Multiple ATTiny 85 failures

  • hamfm1000
    Message 1 of 7 , May 6, 2014

       Hi,

      Anyone shed any light on this problem.

      I'm on my 3rd ATTiny 85 now.

      The 2nd replacement (ie 3rd chip) lasted only one disconnect/reconnect of the USB cable.

      The windows xp usb not recognised error is the indicator to me that the chip has failed.  Replaced the chip, the driver was recognised and success.

      I'm about to order some more chips but don't want to proceed without advice from this group.

      73

      Toni

      G6XMO

      Sheffield

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2014
        On 06/05/2014 12:37, hamfm1000@... wrote:

        Hi Toni, I would suspect that you have a dodgy joint, either a faulty socket or on the soldering. This is being disturbed when you plugin/unplug the USB cable.

        Regards & 73's
        Peter G3JRH

        Message 3 of 7 , May 6, 2014
          Message 4 of 7 , May 6, 2014
            I have an Atmel programmer (STK-500). Unless you are planning on doing a lot of AVR programming (which I do), it is probably not worth the expense to buy one. But it's a good way to verify if a chip is bad or not.

            If the chips are in fact not bad, there's a solder issue somewhere. There still may be if the chips are going bad in the circuit.

            73, Zack W9SZ

            On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 8:18 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

            > The 2nd replacement (ie 3rd chip) lasted only one disconnect/reconnect of the USB cable.
            > The windows xp usb not recognised error is the indicator to me that the chip has failed. Replaced the chip, the driver was
            > recognised and success.
            > I'm about to order some more chips but don't want to proceed without advice from this group.

            Toni,

            So you are absolutely sure they go defective? Have you tried them again?
            What could do this?
            If your USB is more than 5V then the computer would be in trouble.
            What voltages do you have on each of the pins?
            It is possible D1 or D2 is faulty causing intermittent operation.
            But I think as Peter says you are probably disturbing a bad joint.
            If you really think the chips are faulty I can test them.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

          • Cecil Bayona
            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2014
              It's pretty rare that the ATTINY85 goes bad,never mind three of them.
              One way to do it is to plug it backwards, the the chip will get
              extremely hot. Another way is that there is a large potential voltage
              difference between the SoftRock and your PC due to faulty electrical wiring.

              I'm not sure how the PC power supplies on a PC are wired, over on
              this side of the pond we use three wires, hot, return, and Earth
              safety ground which is connected to the metal box and PC case, this
              is to insure that dangerous voltages don't develop between the PC and
              some other device. I believe in Europe they only use two wires, hot
              and return with no Earth chassis connection for safety, in that case
              any electrical leakage of the hot mains may make the chassis hot with
              electricity that will damage other devices connected to it. An AC
              voltmeter should not read any voltages between the PC case and the
              SoftRock with the audio and USB cables disconnected. This kind of
              things used to happen over here when we used two wire power
              distribution inside the house but we switched to three wires decades
              ago. Anyway it's something worth checking .

              In any case the ATTINY85 not being recognized is usually a hardware
              issue such as the diodes being backwards, or a short, another problem
              often seen is the drivers are not properly loaded in which case
              removing the drivers and re-installing them is often the fix. If you
              have a 64 bit OS then you need the signed drivers.

              --
              Cecil - k5nwa

            • Cecil Bayona
              Message 6 of 7 , May 6, 2014
                After the chips are programmed a programmer can
                not check them as the reset pin is programmed to
                be an I/O pin and the programmer uses the reset function to talk to the chip.

                --
                Cecil - k5nwa

              • Michael Walker
                Message 7 of 7 , May 6, 2014
                  I have to ask some simple questions, and I am sure they have been asked before but it is good to make sure.  I don't see the entire thread of emails.

                  • Could the USB cable be bad?
                  • Could it be the USB computer port?
                  • Is the port USB 3 and not USB 2?
                  • Has another computer/cable/power supply been tried?
                  Mike va3mw

                  --
                  Cecil - k5nwa