A couple of newbie questoins...

  • Terry Reiber
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 7, 2014
      I just received a built softrock RXTX...

      Went to plug in my coax cable with PL259 into it, and low and behold, it's not a female PL259 on the RXTX.  Don't recognize what it is?  Will I need some kind of connector?

      Also, I just downloaded the latest version of powersdr.  Was that the smartest move?

      Thanks!

      Terry Reiber

    • Bill Maxwell

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2014
        • 1 Attachment
        • 365 KB
        Hi Bill,

        I attached a photo.

        Is this BNC female?

        Terry Reiber

        Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2014
          Yes all Ensembles have a BNC Jack.  50 Ohm variety
          Dave
          VE7PKE

          Sent from my iPhone

          On 2014-01-07, at 19:04, "Terry Reiber" <terry@...> wrote:

          Hi Bill,

          I attached a photo.

          Is this BNC female?

          Terry Reiber

          Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2014
            Thanks Dave,

            I see. Is it a female BNC?

            Terry Reiber

            On 2014-01-07, at 19:04, "Terry Reiber" <terry@...> wrote:

            Hi Bill,

            I attached a photo.

            Is this BNC female?

            Terry Reiber

            Message 6 of 9 , Jan 7, 2014
              Terry,
              The Center pin is female.
              If you are not familiar with basic connectors.   Find a copy of the ARRL handbook or google BNC

              Dave
              VE7PKE

              Sent from my iPhone

              On 2014-01-07, at 19:23, "Terry Reiber" <terry@...> wrote:

              Thanks Dave,

              I see. Is it a female BNC?

              Terry Reiber

              On 2014-01-07, at 19:04, "Terry Reiber" <terry@...> wrote:

              Hi Bill,

              I attached a photo.

              Is this BNC female?

              Terry Reiber

              Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2014
                Yes

                On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 9:04 PM, Terry Reiber <terry@...> wrote:

                [Attachment(s) from Terry Reiber included below]

                Hi Bill,

                I attached a photo.

                Is this BNC female?

                Terry Reiber

                --
                Clif Holland KA5IPF
                www.avvid.com
                Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2014
                  The photo isn't all that revealing but it certainly looks like a BNC female. They are a bayonet fitting, as opposed to the screw fitting used by the PL259. I assume it has a bayonet lug on the hidden side too.

                  BNC to SO234 converters (the female of the PL259 plug is the SO234 socket by the way ) are available
                  and fairly common here in Australia. I imagine they will be easily obtained wherever you are too.

                  I use BNC in preference to PL259 within the shack and N type elsewhere. I have PL259/SO234 stuff here too but only because that is what much gear comes with. They aren't as good as either N type or BNC, at least in my opinion.

                  Bill, VK7MX
                  On 8/01/2014 2:04 PM, Terry Reiber wrote:
                  Hi Bill,

                  I attached a photo.

                  Is this BNC female?

                  Terry Reiber

                Message 9 of 9 , Jan 8, 2014
                  Terry,

                  You need to use version 2.4.4 and use the exe file from the PowerSDR-iq site to make this work. If you contact me off list I can send you my screen shots that show the setup.
                  Bill
                  KD8IGK