Problem with Rocky SDR software

  • Bill Davis
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15, 2014
    • 1 Attachment
    • 146 Bytes
     Can anyone help Peter?

    73  Bill K0AWU

    From: moon-bounces@... [mailto:moon-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Peter Blair
    Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2014 2:30 AM
    To: Moon-Net; freetalk moonnet
    Subject: [Moon] Problem with Rocky SDR software

    I use a softrock SDR with the Rocky 3.7 software running under windows 7 pro and a few days ago on start up It displayed a box saying  “ range check error “ and the programme froze and could only be shut with task manager.
    I have tried deinstalling and reinstalling but the same thing happens. Looking on the internet for the problem does not give much help, suggestions to delete the .ini file followed by people saying you cant get to those files in Win 7, but when I did a seach for .ini I did find some but none referring to rocky or Afreet.
    I have also defragged C , checked the startup menu, cleaned the registry and deleted the “ un-necessary” files using easycleaner.

    I think there are a few Rocky users here, has anyone had this problem and fixed it? ( and no I do not want to change to SDR radio or whatever, thank you!)

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 2 of 5 , May 15, 2014
      Unfortunately Rocky does not play nice with Windows 7 audio drivers. You can try going into the Rocky data folder and renaming the configuration setting file to .bak and then restarting it. But you are likely to run into the same thing again.

      I love Rocky but I have never had satisfactory performance from it on other than an XP machine. I am not a Windows guy and I cannot explain the intricacies of why it doesn't work... but, pretty universally, it does not.

      That is the best I can do. I welcome more knowledgeable corrections or additions.

      Warren Allgyer
      9V1TD
      Message 3 of 5 , May 15, 2014
        > Unfortunately Rocky does not play nice with Windows 7 audio drivers. You can try going into the Rocky data folder and renaming the
        > configuration setting file to .bak and then restarting it. But you are likely to run into the same thing again.
        >
        > I love Rocky but I have never had satisfactory performance from it on other than an XP machine. I am not a Windows guy and I
        > cannot explain the intricacies of why it doesn't work... but, pretty universally, it does not.
        >
        > That is the best I can do. I welcome more knowledgeable corrections or additions.

        Warren,

        Alex gave me the impression that it handles the audio in a way that is not compatible with later Windows.
        But it is often reported to work with USB sound systems.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Jose Bonanca
        Message 4 of 5 , May 15, 2014
          I work with rocky7 on win7 and everything goes well. since I edited the configuration file.
          Regards.

          On 15 May 2014 14:29, 'Alan' alan4alan@... [softrock40] <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > Unfortunately Rocky does not play nice with Windows 7 audio drivers. You can try going into the Rocky data folder and renaming the
          > configuration setting file to .bak and then restarting it. But you are likely to run into the same thing again.
          >
          > I love Rocky but I have never had satisfactory performance from it on other than an XP machine. I am not a Windows guy and I
          > cannot explain the intricacies of why it doesn't work... but, pretty universally, it does not.
          >
          > That is the best I can do. I welcome more knowledgeable corrections or additions.

          Warren,

          Alex gave me the impression that it handles the audio in a way that is not compatible with later Windows.
          But it is often reported to work with USB sound systems.

          Jose (Ct1aos)
        • Zack Widup
          Message 5 of 5 , May 15, 2014
            Yes, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm using a Creative X-Fi
            SB1095 USB soundcard. Once I installed the Creative driver for Windows
            7 (not the driver Windows wanted to install) I've gotten excellent
            performance from it.

            See some of you in Dayton maybe? I'm just about to drive over.

            73, Zack W9SZ

            On 5/15/14, 'Alan' alan4alan@... [softrock40]