Peaberry G8SAQ-I2C driver issue

  • chuckwain
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 11, 2014
      Hope I am not stepping on toes in this group, but I believe I have seen Peaberry questions here in addition to Softrock questions.  I have a Peaberry that I just completed.  I tested at each stage of building with success.  I was actually receiving 20M USB at one point during construction.

      I then finished the radio, the TX stage comes last.  Now when I plug it into my Win 7 system I do not see the G8SAQ-I2C in the device manager.  Given that I cannot load the driver for it.

      I believe I saw this before and it turned out to be a soldering issue.  The only thing done from the TX test stage and finishing was that I throughly cleaned all flux off of the board lightly scrubbing it with a toothbrush.

      Does anyone have any idea where I should begin looking for this issue?

      Chuck
      KF7ZQN
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 11, 2014
        > Hope I am not stepping on toes in this group, but I believe I have seen Peaberry questions here in addition to Softrock questions.
        > I have a Peaberry that I just completed. I tested at each stage of building with success. I was actually receiving 20M USB at
        > one point during construction.
        >
        > I then finished the radio, the TX stage comes last. Now when I plug it into my Win 7 system I do not see the G8SAQ-I2C in the
        > device manager. Given that I cannot load the driver for it.
        >

        > I believe I saw this before and it turned out to be a soldering issue. The only thing done from the TX test stage and finishing
        > was that I throughly cleaned all flux off of the board lightly scrubbing it with a toothbrush.

        Chuck,

        I guess you have not used it on this system?
        Have you tried removing all USB devices before inserting the Peaberry? The Softrock sometimes required this to be done first, then
        put in your keyboard/mouse receiver or whatever.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Chuck Wain
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 11, 2014
          Alan
          Yes this was the system I did the testing on while building.  The G8SAQ-I2C was in the device manager at one point, now it is not.  How do you recommend removing all usb devices to start over? My keyboard and mouse are both usb so they have to be plugged in to get anything done.
          Thx
          Chuck
          KF7ZQN

          On Mar 11, 2014, at 10:08 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

          > Hope I am not stepping on toes in this group, but I believe I have seen Peaberry questions here in addition to Softrock questions.
          > I have a Peaberry that I just completed. I tested at each stage of building with success. I was actually receiving 20M USB at
          > one point during construction.
          >
          > I then finished the radio, the TX stage comes last. Now when I plug it into my Win 7 system I do not see the G8SAQ-I2C in the
          > device manager. Given that I cannot load the driver for it.
          >

          > I believe I saw this before and it turned out to be a soldering issue. The only thing done from the TX test stage and finishing
          > was that I throughly cleaned all flux off of the board lightly scrubbing it with a toothbrush.

          Chuck,

          I guess you have not used it on this system?
          Have you tried removing all USB devices before inserting the Peaberry? The Softrock sometimes required this to be done first, then
          put in your keyboard/mouse receiver or whatever.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • w4mmp
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 11, 2014

            Hi,

            If the driver has been installed correctly,  it will show up like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/80f4be1eumdjxsi/Screenshot%202014-03-11%2013.16.12.png.

            I have two Peaberrys attached to the computer so the display indicates two devices.  You probably will see just one.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 11, 2014
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 11, 2014

                Alan

                Just checked device manager again.  Here is what I am getting:

                https://www.dropbox.com/s/72lbqu34p49tpwd/Peaberry%20SDR%20Device%20Manager%203%2011%2014.PNG

                Looks just like yours, minus the second Peaberry.  There is no entry for G8SAQ-I2C.  I assume yours works fine without that, correct?  I may be chasing the wrong issue.

                Chuck

                KF7ZQN

              • w4mmp
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 11, 2014

                  Perfect.  That is what is suppose to be presented in the device manager.  I think your next step is to bring up the CFGSR utility ONLY.   Click on the USB tab then click on the device on the lower half of the display and then click open.  Exit CFGSR and then bring up HDSDR.  See that corrects your issue.

                  (Yes, is mine is working fine)

                • Chuck Wain
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 11, 2014
                    Great I will give it try later.
                    Thanks
                    Chuck

                    KF7ZQN
                  • warrenallgyer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 11, 2014
                      Hi Chuck

                      I just checked mine and it looks just like yours on the Device Manager so I think you are good to go.

                      If I remember correctly, during the assembly procedure the G8SAQ-I2C device showed up after the installation and checkout of the PSOC. Then, in later steps when you added the PCM module, the
                      G8SAQ-I2C device would show up briefly and then go away as Peaberry Audio replaced it. I just watched the device manager as I plugged mine in and G8SAQ-I2C appeared briefly and then went away.

                      My guess is your only problem is fear that you might have a problem. :-)

                      Good luck! It is a great rig!

                      Warren Allgyer
                      9V1TD
                    • devmrs
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 12, 2014
                        The attached jpg shows my device manager for my Peaberry on Windows 7. The only problem I had was that the Peaberry wasn't showing up as a SOUND device. I had to totally remove my SoftRock installation and then re-install the Peaberry and it finally showed up as a SOUND device and a radio. Now, both SoftRock and Peaberry radios are working just fine.

                        Mike
                      • chuckwain
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 12, 2014

                          I don't think I have a driver issue now.  My Peaberry checks out in that area.  I still cannot get a signal into the waterfall of HDSDR.  I am using a Buddipole dipole on 20M.  I have a FT897, I get lots of contacts with the same antenna setup, I am simply moving the cable from the FT897 to the Peaberry.  Here is what I am seeing on HDSDR:

                          https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8hd9bpxcowhlok/Peaberry%20HDSDR%203%2012%2014.PNG

                          This waterfall display does not change as I change the LO frequency.  I have checked all the obvious settings in HDSDR and they look OK.

                          When I hit TX in HDSDR the led blinks as expected.  It is on solid when in receive mode.

                          I just reflowed the solder on the DAC/ADC chip, that had no effect.

                          Any ideas?

                          Thx

                          Chuck

                          KF7ZQN

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 12, 2014
                            Chuck, that sounds to me like one of two things:
                            1)  you are not controlling the LO from HDSDR. Click on the ExtIO button to bring up the CFGSR screen. Open the Tune tab and make sure that the Tune display on this panel and the LO display on HDSDR track. Changing one should change the other at the same time.

                            2) You do not have the correct audio card selected. Under "Soundcard" both RX Input and TX Output should have "Peaberry Audio" selected.

                            Also be aware that there will be no RF output when you are in either SSB mode unless there is audio input being supplied to HDSDR from the Microphone input, and there will be no RF output on CW unless the RETURN key is pressed. For transmit testing I always use either FM or AM modes to get a carrier. AM is nice because the carrier level is reduced and you don't beat up the finals of the RXTX too much for extended tune times.

                            Hope that helps.

                            Warren Allgyer
                            9V1TD

                            ---In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, <chuckwain@...> wrote :

[...]

                          • David Turnbull

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 13, 2014
                                >I don't think I have a driver issue now. My Peaberry checks out in that area. I still cannot get a signal into the waterfall of
                                >HDSDR. I am using a Buddipole dipole on 20M. I have a FT897, I get lots of contacts with the same antenna setup, I am simply
                                >moving the cable from the FT897 to the Peaberry. Here is what I am seeing on HDSDR:
                                > https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8hd9bpxcowhlok/Peaberry%20HDSDR%203%2012%2014.PNG
                                > https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8hd9bpxcowhlok/Peaberry%20HDSDR%203%2012%2014.PNG
                                >

                                > This waterfall display does not change as I change the LO frequency. I have checked all the obvious settings in HDSDR and they
                                > look OK.

                                Chuck,

                                Difficult.
                                You are not getting antenna signals. The signals you see are not noise seen from a properly functioning soundcard.
                                I'd say this would be a soundcard problem. As this is internal to the Peaberry all you can do is make sure it is selected properly
                                in HDSDR and check that it appears in Device Manager. I guess it should appear in the sound volume controls.
                                Remove power from the Peaberry, just maybe that will point to something.
                                I rather think this is a case for the Peaberry man.
                                And I see David has guided you...

                                73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                > When I hit TX in HDSDR the led blinks as expected. It is on solid when in receive mode.
                                > I just reflowed the solder on the DAC/ADC chip, that had no effect.
                                >
                                > The attached jpg shows my device manager for my Peaberry on Windows 7. The only problem I had was that the Peaberry wasn't showing
                                > up as a SOUND device. I had to totally remove my SoftRock installation and then re-install the Peaberry and it finally showed up
                                > as a SOUND device and a radio. Now, both SoftRock and Peaberry radios are working just fine.
                                >
                                > Mike

                              • chuckwain
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 13, 2014

                                  It is working!  I am listening to DX while typing this.  I plugged/unplugged the Peaberry several times while running HDSDR and it began to work.  Coupled with my Buddipole I have listened to Hawaii and Australia tonight.  Very cool.  Once I determined what a SSB signal looks like on the waterfall it is very easy to pick out signals.

                                  Thanks for the help.

                                  Chuck