RXTX for WSPR in IQ mode is covered here.

      http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSPR_2.1_Supplement.pdf

      In particular pay close attention to your frequency, be sure you have the correct sense for I and Q on both transmit and receive, and be sure your clock is + or - 1 second with UTC.

      Finally, be sure you select the Band each time you start up WSPR regardless the readout is what you want or not. WSPR does not initialize the frequency setting and if you don't you will likely be transmitting on the default frequency of your RXTX and not where you want.

      Warren Allgyer
      9V1TD
      Message 2 of 14 , May 21, 2014
        Message 3 of 14 , May 21, 2014
          HI Warren

          Thanks for that.  I will try what you suggest.  I did in fact check the supplement you refer and it spoke about the RXTX Ensemble but no such setting is available.  Alan suggested using the Si570 setting and I will try that today.  I should have clarified in my original post that without running powersdr as well, I could not get any output from the Delta 44.  IT may be that the Si570 setting will solve that.  I will post my results.

          Joe
          VA3JLF

          Sent from Windows Mail

          Message 4 of 14 , May 21, 2014
            I have not had any success yet.  I changed the rig number and am sure that the frequency is correct.  Actually the problem appears to be that there is no input coming from the sound card.  The RX input box in the lower left hand corner is supposed to reflect the rx level input but it remains stuck at -30db and red in colour.  No matter how I move the sliders (either in Windows or the Delta driver) I cannot get it to change.

            The only way I could get audio going to wspr was to use powersdr and VAC but wspr version 2.12 is supposed to be standalone and not require any other software.

            For now I have disabled tx so as not to complicate things further.

            Any further thoughts?

            Joe

            Sent from Windows Mail

            Message 5 of 14 , May 21, 2014
              Joe

              Ahh.... this is another bug in WSPR. The audio level in mine often stays at -30 for the first receive cycle. Let it go into the second cycle before adjusting it.

              It is very hard to troubleshoot the WSPR setup without verifying the RXTX operation first. I would recommend you download a free copy of HDSDR and get the RXTX up and running,  both receive and transmit, on that first. This way you can easily see what is going on.

              Warren Allgyer
              9V1TD
            • Joseph LaFerla
              Message 6 of 14 , May 21, 2014
                Well, we’re getting somewhere now!  Following Warren’s advice, I noticed as well that I had to move my sliders almost to their maximum values.  Once I did that, I started getting stations and now I can decode at will.  I am also uploading my spots to wsprnet.   However I cannot set the tx frequency to a different value than the dial.  I clicked on the bandmap like the instructions say but although a different tx shows in the window, the rig transmits at the rx frequency.

                I know that my ensemble works properly.  I have been using it for jt65 for several months and have made several contacts.  What I don’t know is why the rig does not transmit at the indicated tx frequency.  Nothing in the manual suggests a setting for that.

                Joe

                Sent from Windows Mail

                Message 7 of 14 , May 21, 2014
                  I forgot to mention that I normally use psdr and that I confirmed that wspr is transmitting on the dial frequency by using a separate receiver to monitor the signal.

                  Joe

                  Sent from Windows Mail

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 21, 2014
                    Joe

                    We are mixing terminology and I think that is confusing one or both of us. The receive "frequency" in WSPR is a 200 Hz bandpass. In the case of 40 meter WSPR the receiver simultaneously receives all frequencies in the range of 7040000 to 7040200. Here is an example:

                    WSPR "Dial"  - 7038600
                    WSPR "Tx"    - 7040100 (can be selected anywhere from 0 - 200 by clicking on the selector or direct input)
                    WSPR "Fiq"    - 12000
                    WSPR "BFO"    - 1500
                    WSPR Receive - 7040000 to 7040200

                    RXTX LO - 7026600
                    RXTX Si570 - 28106400

                    The actual transmit frequency is RXTX LO + WSPR Fiq + WSPR BFO = 7026600 + 12000+1500 = 7040100

                    The image frequency is
                    RXTX LO - WSPR Fiq - WSPR BFO = 7026600 - 12000-1500 = 7013100 or 27 KHz below the desired frequency.

                    If you have a receiver in the vicinity of the RXTX during WSPR transmissions you are likely to hear carriers on the desired frequency, 7040100, the image at 7013100 and the LO at 7026600. This is normal. The key is the desired frequency, 7040100 should be by far the strongest.

                    Warren Allgyer
                    9V1TD
                  • Joseph LaFerla
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 21, 2014
                      I “think” I understand this!  Thanks Warren.  At least I am not doing anything wrong.

                      Joe

                      Sent from Windows Mail

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 21, 2014
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 22, 2014
                          Alan

                          I do this more to explain it to myself than anyone else. :-)

                          WA
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 22, 2014
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 22, 2014
                              I guess I needed to check reverse Tx IQ because now I can be heard as well as hearing according to the map.  The interesting thing is that I have all sound card sliders (windows and delta44) at max, sometimes rx noise is in the red but it seems to be working.  My meter tells me I am putting out roughly one watt into my windom.

                              Later on I will try 30 metres and other bands.

                              Thanks for all your help, folks.  Let me know if you spot anything awry!!

                              73
                              Joe

                              Sent from Windows Mail

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 22, 2014