Built my Softrock Lite II for the K3 and have a couple of questions

  • tomb18ca
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 17, 2013
      HI,

      Just finished my Softrock for the K3.  First surface mount kit I've built and frankly wasn't sure it would work! Hooked it up to the K3, plugged it in to my E-Mu 0404 and ran my software and it's working!
      Impressions: Much flatter baseline at 192kHz than my KX3.  Much larger "Hump" at the 0 frequency.
      What I have also noticed is that images are quite strong.  My software has he ability to vary the "gain" of each channel and while on the KX3 I can reduce the images to a negligable level, there is still a noticeable image left.  I can reduce it, but it's only about 30db down.  Quite noticeable on AM with a strong signal, whereas on the KX3 is just barely.  Any reason for this?
      The second thing is the shift in the signal from the centre frequency.  It appears to be around 25kHz.  Is this right?  On the KX3 there is no shift except in AM.
      Pretty neat though, and loads cheaper than a P3!

      There has been mention of using an isolator chip at the input.  How can I tell if this is needed?

      Thanks for any help.
      Tom va2fsq
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 17, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Built my Softrock Lite II for the K3 and have a couple of questions

        > plugged it in to my E-Mu 0404
        >Much larger "Hump" at the 0 frequency.

        Tom,

        Hump, not spike is ground loops, or possibly spurious pickup. In an IF application this should be easy to eliminate.

        > What I have also noticed is that images are quite strong. My software has he ability to vary the "gain" of each channel and while
        > on the KX3 I can reduce the images to a negligable level, there is still a noticeable image left. I can reduce it, but it's only
        > about 30db down. Quite noticeable on AM with a strong signal, whereas on the KX3 is just barely. Any reason for this?

        I guess the KX3 has an IQ output?? I'm not familiar. This does not use the E-Mu 0404?
        What software are you using? Any should reduce the image by 70dB or usually more.
        30dB is what one expects before any software adjustment.
        But I've read bad things about newer EMUs. You may have to experiment with sample delays, and that may differ with sample rate..

        > The second thing is the shift in the signal from the centre frequency. It appears to be around 25kHz. Is this right?

        You mean the centre is offset from the K3's frequency? This is normal, otherwise the Softrock LO will get into the K3.

        > There has been mention of using an isolator chip at the input. How can I tell if this is needed?

        Transformers in the audio? I do not like this, possible phase shifts, and as I said ground loops should be easy to eliminate for an
        IF application.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Clif Holland
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 18, 2013
          The center frequency being offset from display center is what I've been
          fighting. I want the displayed freq on the radio to be in the center of the
          display on my computer, not offset 15-20 kHz. If it can't be done I'll quit
          fighting and consider the SDR a failure as a panadapter and go on down the
          road.

          Clif Holland KA5IPF
          www.avvid.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 18, 2013

            > The center frequency being offset from display center is what I've been
            > fighting. I want the displayed freq on the radio to be in the center of the
            > display on my computer, not offset 15-20 kHz. If it can't be done I'll quit
            > fighting and consider the SDR a failure as a panadapter and go on down the
            > road.

            Clif,

            This is a fudamental problem with using a soundcard SDR to work at the IF frequency.
            I'm not sure why it bothers you, many use this method, I do not remember anyone complaining. I do not use a panadaptor that often
            but I'm not sure that it is really very obvious.
            One way to overcome it visually is to use a high sample rate and lose some at the edges by zooming the display.
            Another is to use a different crystal and hope that a buffer amplifier will have sufficient isolation. But this is likely to be very
            difficult practically.

            A practical way is to use "Subharmonic mixing". An explanation here
            https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano#First%20IF You could calculate the crystal so that the "virtual LO" is
            closer to the centre. But it must not be at the centre. Another fundamental feature of many SDRs, reception is not perfect if the
            centre is included in the audio passband.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            >> Hump, not spike is ground loops, or possibly spurious pickup. In an IF
            >> application this should be easy to eliminate.
            >>
            >>> What I have also noticed is that images are quite strong. My software
            >>> has he ability to vary the "gain" of each channel and while
            >>> on the KX3 I can reduce the images to a negligable level, there is still
            >>> a noticeable image left. I can reduce it, but it's only
            >>> about 30db down. Quite noticeable on AM with a strong signal, whereas on
            >>> the KX3 is just barely. Any reason for this?
            >>
            >> I guess the KX3 has an IQ output?? I'm not familiar. This does not use the
            >> E-Mu 0404?
            >> What software are you using? Any should reduce the image by 70dB or
            >> usually more.
            >> 30dB is what one expects before any software adjustment.
            >> But I've read bad things about newer EMUs. You may have to experiment with
            >> sample delays, and that may differ with sample rate..
            >>

            >>> The second thing is the shift in the signal from the centre frequency.
            >>> It appears to be around 25kHz. Is this right?
            >>
            >> You mean the centre is offset from the K3's frequency? This is normal,
            >> otherwise the Softrock LO will get into the K3.
            >>

            >>> There has been mention of using an isolator chip at the input. How can I
            >>> tell if this is needed?
            >>>

            >> Transformers in the audio? I do not like this, possible phase shifts, and
            >> as I said ground loops should be easy to eliminate for an
            >> IF application.

          • Clif Holland
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 18, 2013
              I understand that at "zero" there will be no reception and I understand why.
              I don't care I'm not wanting it for a receiver, just a panadapter. It could
              be the problem is in the software, I just don't know. I built the Lite IF
              kit to use for a panadapter and so far it hasn't worked as expected.

              Clif Holland KA5IPF
              www.avvid.com

              >> The center frequency being offset from display center is what I've been
              >> fighting. I want the displayed freq on the radio to be in the center of
              >> the
              >> display on my computer, not offset 15-20 kHz. If it can't be done I'll
              >> quit
              >> fighting and consider the SDR a failure as a panadapter and go on down
              >> the
              >> road.
              >>

              > Clif,
              >
              > This is a fudamental problem with using a soundcard SDR to work at the IF
              > frequency.
              > I'm not sure why it bothers you, many use this method, I do not remember
              > anyone complaining. I do not use a panadaptor that often
              > but I'm not sure that it is really very obvious.
              > One way to overcome it visually is to use a high sample rate and lose some
              > at the edges by zooming the display.
              > Another is to use a different crystal and hope that a buffer amplifier
              > will have sufficient isolation. But this is likely to be very
              > difficult practically.
              >
              > A practical way is to use "Subharmonic mixing". An explanation here
              > https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano#First%20IF You
              > could calculate the crystal so that the "virtual LO" is
              > closer to the centre. But it must not be at the centre. Another
              > fundamental feature of many SDRs, reception is not perfect if the
              > centre is included in the audio passband.
              >
              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
              >

              >>> Hump, not spike is ground loops, or possibly spurious pickup. In an IF
              >>> application this should be easy to eliminate.

              >>> I guess the KX3 has an IQ output?? I'm not familiar. This does not use
              >>> the
              >>> E-Mu 0404?
              >>> What software are you using? Any should reduce the image by 70dB or
              >>> usually more.
              >>> 30dB is what one expects before any software adjustment.
              >>> But I've read bad things about newer EMUs. You may have to experiment
              >>> with
              >>> sample delays, and that may differ with sample rate..

              >>> You mean the centre is offset from the K3's frequency? This is normal,
              >>> otherwise the Softrock LO will get into the K3.

              >>> Transformers in the audio? I do not like this, possible phase shifts,
              >>> and
              >>> as I said ground loops should be easy to eliminate for an
              >>> IF application.

            • g4elj
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 18, 2013

                I have used a Softrock as a panadapter on my homebrew Picastar for several years.

                What you want is to see the centre frequency of the software at the 'frequency' of Rx.

                I can do that using Rocky under XP with a Delta 44 such that 0.00 on the panadapter display is my IF frequency. The centre frequency of the Softrock is a few kHz lower. On a 96kHz display I see I think +44 and -52 (or whatever). Because you have to offset you will never see +/-48kHz of your IF. It will always be more one way than the other. I never use the panadptor to demodulate. It is solely there as an indication of where everyone is. Fantastic for monitoring split CW pileups. I can see exactly where the DX station is working people and whether they are moving up or down and position myself accordingly. It never fails!

                So with the software you are using you need to find how to change the offset so it all lines up correctly. It's a software issue, not a hardware issue.

                Duncan

                G4ELJ

              • Frans Schwartz
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 18, 2013

                  I also have build the lite version,,, in order to use it as pan adapter for my Elecraft K3.. so far it does not match my expectations.

                  The offset causes the biggest problem. I have tried several SDR programs but did not solve my problem.

                  I see a offset of approx 28KHz… which is annoying… so some hints would be welcome and much appreciated.

                  Regards, Frans PA5CA

                • Clif Holland
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 18, 2013
                    It bother me because the radio center frequency is 16kHz above display
                    frequency. I have abt 30-35 kHz above and a bunch below. Also the radio and
                    frequency won't coincide.

                    Anyone want to buy a working Lite II IF set up for Kenwood?

                    Clif Holland KA5IPF
                    www.avvid.com

                    >> The center frequency being offset from display center is what I've been
                    >> fighting. I want the displayed freq on the radio to be in the center of
                    >> the
                    >> display on my computer, not offset 15-20 kHz. If it can't be done I'll
                    >> quit
                    >> fighting and consider the SDR a failure as a panadapter and go on down
                    >> the
                    >> road.
                    >>

                    > Clif,
                    >
                    > This is a fudamental problem with using a soundcard SDR to work at the IF
                    > frequency.
                    > I'm not sure why it bothers you, many use this method, I do not remember
                    > anyone complaining. I do not use a panadaptor that often
                    > but I'm not sure that it is really very obvious.
                    > One way to overcome it visually is to use a high sample rate and lose some
                    > at the edges by zooming the display.
                    > Another is to use a different crystal and hope that a buffer amplifier
                    > will have sufficient isolation. But this is likely to be very
                    > difficult practically.
                    >
                    > A practical way is to use "Subharmonic mixing". An explanation here
                    > https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano#First%20IF You
                    > could calculate the crystal so that the "virtual LO" is
                    > closer to the centre. But it must not be at the centre. Another
                    > fundamental feature of many SDRs, reception is not perfect if the
                    > centre is included in the audio passband.
                    >
                    > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    >

                    >>> Hump, not spike is ground loops, or possibly spurious pickup. In an IF
                    >>> application this should be easy to eliminate.

                    >>> I guess the KX3 has an IQ output?? I'm not familiar. This does not use
                    >>> the
                    >>> E-Mu 0404?
                    >>> What software are you using? Any should reduce the image by 70dB or
                    >>> usually more.
                    >>> 30dB is what one expects before any software adjustment.
                    >>> But I've read bad things about newer EMUs. You may have to experiment
                    >>> with
                    >>> sample delays, and that may differ with sample rate..

                    >>> You mean the centre is offset from the K3's frequency? This is normal,
                    >>> otherwise the Softrock LO will get into the K3.

                    >>> Transformers in the audio? I do not like this, possible phase shifts,
                    >>> and
                    >>> as I said ground loops should be easy to eliminate for an
                    >>> IF application.

                  • Clif Holland
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 18, 2013
                      AMEN

                      Clif Holland KA5IPF
                      www.avvid.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 18, 2013

                        Hi Duncan.

                        My main rig is my all-homebrew PIC-a-STAR, driving an EB-104 MOSFET amplifier.

                        I also have a VK3PE version.

                        What is the frequency of your Softrock's xtal?

                        Also, did you use a buffer amplifier, and if so, how is it configured?

                        Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

                        Thanks!

                        Vy 73, AI2Q, Alex

[...]

                        No virus found in this message.

                      • Frans Schwartz
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 18, 2013

                          I’m now in the process with an DVB-TV USB stick, RTL2832U & R820T DVB-T RTL-SDR+DAB+FM USB Digital TV Tune  cost $9,60
                          I have received the USB stick and I’m building a 125MHz up converter.. I truly hope this device will work as expected.

                          I’ll invest some more time in the softrock project as soon the DBV-TV stick functions … I have tested the stick with SDR sharp and it looks promising….

                          Frans…

                        • Tom
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 18, 2013
                            I'm the author of win4k3suite.
                            You can be sure by the time I'm done the Softrock will be centered correctly in all modes in my software.  There will be compromises though.  The overall span at 192khz will only be about 150 and one can forget about 44khz.
                            I also have an LA pan on order so I will wait for it as well so that I can come up with a general solution for the offsets.
                            73s Tom
                            Va2fsq.com

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 18, 2013

                              Hi Tom,

                              I have invested in the softrock project, I bought a 'Creative X-Fi Model sb 1090' USB sound card 24bit which give me at least 96KHz bandwidth.. but would be happy to have 48KHz and it matches the K3 display…

                              I’ll have a look at the win4k3suite….

                              Kind regards,

                              Frans… (pa5ca) 73

                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 19, 2013

                                > It bother me because the radio center frequency is 16kHz above display
                                > frequency. I have abt 30-35 kHz above and a bunch below. Also the radio and
                                > frequency won't coincide.

                                Clif,

                                I'm sure many have done this with a K3.
                                You need CAT to get the best from a panoramic display.
                                The frequencies will coincide if you have setup the software properly with the radio and software talking to each other. There are
                                settings to eliminate any frequency offset. I've only used HDSDR https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano but any
                                software with panadaptor settings should do the same. There must be descriptions of exactly how to set a K3 somewhere on the web.

                                When the frequency displays coincide then I do not see a problem with the tuned frequency offset although the display can be
                                manipulated to have the tuned frequency more central.

                                If you do not use CAT then an approximation may be made by manipulating the LO and offset settings in the software to make the tuned
                                frequency 0 on the panadapter. Maybe then setting the individual mode offsets will work, manually altering the mode of the software.
                                I have never tried this.

                                And, more simply, there is Duncan's way although I'm not sure how he copes with a Softrock LO so close to centre.

                                73 Alan G4ZFQ
                              • scott jacobs
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 19, 2013
                                  I do not understand why a softrock was used here when the iq output of the kx3 will connect directly to the pc.

                                  I found the following Link which may help you with your quandry.

                                  I use an IC 761 with the softrock and the software mentioned here.  While I agree
                                  the software settings can be tedious it is well worth it.

                                  scott nz4aa

                                  On Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:17 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                                  > It bother me because the radio center frequency is 16kHz above display
                                  > frequency. I have abt 30-35 kHz above and a bunch below. Also the radio and
                                  > frequency won't coincide.

                                  Clif,

                                  I'm sure many have done this with a K3.
                                  You need CAT to get the best from a panoramic display.
                                  The frequencies will coincide if you have setup the software properly with the radio and software talking to each other. There are
                                  settings to eliminate any frequency offset. I've only used HDSDR https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-if-pano but any
                                  software with panadaptor settings should do the same. There must be descriptions of exactly how to set a K3 somewhere on the web.

                                  When the frequency displays coincide then I do not see a problem with the tuned frequency offset although the display can be
                                  manipulated to have the tuned frequency more central.

                                  If you do not use CAT then an approximation may be made by manipulating the LO and offset settings in the software to make the tuned
                                  frequency 0 on the panadapter. Maybe then setting the individual mode offsets will work, manually altering the mode of the software.
                                  I have never tried this.

                                  And, more simply, there is Duncan's way although I'm not sure how he copes with a Softrock LO so close to centre.

                                  73 Alan G4ZFQ

                                • Duncan Clark
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 19, 2013
                                    In message <31A025719C4F48A3AAFF1DE82E5069D7@Gigabyte>, Alan
                                    <alan4alan@...> writes
                                    >And, more simply, there is Duncan's way although I'm not sure how he
                                    >copes with a Softrock LO so close to centre.

                                    I'm about 5KHz away but don't have any issues. My hump at zero is pretty
                                    much nothing so I can get away with being close. When I am monitory a
                                    split operation It's always 5 more further up on SSB and maybe 2-5 on CW
                                    so no problems.

                                    Duncan
                                    --
                                    Duncan Clark
                                  • Duncan Clark
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 19, 2013
                                      In message <1387467410.43850.YahooMailNeo@...>,
                                      scott jacobs <ki4gsf@...> writes
                                      >I do not understand why a softrock was used here when the iq output of
                                      >the kx3 will connect directly to the pc

                                      It's being used with a K3, not KX3.

                                      Duncan
                                      --
                                      Duncan Clark
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 19, 2013

                                        >>And, more simply, there is Duncan's way although I'm not sure how he
                                        >>copes with a Softrock LO so close to centre.
                                        >
                                        > I'm about 5KHz away but don't have any issues. My hump at zero is pretty
                                        > much nothing so I can get away with being close. When I am monitory a
                                        > split operation It's always 5 more further up on SSB and maybe 2-5 on CW
                                        > so no problems.

                                        Duncan,

                                        What I was wondering was about the Softrock LO getting into the IF of the transceiver. This is the basic reason that at least a
                                        10-15KHz offset is used.
                                        It obviously does not bother you. Do you use a buffer? What one?

                                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                      • g4elj
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 20, 2013
                                          Hi Alan,

                                          I use an AD8007 buffer, basically a copy of the Clfton one set for minimal gain. It's all well isolated and I don't get anything noticeable into the IF itself. I'm guessing I am way down the skirts of the 10.695MHz xtal filter I use.

                                          Duncan
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 20, 2013

                                            > I use an AD8007 buffer, basically a copy of the Clfton one set for minimal gain. It's all well isolated and I don't get anything
                                            > noticeable into the IF itself. I'm guessing I am way down the skirts of the 10.695MHz xtal filter I use.

                                            Duncan,

                                            Thanks, useful to know.