Softrocks, HDSDR and Windows 7 64 and 32 bit versions

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2013
      I am thinking of building a new PC and unsure whether to use Windows 7
      Professional 32 bit or 64 bit. The fact 64 bit will address a lot more
      RAM than the 32 bit version is appealing, as I will be running an
      Apache SDR transceiver under the OS, but what experiences does the
      group have with Softrocks, HDSDR and 64 bit versions of Windows 7
      please? I have to say I see quite a few more posts on various forums
      from people having issues with the 64 bit version so I want to be sure
      I make the right choice. Thanks.

      --

      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2013
          My only comment would be one that you probably already know, and that is that 64-bit Win7 is less legacy compatible than 32-bit Win7. We've been dealing with this a lot at work lately, rolling out Win7 to replace XP machines. In a lot of situations, we were more or less forced to go with 32-bit Win7 due to ancient legacy driver incompatibilities.
          Unless you really truly need more than 4gb of RAM for what you are doing, I'd stick with 32-bit Win7 for compatibility reasons if it was me. Provided that the computer has a videocard with a low amount of video memory, then you can get pretty close to the 4gb boundary with 32-bit windows.

          As a tangent, it is really frustrating sometimes that Microsoft enforces the 4gb memory boundary on their consumer versions of windows. My domain controller machine (Windows Server 2003 R2) addresses its 8gb of memory just fine, despite being a 32-bit OS (w/ PAE). The reason MS enforces that 4gb limit is because some software & drivers crash and don't know how to deal with the extra address space.
          My Linux machines are all almost exclusively 32-bit and they are able to address up to something like 64gb of ram.
        64-bit operating systems require more ram to run, so bear that in mind when making your decision as well.

        -73 Adam W7QI

        On 10/25/2013 8:57 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:

        I am thinking of building a new PC and unsure whether to use Windows 7
        Professional 32 bit or 64 bit. The fact 64 bit will address a lot more
        RAM than the 32 bit version is appealing, as I will be running an
        Apache SDR transceiver under the OS, but what experiences does the
        group have with Softrocks, HDSDR and 64 bit versions of Windows 7
        please? I have to say I see quite a few more posts on various forums
        from people having issues with the 64 bit version so I want to be sure
        I make the right choice. Thanks.

        --

        Best Regards,
        Chris Wilson.

      • Doug Coffman
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2013

          Chris,

          I use Windows 8 64 bit on a new system I built.  I use HDSDR, Ham Radio Deluxe and my WaveNode WN-1 digital wattmeter.  I had to come up with a work around for the Wavenode, but everything functions perfectly in the Win 8 environment.  I have found that for my business applications that Win8 is more forgiving than Win7 any flavor.

          Regards,

          Doug Coffman – N9XTF

          I am thinking of building a new PC and unsure whether to use Windows 7
          Professional 32 bit or 64 bit. The fact 64 bit will address a lot more
          RAM than the 32 bit version is appealing, as I will be running an
          Apache SDR transceiver under the OS, but what experiences does the
          group have with Softrocks, HDSDR and 64 bit versions of Windows 7
          please? I have to say I see quite a few more posts on various forums
          from people having issues with the 64 bit version so I want to be sure
          I make the right choice. Thanks.

          --

          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson.

          PDSWireless
          Quick and Simple Internet Access
          Get it now!
            ­­
        • Adam Jacobs

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 25, 2013
              I am running Windoz 7 64 bit and am very happy with it with the exception of not remembering to turn off the automatic updates (they occur just when I really want to do something else).

              No blue screen of death and with the quad core cpu and 8GB of RAM it is fast.

              When I make a major change like a new computer I like to go with the latest and greatest that seems to work (Windoz 8 64 bit went away on my laptop).

              de Paul, W8AEF

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 25, 2013

                32-bit software like HDSDR installs and runs just fine on a 64-bit Windows 7.

                The only issue I encountered was driver availability/quality for E-MU 0202, but this is common to 32 and 64 bit.

                This is the only reason I keep XP on my SDR box.

                73, Mike