Strange problem with the Ensemble RXTX

  • kc9tsf
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2013
    Hello all,

    Just wanted to share with you guys the strange problem I'm having with my Ensemble RXTX to see if anyone has any suggestions. Basically, the left channel is an exact mirror of the right channel, but the right channel is displaying correctly, and on the correct frequency.

    I have ruled out the possibility that this is a software problem, as another one of my friends who built the kit plugged his Softrock into my program, and his works the way it should.

    There are no other issues. The kit receives signals well, but only on the right channel. I've included a picture of the problem, as seen in HDSDR.

    Thanks and 73,
    Jake
    KC9TSF
  • EB4APL
    Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2013
      Hi,

      Your problem is either your radio has one channel missing or both channels have the same signal.  This could be caused by several issues including just the cable going to the sound card.

      73 de Ignacio EB4APL

      Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2013

        Thanks for your prompt reply. I can rule out the cables being used, as I've used them successfully with other softrock projects. I believe my problem lies within the radio, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

        73

      • R. R. (Robby) Robson
        Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2013
        • EB4APL
          Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10, 2013
            I would try to trace the receiver output backwards with a scope if available.  Also check for bad or missing solder joints.

            73 de Ignacio EB4APL

            On 10/12/2013 19:23, kc9tsf@... wrote:

            Thanks for your prompt reply. I can rule out the cables being used, as I've used them successfully with other softrock projects. I believe my problem lies within the radio, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

            73

          • pa0pje
            Message 6 of 7 , Dec 12, 2013
              Hi Jake,

              I had the same problem long ago on my Softrock 10MHz receiver. It turned out to be that one of the two opamps was damaged and did not produce sufficient output so no proper I/Q levels were available. Swapping the TLV2462CD solved that problem.

              73, Peter - PA0PJE
            • km5ht
              Message 7 of 7 , Dec 17, 2013

                I had the same issue and it was a bad line in jack on the radio.  It would only short when a cable was plugged in.  I replaced the jack and problem was solved.  I could see the short with an ohm meter.