WB5RVZ.ORG WebSite Is Down

  • wb5rvz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 12, 2014
      At about 1800 (CST) last night, the WB5RVZ.ORG website (where all the current kits are documented) went suddenly offline.

      I have been advised by our hosting provider that the reason was a massive Distributed Denial of Service (DDOS) attack on their servers.

      They say that have been working to restore sites for the last 22+ hours. Given that the monthly fee I have to pay is less than $5. I suspect they are not terribly motivated to move toward a solution with the greatest of expedition.

      I cannot at this time get any prediction from them as to when the sites will be back up.

      I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

      Suffice it to say that I am not a happy camper.

      I'll post updates as they occur.
    • Simon Brown
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2014

        It’s up now.

        I suffer DOS from IP address in Ran, it’s thought that a combination of Iranian and Chinese hackers are behind this. You can imagine what they want…

        Simon Brown (G4ELI/HB9DRV)
        http://v2.sdr-radio.com

        From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of wb5rvz

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2014

          Dear Lord,

          This wretched pre-emptive spelling thing (and my eyesight). I suffer from DOS from Iran, Iranian and Chinese hacking / attacking / …

          Simon Brown (G4ELI/HB9DRV)
          http://v2.sdr-radio.com

          From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Simon Brown

          I suffer DOS from IP address in Ran, it’s thought that a combination of Iranian and Chinese hackers are behind this. You can imagine what they want…

        • John Rabson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 13, 2014
            You could try dictation software, although I find it sometimes does odd things such as rendering “bring a dish” (for the village party) as “bring a geisha”.

            John F5VLF/G3PAI

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2014
              Thanks, Simon. Yes, indeed, it is up.

              There must be a special chamber in the depths of hell reserved for these low-life hackers!

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Brown" <simon@...> wrote:

              > It's up now.
              >

              > I suffer DOS from IP address in Ran, it's thought that a combination of
              > Iranian and Chinese hackers are behind this. You can imagine what they want.
              >

              > Simon Brown (G4ELI/HB9DRV)
              > http://v2.sdr-radio.com
              >

              > From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On
              > Behalf Of wb5rvz
              >
              > I'll post updates as they occur.

            • Gordon JC Pearce
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2014
                On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 02:19:16PM -0000, wb5rvz wrote:
                > Thanks, Simon. Yes, indeed, it is up.
                >
                > There must be a special chamber in the depths of hell reserved for these low-life hackers!

                Those aren't hackers. I'm a hacker. You probably are too. Amateur radio is hacker culture.

                These people aren't even crackers.

                They're just arseholes.

                Just the same, please don't use the word "hacker" in a pejorative sense like that.

                --
                Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
              • Simon Brown
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 13, 2014

                  Hi,

                  First remove gonads. Then whatever else you want…

                  Simon Brown (G4ELI/HB9DRV)
                  http://v2.sdr-radio.com

                  From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of wb5rvz

                  There must be a special chamber in the depths of hell reserved for these low-life hackers!

                • allen.woolfrey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 13, 2014

                    Three cheers for proper use of "hacker"!

                    We probably need a Yahoo group on rehabilitating mi-used words.

                    My personal project is "decimate", which means "reduce by ten percent".

                    72, Al - va3iaw

                  • Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 13, 2014
                      All, just as a security tidbit, a new exploit in the network time protocol daemon was found and ported to the crackers over the Christmas timeframe. It's similar to a DNS amplified attack. It's possible to slam a server with NTP outputs directed to said server, without that server ever asking for them.

                      The latest, newest, all the stuff sys admins don't want to hear about, version of ntpd has removed the offending command. There's a config file fix available which I can share if ISPs need it. This (http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/hackers-spend-christmas-break-launching-large-scale-ntp-reflection-attacks) tells the story.

                      gerry n5jxs

                      On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM, <allen@...> wrote:

                      Three cheers for proper use of "hacker"!

                      We probably need a Yahoo group on rehabilitating mi-used words.

                      My personal project is "decimate", which means "reduce by ten percent".

                      72, Al - va3iaw

                      --
                      Gerry Creager
                      NSSL/CIMMS
                      405.325.6371
                      ++++++++++++++++++++++
                      “Big whorls have little whorls,
                      That feed on their velocity;
                      And little whorls have lesser whorls,
                      And so on to viscosity.”
                      Lewis Fry Richardson (1881-1953)
                    • MIKE DURKIN
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 13, 2014
                        it was a test before the real assault .....

                        To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                        From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of wb5rvz

                        I'll post updates as they occur.