RE: [softrock40] CAT Control with PowerSDR for Homemade Rigs

  • Richard Mogford
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 5, 2013

      Is it possible to use the CAT control features of PowerSDR for Homemade Rigs with external radios, such as Yaesu?  Do I need to run another program in the background to achieve this?

      Richard

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013
        Subject: RE: [softrock40] CAT Control with PowerSDR for Homemade Rigs

        >Is it possible to use the CAT control features of PowerSDR for Homemade Rigs with external radios, such as Yaesu? Do I need to run
        >another program in the background to achieve this?

        Richard,

        The CAT feature of PSDR enables it to look like a radio so other programs can control it.
        I am unaware of any means by which PSDR may control another radio, there seem to be no settings in it's configuration and a search
        of the various help locations shows nothing.

        HDSDR uses Omni-Rig to control external equipment, I see nothing like this in PSDR.
        (Like PSDR this also looks like a Kenwood for CAT purposes.)

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • Richard Mogford
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013

          Thanks, Alan.  You are always very helpful.

          There is a CAT control tab in PSDR, but it seems to have limited choices.

          I did try that feature in HDSDR and it worked fine.  I just like PSDR better!

          Richard

          >Is it possible to use the CAT control features of PowerSDR for Homemade Rigs with external radios, such as Yaesu? Do I need to run
          >another program in the background to achieve this?

          Richard,

          The CAT feature of PSDR enables it to look like a radio so other programs can control it.
          I am unaware of any means by which PSDR may control another radio, there seem to be no settings in it's configuration and a search
          of the various help locations shows nothing.

          HDSDR uses Omni-Rig to control external equipment, I see nothing like this in PSDR.
          (Like PSDR this also looks like a Kenwood for CAT purposes.)

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • bill.bathgate

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013

              Thanks, Bill.

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2013

                Bill

                Can you help with any details of how to use it?  Does it connect directly to the radio for CAT?  Or do you have to use an intermediary program, like Ham Radio Deluxe?

                I have my Yaesu FT-900 connected to a serial cable for CAT.  It is identified in the computer as COM5.  When I set COM5 into the Options menu, it does not seem to communicate with the radio.

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7, 2013
                  Richard,

                  There is a document on how to set this up I suggest that you try the free

                   software

                  http://dxlabsuite.com/

                  http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=4541

                  http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50477.aspx

                  If you read up on the articles on connecting your K3 to the PowerSDR software there are quite a few hams that have set this up.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 7, 2013

                    Thanks.  See how to set up DDUTIL with a software S-meter.  I am trying to control an Yaesu FT-900 from the PowerSDR for Homemade Rigs software.

                    I’ll search around some more.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 7, 2013
                      Thanks for the information.  I tried to go through this just to learn how it works, and the meter is pretty cool.

                      However, I got confused at the DDutil setup screen.  The version I downloaded does not look like the screen in the instructions.  Also, with vspMgr, the selections for computer emulation do not include XP SP3, as in the instructions, just XP SP2.

                      I don't really understand yet how to use these programs.

                      Will this allow me to control (preferably two way) my radio (Yaesu FT-900) with PowerSDR for Homemade rigs?

                      Can someone describe the setup for me?

                      For example, I have a Prolific port emulator that allows me to connect a USB cable to the CAT control on my radio.  It typically shows up as COM5.  Can I use this?  (I uninstalled it as part of the vspMrg install process.

                      Richard

                      >Is it possible to use the CAT control features of PowerSDR for Homemade Rigs with external radios, such as Yaesu? Do I need to run
                      >another program in the background to achieve this?

                      Richard,

                      The CAT feature of PSDR enables it to look like a radio so other programs can control it.
                      I am unaware of any means by which PSDR may control another radio, there seem to be no settings in it's configuration and a search
                      of the various help locations shows nothing.

                      HDSDR uses Omni-Rig to control external equipment, I see nothing like this in PSDR.
                      (Like PSDR this also looks like a Kenwood for CAT purposes.)

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ

                    • Stew KF5KOG
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 8, 2013

                        73, Stew