Low signal strength in Ensemble RX II

  • ka9lhe
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2013
      Comparing this receiver build versus my RX/TX, it is nearly deaf, using the same antenna, PC and Delta 44 sound card.
      I have ran through the voltages checking up to and including pass band selection.  All are within reason. I do receive AM band Radio stations within 40 miles.   I am doubtful, that I wound the band pass toroids incorrectly, as I have the RX/TX working great.  It hears better than my TS-850S!

      Any suggestions?
      Mike
    • MICHAEL TALLENT
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2013
        Have you taken an ohmmeter and checked for continuity of the toroid's at the PC boards pads?  Sometimes the enamel gets in the way.

        Mike  W6MXV

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2013
          > Comparing this receiver build versus my RX/TX, it is nearly deaf, using the same antenna, PC and Delta 44 sound card.
          > I have ran through the voltages checking up to and including pass band selection. All are within reason. I do receive AM band
          > Radio stations within 40 miles. I am doubtful, that I wound the band pass toroids incorrectly, as I have the RX/TX working
          > great. It hears better than my TS-850S!

          Mike,

          What bands does your RXTX cover?
          Can you quantify the difference?
          What antenna?

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • they_call_me_longjohn

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 9, 2013

              On the suggestion of KB9YIG,

              I decided to take winding off and inspect T2.  Noticed some stripped insulation.
              New T2 = lots of signals all across the spectrum.

              Thanks!

              Mike/KA9LHE