Questions and proposals...

  • alain_reiner
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2013

      Dear all,

      I just had my call sign 4 months ago and I am starting a ham station from zero. I started with a RX/TX ensemble II and it seems working good. I am building a magnetic loop antenna and I will add a HF Amplifier.

      Questions :

      - Did anyone compare a RX ensemble against the receiver of the RX/TX Ensemble ?

      - Does anybody use a RX Ensemble with a TX ? if yes, how do you synchronise the 2 VFOs ? How do you protect the Rx while you are transmitting ? Just grounding the RX antenna ?

      Proposals :

      - Could you make a VFO kit after the one used in the RX or RX/TX Ensemble ? It would be quick and easy. I could use it with my MFJ cub. And I could manage to make a VFO software...

      - Could you make a separated SDR TX after the one in the RX/TX ? Without VFO and it could be synchronised with the RX Ensemble or with the VFO alone.

      Thank you for your attention.

      Best Regards and 73,

      Alain F4HFS

    • Bill Cromwell
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2013
        On 10/13/2013 04:31 PM, alain.reiner@... wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > I just had my call sign 4 months ago and I am starting a ham station
        > from zero. I started with a RX/TX ensemble II and it seems working
        > good. I am building a magnetic loop antenna and I will add a HF Amplifier.
        >
        > Questions :
        >
        > - Did anyone compare a RX ensemble against the receiver of the RX/TX
        > Ensemble ?
        >
        > - Does anybody use a RX Ensemble with a TX ? if yes, how do you
        > synchronise the 2 VFOs ? How do you protect the Rx while you are
        > transmitting ? Just grounding the RX antenna ?
        >
        > Proposals :
        >
        > - Could you make a VFO kit after the one used in the RX or RX/TX
        > Ensemble ? It would be quick and easy. I could use it with my MFJ cub.
        > And I could manage to make a VFO software...
        >
        > - Could you make a separated SDR TX after the one in the RX/TX ?
        > Without VFO and it could be synchronised with the RX Ensemble or with
        > the VFO alone.
        >
        > Thank you for your attention.
        >
        > Best Regards and 73,
        >
        > Alain F4HFS

        Hi Alain,

        I think what you are asking about is how to have your transmitter on the
        same frequency you are listening to. It's the same thing hams did for
        many, many years before there were transceivers. You have a spotting
        function on your transmitter that produces a very low level signal - not
        on the air. You can hear it in your receiver. You adjust it so that it
        is zeroed against the signal you are receiving. With the waterfall
        displays you have on your SDR receiver you can see it on the display and
        you just adjust the TX VFO to move it right on top of the signal you are
        listening to when you want to answer him.

        Using a transceiver is no assurance that you are on the same frequency
        as your QSO partner. Zeroing a separate transmitter is often much
        closer. I say that from more than 30 years of observing other ham's QSOs
        while operating my station. I have come to prefer a separate transmitter
        and receiver.

        I hope this helps.

        73,

        Bill KU8H
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2013
          Subject: [softrock40] Questions and proposals...

          > - Did anyone compare a RX ensemble against the receiver of the RX/TX Ensemble ?

          Alain,

          They are virtually identical, apart from the LF attenuators in the RX.

          > - Does anybody use a RX Ensemble with a TX ? if yes, how do you synchronise the 2 VFOs ? How do you protect the Rx while you are
          > transmitting ? Just grounding the RX antenna ?

          You mean a transciever? CAT like
          <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/installing-and-using-hdsdr#Use%20HDSDR%20with%20an%20Ensemble> or as a IF panadapter. I
          guess a relay to ground the antenna will be satisfactory.

          > Proposals :
          > - Could you make a VFO kit after the one used in the RX or RX/TX Ensemble ? It would be quick and easy. I could use it with my MFJ
          > cub. And I could manage to make a VFO software...

          Various designs are available depending on your exact requirements.

          > - Could you make a separated SDR TX after the one in the RX/TX ? Without VFO and it could be synchronised with the RX Ensemble or
          > with the VFO alone.

          You could, but one thing that will not be compatible is the USB controller. There may be various ways to do this but you need to
          understand and design what you want.
          4 RXTX are easy, or something like the MOBO does what you want but is not quite so easy.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • alain_reiner
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 24, 2013

            Hi Bill, sorry for the late answer. Thank you, yes it does help !