Sound Blaster Xi-Fi USB 5.1 mod. (again)

  • yl2qn_andy
    Message 1 of 12 , May 7 4:11 AM

      Hello,

      Early we had discussion about mod for Creative Sound Blaster sound card . My firsts attempt to apply mod for Creative Sound Blaster Xi-Fi USB 5.1 has been failed. After mod apply, I got increase noise level in PowerSDR software. Something going wrong with this mod. I'm remove additional capacitors and noise level moved back to my usual level.

      I'm back to this question and apply mod again. Now I can see benefits from mod. If someone interesting here some screenshots and short description.

      Regards,

      Andy - YL2QN

      Message 2 of 12 , May 7 4:23 AM
        > Early we had discussion about mod for Creative Sound Blaster sound card
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/new/groups/softrock40/conversations/topics/76234 . My firsts attempt to apply mod for Creative Sound
        > Blaster Xi-Fi USB 5.1 has been failed. After mod apply, I got increase noise level in PowerSDR software. Something going wrong
        > with this mod. I'm remove additional capacitors and noise level moved back to my usual level.
        >

        > I'm back to this question and apply mod again. Now I can see benefits from mod. If someone interesting here some screenshots and
        > short description. https://sites.google.com/site/yl2qnpages/home/creative-sounds-blaster-xi-fi-usb-5-1-mod

        Andy,

        Thanks, I am always cautious about this sort of modification.
        It should not be done blindly just because someone says it works.
        But with careful before and after tests as you have done.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • yl2qn_andy
        Message 3 of 12 , May 9 11:50 PM
          Yes, exactly Alan. Any mod's, modification, improvements etc must be checked before and after. I got good example about possible problems "how it can be" in real life.

          Andy.
        • Zack Widup
          Message 4 of 12 , May 10 7:32 AM
            Hmm ... is this the mod that adds two larger capacitors? I did that
            mod and definitely noticed a reduction in noise. Maybe the type or
            quality of the capacitors is important and I happened to use the right
            ones?

            73, Zack W9SZ

            On 5/7/14, yl2qn.andy@... <yl2qn.andy@...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            >

            > Early we had discussion about mod for Creative Sound Blaster sound card
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/new/groups/softrock40/conversations/topics/76234 .
            > My firsts attempt to apply mod for Creative Sound Blaster Xi-Fi USB 5.1 has
            > been failed. After mod apply, I got increase noise level in PowerSDR
            > software. Something going wrong with this mod. I'm remove additional
            > capacitors and noise level moved back to my usual level.
            >

            > I'm back to this question and apply mod again. Now I can see benefits from
            > mod. If someone interesting here some screenshots and short description.
            > https://sites.google.com/site/yl2qnpages/home/creative-sounds-blaster-xi-fi-usb-5-1-mod
            >

            > Regards,
            > Andy - YL2QN

          • Bill Davis
            Message 5 of 12 , May 10 9:19 AM
               Hi Guys... when I went Win7 I had to give up on my Delta44 for the K3/SoftRock panadapter. I am using a XiFi USB 5.1 Model SB1090. I tried the mod, but had issues that I don't recall the details of (sorry, gray cells are older than yesterday...age) The caps were removed and all was/is well again.

                I AM VERY happy with the cards performance as a panadapter. For panadapter use it does just as well as the D44. The only noise issues I have are from the computer switching power supply (Dell). That noise ids radiated and picked up by the antennas. (HF) I use the D44 with the Softrocks at 48Khz for receiver/transceiver operations.

                Sorry I can't recall the particulars on the mod result. "It worked, I recall that, but it seems to me that it was "flaky". I tried it on a couple of PCs same result. So back to original ... I was happy enough that a bought a second SB1090 because I run 2 panadapters during VHF-Microwave contesting.

              73  Bill  K0AWU

              Hmm ... is this the mod that adds two larger capacitors? I did that
              mod and definitely noticed a reduction in noise. Maybe the type or
              quality of the capacitors is important and I happened to use the right
              ones?

              73, Zack W9SZ

              On 5/7/14, yl2qn.andy@... <yl2qn.andy@...> wrote:
              > Hello,
              >

              >  Early we had discussion about mod for Creative Sound Blaster sound card
              > http://groups.yahoo.com/new/groups/softrock40/conversations/topics/76234 .
              > My firsts attempt to apply mod for Creative Sound Blaster Xi-Fi USB 5.1 has
              > been failed. After mod apply, I got increase noise level in PowerSDR
              > software. Something going wrong with this mod. I'm remove additional
              > capacitors and noise level moved back to my usual level.
              >

              >  I'm back to this question and apply mod again. Now I can see benefits from
              > mod. If someone interesting here some screenshots and short description.
              > https://sites.google.com/site/yl2qnpages/home/creative-sounds-blaster-xi-fi-usb-5-1-mod
              >

              >  Regards,
              >  Andy - YL2QN

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Zack Widup

                Message 7 of 12 , May 10 10:20 AM
                   Kack, "going around the bend trying to figure out why the SDR wasn't working correctly", what were the symptoms? I setup a "ebay" PC with Windows 7 Pro 64bit yesterday and I am using the driver loaded by windows. I have the SB1095 disk and even had it in the drive this morning but didn't want to instal the suite of software. I wasn't sure where the driver was and busy with other things. Since the SB was working I didn't bother but said "maybe later".

                  Bill  K0AWU

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 10 10:59 AM
                    The spectrum seemed inverted for one I/Q setting, and then when I inverted the I/Q, the spectrum looked OK but the frequency was way off. Plus, the knob on the Soundblaster unit didn't work. Rocky and HDSDR seemed to give totally different results on the display and the frequency was way off on Rocky, too. I was able to download just the driver for the unit from the Creative website and install it without the other features. Then things acted as I expected.

                    73, Zack W9SZ

                    On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Bill Davis cqbilld@... [softrock40] <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                     Kack, "going around the bend trying to figure out why the SDR wasn't working correctly", what were the symptoms? I setup a "ebay" PC with Windows 7 Pro 64bit yesterday and I am using the driver loaded by windows. I have the SB1095 disk and even had it in the drive this morning but didn't want to instal the suite of software. I wasn't sure where the driver was and busy with other things. Since the SB was working I didn't bother but said "maybe later".

                    Bill  K0AWU

                    Hmm ... is this the mod that adds two larger capacitors? I did that
                    mod and definitely noticed a reduction in noise. Maybe the type or
                    quality of the capacitors is important and I happened to use the right
                    ones?

                    73, Zack W9SZ

                    On 5/7/14, yl2qn.andy@... <yl2qn.andy@...> wrote:
                    > Hello,
                    >

                    >  Early we had discussion about mod for Creative Sound Blaster sound card
                    > http://groups.yahoo.com/new/groups/softrock40/conversations/topics/76234 .
                    > My firsts attempt to apply mod for Creative Sound Blaster Xi-Fi USB 5.1 has
                    > been failed. After mod apply, I got increase noise level in PowerSDR
                    > software. Something going wrong with this mod. I'm remove additional
                    > capacitors and noise level moved back to my usual level.
                    >

                    >  I'm back to this question and apply mod again. Now I can see benefits from
                    > mod. If someone interesting here some screenshots and short description.
                    > https://sites.google.com/site/yl2qnpages/home/creative-sounds-blaster-xi-fi-usb-5-1-mod
                    >

                    >  Regards,
                    >  Andy - YL2QN

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  • Chris Robinson

                      Hmm ... is this the mod that adds two larger capacitors? I did that
                      mod and definitely noticed a reduction in noise. Maybe the type or
                      quality of the capacitors is important and I happened to use the right
                      ones?

                      73, Zack W9SZ

                      On 5/7/14, yl2qn.andy@... <yl2qn.andy@...> wrote:
                      > Hello,
                      >

                      >  Early we had discussion about mod for Creative Sound Blaster sound card
                      > http://groups.yahoo.com/new/groups/softrock40/conversations/topics/76234 .
                      > My firsts attempt to apply mod for Creative Sound Blaster Xi-Fi USB 5.1 has
                      > been failed. After mod apply, I got increase noise level in PowerSDR
                      > software. Something going wrong with this mod. I'm remove additional
                      > capacitors and noise level moved back to my usual level.
                      >

                      >  I'm back to this question and apply mod again. Now I can see benefits from
                      > mod. If someone interesting here some screenshots and short description.
                      > https://sites.google.com/site/yl2qnpages/home/creative-sounds-blaster-xi-fi-usb-5-1-mod
                      >

                      >  Regards,
                      >  Andy - YL2QN

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      Mr.C.Robinson
                       73 DE KF6NFW
                    • EB4APL

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 10 4:49 PM
                          Hi Ignacio

                             It is more I think of an "Rocky Issue". Rocky is the BEST weak signal detecting SDR program that I am aware of. I am primarily a weak weak signal VHF/UHF/Microwave operator and need to see as deep into the noise as I can. Rocky allows me to see signals I can't hear for dish/antenna peaking. When I attempt to run the Rocky / Delta44 compo in Windows 7 Pro 64bit oo Enterprise 32 bit, there is no baseband noise and Rockys "S meter" pins. It may be oscillating?? I'm not sure. I have ran Power SDR with Win7 32bit Enterprise just fine. For WSJT, WSPR and several other programs I use that need the sound card, the D44 is works with no issue.

                            However the USB Sound Blaster has been great for my panadapters. If interested in my station and activities, look me up on QRZ. The link to my web pages is there. The SDR pages are were the softrock stuff is at.

                          73  Bill   K0AWU