Getting Rocky to communicate with my computer

  • kj4fgi
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2014
      I built the 40m SoftRock Lite II Combined Receiver Kit and downloaded Rocky software. The radio is working, I hear  CW and PSK  ect. I configured Rocky per instructions, using the laptop recording for input and the output for output, Rocky is not communicating with my laptop. I than tried a usb sound card, configured it, I  went to Devices and Printers and made sure the usb sound card was enabled, no communication.

      So, I have an sdr radio that is working, I open up Rocky, configure it, no communication, I even tried the waterfall, no dice.

        This is my first SDR, I thought I would try this first before I build the RC/TX one.

        Can anybody please help.

      Thanks.
      Ed - kj4fgi

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2014
        Subject: [softrock40] Getting Rocky to communicate with my computer

        >I built the 40m SoftRock Lite II Combined Receiver Kit and downloaded Rocky software. The radio is working, I hear CW and PSK
        >ect. I configured Rocky per instructions, using the laptop recording for input and the output for output, Rocky is not
        >communicating with my laptop. I than tried a usb sound card, configured it, I went to Devices and Printers and made sure the usb
        >sound card was enabled, no communication.
        > So, I have an sdr radio that is working, I open up Rocky, configure it, no communication, I even tried the waterfall, no dice.

        Ed,

        If it is not working how do you hear CW/PSK? I guess it is not tuneable in Rocky? You have wrong mixer settings. Disable Stereo Mix
        or What you hear.
        Try different software.
        HDSDR/SDR# etc.
        Rocky often does not work properly with later Windows versions.

        Best to avoid this possibility while you struggle with the mixer settings..

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Ed
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2014
          Alan,

             In the computer microphone setup I checked the "listen to this device" box,
          that's how I hear the radio through my speakers.
          I've tried to laptops, one is running windows 7 64 bit and my other laptop with windows 7 32 bit.
          I'll go over the settings again. Is there a windows driver needed?
          Thank you Alan

            Ed - kj4fgi

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2014

            >In the computer microphone setup I checked the "listen to this device" box,
            that's how I hear the radio through my speakers.

            Ed,

            That is wrong, uncheck that. The "audio" must be processed by a SDR program.

            >I've tried to laptops, one is running windows 7 64 bit and my other laptop with windows 7 32 bit.
            I'll go over the settings again. Is there a windows driver needed?

            No driver for a Lite.
            Try different software, I've a couple of pages that might help.
            https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/connecting-soundcard-sdr-to-computer and
            https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/configuring-a-softrock-sdr

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            >>If it is not working how do you hear CW/PSK? I guess it is not tuneable in Rocky? You have wrong mixer settings. Disable Stereo
            >>Mix
            or What you hear.
            Try different software.
            HDSDR/SDR# etc.
            Rocky often does not work properly with later Windows versions.

            Best to avoid this possibility while you struggle with the mixer settings..
          • yl2qn_andy
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2014

              Hi,

              Rocky running on latest Windows (include Windows 7) very often can't see USB sound cards. I'm use VAC mapped to necessary sound card and select in Rocky appropriate VAC line. As I remember, works well for I/Q and headsets too. While I'm not use Rocky often, this from my early experiments with SDR.

              Regards,

              Andy - YL2QN

            • Ed
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2014
                Thanks Andy, when I get back to Florida I will apply your's and Alan's suggestion.

                Thanks for responding!

                Ed kj4fgi

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2014
                  I installed this software and it works beautiful!

                  Thanks to Allen and Andy for setting me in the right direction!

                  Eddie kj4fgi

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2014
                    • I forgot to add. The software is:
                    • SDR# Stable (Revision 1000, Stable)