CB transmission

  • marcosbazzo
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 30, 2014
      Hey, there.

      It´s possible to transmit in CB band (26.65 to 27.99MHz) with Ensemble RXTX and HDSDR?

      73.
    • Shirley Márquez Dúlcey

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 30, 2014
          Hello,

          Here in Brazil i think it´s illegal transmit with homemade equipaments.

          My doubts are about HDSDR, cause some softwares, like PSDR, inhibit automaticaly some frequencies. Only for information.

          Many thanks and 73.

        • mail@lokey.info
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 30, 2014
            I'm confused about being illegal to transmit on the CB band.

            "The Citizens Band (CB) Service is licensed by rule. This means an individual license is not required to operate a CB device. You can operate a CB device regardless of your age and for personal or business use so long as you are not a representative of a foreign government."

            Larry

            On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 9:25 PM, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey <mark@...> wrote:

            It should work with an Ensemble built for 15/12/10m operation. It would be illegal to transmit on that band in the US. (Receiving is legal.) I don't know what the relevant laws are in Brazil but I suspect it would also be illegal there.

            On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 9:55 PM, <marcosbazzo@...> wrote:

            Hey, there.

            It´s possible to transmit in CB band (26.65 to 27.99MHz) with Ensemble RXTX and HDSDR?

            73.

          • D. Daniel McGlothin KB3MUN
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 30, 2014
              Larry,

              >>> It´s possible to transmit in CB band (26.65 to 27.99MHz) with
              >>> Ensemble RXTX and HDSDR?

              >> It should work with an Ensemble built for 15/12/10m operation. It
              >> would be illegal to transmit on that band in the US.

              > I'm confused about being illegal to transmit on the CB band.
              >
              > https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/citizens-band-cb-service
              >
              > "The Citizens Band (CB) Service is licensed by rule. This means an
              > individual license is not required to operate a CB device. You can
              > operate a CB device regardless of your age and for personal or business
              > use so long as you are not a representative of a foreign government."

              The Wikipedia quote uses the phrase "CB Device". In the US, the CB
              service requires a "FCC certificated CB transmitter". The Ensemble, for
              example, is not such a device.

              For the specific rule about CB transmitter requirements, see
              http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=464caebd79913b5db2960798ef41121f&node=47:5.0.1.1.5.4.146.9&rgn=div8
              .

              For all of the CB rules, take a look at
              http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=464caebd79913b5db2960798ef41121f&node=47:5.0.1.1.5.4&rgn=div6
              .

              73 de Daniel KB3MUN
            • n9ixw.ham
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 30, 2014
                From what I have been told in the past. Most countries that allow CB radios, all have the same standard as the US. 5 watt max am. 12 watt ssb. The reason most homemade gear and the reason ham radios are not allowed is the vfw. C radios are channelled.

                Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note® II
              • mail@lokey.info
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 30, 2014
                  Thanks for the clarification.  To be honest I'd almost forgotten about the CB band.

                  Larry

                • malard@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 30, 2014
                    It is NOT illegal to transmit with the RXTX on 11meter, because it only transmits 1 watt. Max legal is 12 watts, so how can it be illegal. I use it on 11 meter all the time.
                  • mail@lokey.info
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 30, 2014
                      Ross pointed this out to me

                      "§95.409   (CB Rule 9) What equipment may I use at my CB station?

                      (a) You must use an FCC certificated CB transmitter at your CB station. You can identify an FCC certificated transmitter by the certification label placed on it by the manufacturer. You may examine a list of certificated equipment at any FCC Field Office or at FCC Headquarters. Use of a transmitter which is not FCC certificated voids your authority to operate the station.

                      (b) You must not make, or have made, any internal modification to a certificated CB transmitter. (See CB Rule 25, §95.425). Any internal modification to a certificated CB transmitter cancels the certification, and use of such a transmitter voids your authority to operate the station.

                      [48 FR 24894, June 3, 1983, as amended at 63 FR 36610, July 7, 1998]"

                      So yea it would appear that you are breaking the FCC rules for CB radio.

                      Larry

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 30, 2014
                         To transmit on 11 meters it must be locked to the designated frequencies (channels) designated by the fcc.
                        If it can transmit between the channels ie continuous vfw it is not allowed.
                        A ssb cb radio has a clarifier, but it only works on recieve. If the clarifier is clipped to work on transmit then that radio is no longer fcc type accepted.

                        Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note® II
                      • Paul Playford
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 30, 2014
                          Citizens Band radios are channelized and must be type accepted for that use.  You’re using an RXTX is against the law and you are breaking the law.

                          de Paul, W8AEF

                          ZF2JI/ZF2TA 8Q7AA FO8DX/FO0PLA XZ0A VU7RG/VU3PYM TX5A A52PP

                          Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2014 8:15 PM
                          Subject: Re: [softrock40] CB transmission

                          It is NOT illegal to transmit with the RXTX on 11meter, because it only transmits 1 watt. Max legal is 12 watts, so how can it be illegal. I use it on 11 meter all the time.

                        • Gordon JC Pearce
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
                            On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:59:05PM -0400, n9ixw.ham wrote:
                            > From what I have been told in the past. Most countries that allow CB radios, all have the same standard as the US. 5 watt max am. 12 watt ssb. The reason most homemade gear and the reason ham radios are not allowed is the vfw. C radios are channelled.

                            Except everywhere outside the US, where it's 4W FM, and AM and SSB are not permitted.

                            --
                            Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
                          • peterdx_1958
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
                              not anymore

                              lot of countires also allow ssb and am now

                              peter
                            • Box SixteenHundred
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
                                Not type accepted.

                                To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                                From: malard@...
                                Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 20:15:34 -0700

                                It is NOT illegal to transmit with the RXTX on 11meter, because it only transmits 1 watt. Max legal is 12 watts, so how can it be illegal. I use it on 11 meter all the time.

                                _

                              • n3izn
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
                                  Now that we have heard from the lawyers, quite a few are incorret and/or clueless.

                                  The question was would it work? Maybe he has a transverter that uses a CB radio as an IF and wants to convert it over to a softrock TX/RX or use an ensemble as a pan adapter.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
                                      Marcos,

                                      The answer is yes, it will work, but you might want to check the Brazilian regulations
                                      for CB transmitters. You will need to restrict the transmitter frequencies to the channel frequencies
                                      authorized in Brazil..

                                      73
                                      Jean-Paul (AC9GH)

                                      On Mar 30, 2014, at 9:55 PM, marcosbazzo@... wrote:

                                      Hey, there.

                                      It´s possible to transmit in CB band (26.65 to 27.99MHz) with Ensemble RXTX and HDSDR?

                                      73.

                                    • Silverfox
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014

                                        You can set any frequency  within the range of the Si570 but the filters will restrict you.

                                        73,

                                        Alan - W6ARH

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
                                          It's still illegal, I believe below 100mw it operates under different rules.

                                          At 10:15 PM 3/30/2014, you wrote:

                                          >It is NOT illegal to transmit with the RXTX on 11meter, because it
                                          >only transmits 1 watt. Max legal is 12 watts, so how can it be
                                          >illegal. I use it on 11 meter all the time.

                                          --
                                          Cecil - k5nwa

                                        • marcosbazzo
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 31, 2014
                                            Hey, there.

                                            I´m apologize about the topic, cause it became polemic. I wasn´t my intention!!! I would like to thank anyone that solved my doubt.

                                            73 de Marcos.