Announcement: USB2SDR & HPADC on Indiegogo

  • sv1eia
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2013
      Hi,

      It has been quite some time since the previous USB2SDR offering, yet the demand from users is still going on. And that demand and user interest makes me to take this initiative.

      Due to local reasons, considering the difficult situation here in Greece, any thoughts on moving on with a new batch of boards were suppressed.

      That has changed and the reason for this is the relevant new concept of crowdfunding, that concept can be used here and assist all of us.

      So I decided to start a campaign on Indiegogo, one of the most reputable crowdfunding sites.

      Thus, any of you want to have a new USB2SDR and/or a HPADC, you can do that via the Indiegogo USB2SDR campaign.

      http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/usb2sdr-software-defined-radio-startup

      Any support, even a small contribution, does count.
      If somebody just wants to acknowledge the effort of a freeware developer, is most certainly welcome and can do that too in the Indiegogo campaign.

      Best 73,
      Christos SV1EIA
    • sv1eia
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2013

        Hi,

        After a week since started, please let me remind you the current offering of USB2SDR and HPADC (AK5394A) option board on Indiegogo site.

        http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/usb2sdr-software-defined-radio-startup

        The original announcement text is here

        Christos SV1EIA

        ---In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

      • John Greusel
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2013
          I would like to add that Christos has donated many hours of his personal time to developing PowerSDR for better user experience with our Softrocks. Regardless of whether you want a USB2SDR or not, a small donation towards this project is a nice pat on the back for a selfless, dedicated, generous and talented brother in our SDR ranks. For those in the US a 10 Euro contribution is about $13- and the site takes Paypal.

          John
          KC9OJV

[...]

        • R. R. (Robby) Robson
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2013
            Keep up the good work, Christos!

            --
            Cheers,
            Robby

            Richard R. (Robby) Robson
            LTC USA (USA Retired)
          • they_call_me_longjohn

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 11, 2013
                Ok,

                It looks that you need to be a bit more informed.

                Your assumptions on price, redundant parts and performance would be better expressed only after you have actually tested one.

                Lets take it from the redundant ADCs.
                USB2SDR in its stock configuration has 4in and 4out ports, concurrently working, exactly as PowerSDR is needing for its 'supported' operation mode.

                When someone adds the HPADC option board with the AK5394A top notch ADC, then the USB2SDR becames a 6in plus 6out ports device, all concurrently working, so no ADC becames redundant, all can still be utilized.

                At that point, I have to add something new and not previously advertized. That in the 6in 6out configuration, USB2SDR can be used with a primary SDR rig, PLUS a secondary one, working in the similar way as the Flex5K with the second hardware receiver fitted. That means it can have not only two software in-band receivers, but two totally independent Rx working on different bands within PowerSDR.

                Of course, diversity reception will be also feasible this way for noise cancelling.

                Yet that feature is still in testing and not much advertized, but as you see there is nothing redundant here!

                As a general note, USB2SDR/HPADC is so far the only USB device (in production) with the top notch AK5394A ADC, that has 4in 4out ports, the necessary configuration for PowerSDR to work in 'supported' mode and has been integrated in PowerSDR software for seamless operation.
                AFAIK, the only other device was the Ozy/Janus combo from HPSDR which is not available any more.

                USB2SDR has been designed to bring ease of setup and operation with PowerSDR to homebrew users.

                Now lets go to the second argument on price.

                If you had given a good look at the perks on Indiegogo campaign,

                -> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/usb2sdr-software-defined-radio-startup

                you would have seen that there is a discount if someone buys the USB2SDR plus the HPADC, that comes as a compensation since I have not yet implemented the dual hardware receivers/diversity feature.

                The discount is 50Euro and compensates way more than the actual hardware that is not gonna be used from the average homebrew user if he do not want to activate the stock codec and use only the high performance AK5394A.

                If on the other hand someone does not want to have the premium and pricey option board, he can start with the basic setup which is as you will see quite capable!

                To your performance assumption now.

                Since you have not tested it, expressing a performance opinion is pretty much risky.

                As a matter of fact, there has been some extensive testing with Softrock-type rigs and USB2SDR where the results are documented and presented here

                and here
                -> http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/powersdr-iq/files

                and it shows that a simple softrock and USB2SDR setup can give 87dB of closed space (2KHz) IMD, the benchmark that Sherwood Eng. is measuring the rigs. And that simple setup is at par with Flex1500 and TS-990s at position 12 from the top, leaving behind major legacy radios.
                Bear in mind though that Flex1500 has 48KHz of spectrum whereas with USB2SDR you have 192KHz.

                And that is with the stock codec, the one you express some reservation..

                I hope the above do make things more clear.

                73,
                Christos SV1EIA

                P.S.
                As a sidenote, it would be more polite if anonymous users who express their opinion, hastily, do come forth and present themselves, dont you think so?
              • davesbigharley