External Amplifier Control Recommendations

  • Robert Porter
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2013
      Hi All,

      I just purchased a pennywhistle 16 watt amplifier kit to go with my softrock ensemble. The pennywhistle requires a PTT output to control it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a configuration?

      There are a few ideas I have:

      1. The idea I like the most, but is probably not practical, is to reuse the paddles input on the softrock to provide PTT output. It looks like this would require a custom programmed ATTiny85, and perhaps some slight circuit modifications. Probably not going to pursue this option. Has anyone successfully tried this?

      2. It looks like I could probably hook an additional optical isolator (LTV-817) with input hooked up in parallel to the existing isolator on the board. The output would be wired to some sort of socket that I'd try to mount to the softrock case. Hopefully there's enough room for this.

      3. Use a serial port cable from my computer. I don't particularly like this option because it introduces new software complexities and requires more hardware.

      Does anyone have a recommended solution? I'm interested in learning what other people have done. I'm leaning towards option (2). Thanks for the feedback!

      73,
      Rob
      NE6U
    • Adam Jacobs
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2013
        I think that if it was me, I would build a small inline signal-sensing circuit to output the PTT line state. Otherwise, I would use the PC's serial port to actuate the PTT. I'm usually working digital modes with my Ensemble RXTX, so I use com0com to pipe the pretend-serial PTT from the digimode software into HDSDR. it _appears_ that hub4com will split serial across virtual interfaces, so perhaps you could split the PTT from the digimode software into HDSDR as well as a real serial port (for actuating the linear amp). Just some thoughts. It's a problem that everyone solves in their own way, I guess.

        I've also had good luck with these:
        http://www.amazon.com/Ramsey-RFS1-Actuated-Relay-Kit/dp/B0002NRKVC
        Some good components and solid PCB. I've never built one the way they are supposed to be built, but there is good opportunities for slightly modifying the circuit via jumpers and cutting traces; according to need.

        -73 Adam W7QI

        On 11/6/2013 3:52 PM, Robert Porter wrote:

[...]

      • ve7did
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2013
          Hi Rob,
          Easiest way to do it is to use the S12v output from the softrock and go
          into the bias input on the Pennywhistle. As the S12v output on the
          softrock is a PTT high output you will have to make an inverter to run
          the Pennywhistle. A simple one transistor NPN should do the trick.

          I use this line to drive the PTT input on a similar amp designed by the
          AQRP guys. But it uses a PTT high to turn it on.

          Good Luck

          Propagation Knows No Boundaries
          73 de Tom, ve7did

          Robert Porter wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I just purchased a pennywhistle 16 watt amplifier kit to go with my
          > softrock ensemble. The pennywhistle requires a PTT output to control
          > it. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a configuration?
          >
          > There are a few ideas I have:
          >
          > 1. The idea I like the most, but is probably not practical, is to
          > reuse the paddles input on the softrock to provide PTT output. It
          > looks like this would require a custom programmed ATTiny85, and
          > perhaps some slight circuit modifications. Probably not going to
          > pursue this option. Has anyone successfully tried this?
          >
          > 2. It looks like I could probably hook an additional optical isolator
          > (LTV-817) with input hooked up in parallel to the existing isolator on
          > the board. The output would be wired to some sort of socket that I'd
          > try to mount to the softrock case. Hopefully there's enough room for
          > this.
          >
          > 3. Use a serial port cable from my computer. I don't particularly like
          > this option because it introduces new software complexities and
          > requires more hardware.
          >
          > Does anyone have a recommended solution? I'm interested in learning
          > what other people have done. I'm leaning towards option (2). Thanks
          > for the feedback!
          >
          > 73,
          > Rob
          > NE6U

        • John Williams
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2013
            An article in the files section with a npn driven from +s12v to drive a
            relay. I did this to drive a 20Amp ARRLHBC amp PTT low and works perfect.

            Add on.pdf

            John - ke5ssh

            --

            John Williams

            KE5SSH - ham since 2007
            WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm
          • Chris Wilson
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2013
              > An article in the files section with a npn driven from +s12v to drive a
              > relay. I did this to drive a 20Amp ARRLHBC amp PTT low and works perfect.

              > Add on.pdf

              > John - ke5ssh

              07/11/2013 06:47

              That's exactly how I trigger various amps too, and it has been
              flawless.

              --
              Best Regards,
              Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 2013

                   Hi Rob,

                  In mine installation I use PA's after softrock: 1) similar to yours and then 2) 500W final.

                  For PA's  PTT I use S12v signal to drive 2 opto pairs. Also set in PowerSDR software delay 250ms to be sure all commutation is ready.

                  Regards,

                  Andy - YL2QN

                  ---In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, <km5ht@...> wrote:

[...]

                • physicsrob2