Re: [softrock40] RE: USB Bug?

  • K5MYJ
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 3, 2013
      Thanks,

      Now I do understand the problem. Before I retired I was a Windows
      programmer.

      This may explain why my Arduno does not work also.

      Bob Macklin
      K5MYJ
      Seattle, Wa.
      "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
      Message 2 of 21 , May 11, 2014

        Hi I am have the same problem with a win7 64 machine. I am building the ensemble II RX. Still in the building process.... when you plug in the usb it says "unknown device" after reading these posts I tried leaving the usb plugged in and after reboot it is working....... I brought up the CFGSR and It says it is connected.

        Anyone finger this out???

        Barry

      • Tony Parks
        Message 3 of 21 , May 11, 2014
          Hi Barry,

          I have noted the problem on a number of RX and RXTX boards that I have built.  In some cases the code in the ATTiny85 was corrupted.  I have come to the conclusion that the grounded pin of the ATTiny85 socket, pin 4, is hard to truly have a good connection to circuit board.  Look closely at the socket pin 4 to see if you think it may not be soldered properly.
          --
          Tony Parks
          kb9yig@...

          Message 4 of 21 , May 11, 2014
            > Hi I am have the same problem with a win7 64 machine. I am building the ensemble II RX. Still in the building process.... when you
            > plug in the usb it says "unknown device" after reading these posts I tried leaving the usb plugged in and after reboot it is
            > working....... I brought up the CFGSR and It says it is connected.

            Barry,

            Bug or not, it is a common problem on all Windows versions.
            As you say, either plug in before booting or remove ALL USB devices before plugging in the Softrock will get round this problem.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • doris van der veen
            Message 5 of 21 , May 11, 2014

              > Hi I am have the same
              problem with a win7 64 machine. I am building the ensemble II RX. Still in the building process.... when you
              > plug in the usb it says "unknown device"
              after reading these posts I tried leaving the usb plugged in and after reboot it is
              > working....... I brought up the CFGSR and It says it is
              connected.

              Barry,

              Bug or not, it is a common problem on all Windows versions.
              As you say, either plug in before booting or remove ALL USB devices before plugging in the Softrock will get round this problem.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ

              I use bthe ensemble. No problems with usb.
              It is really  a questin of to much current, may be an excternall
               powersupply or an y cable ?

              Best regards,

              Doris

              Message 6 of 21 , May 11, 2014
                Message 7 of 21 , May 11, 2014

                  Tony,

                  I checked the pin four ground and it looks ok. I even went from the bottom of C2 (ground) and direct to pin 4 if U1 and I had continuity. If I unplug the usb and plug it back in I get  the same message. Rebooting I guess is the fix for now until a proper fix comes along.

                  Barry

                • scaninky
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 11, 2014
                    This may be a stupid question but when you plug in the USB cable is that what powers the atmel chip? Can it be that the  microprocessor does not start up fast enough to talk to the computer? My message on the says the USB device had a  problem ( or something like that).  If I am totally wrong......... Let me down easy ;-)
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 11, 2014
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 12, 2014

                        Cool. I am guessing there is not a problem with physical connections with the board because it will work if I boot up the computer with the softrock plugged in to the usb. Plus I have built many kits and have been soldering for years.

                        At lease it will work with a reboot so I will go with that and move on with the rest of the build.

                        Thanks

                        Barry KY4K

                      • scaninky
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 12, 2014

                          OK......... Listening to every one I Figured out the it is my keyboard, for what ever reason that causes the softrock USB not to work..... Here is my fix......

                          I plugged all USB devices into my powered USB hub. I plugged my keyboard in to the USB on the motherboard....... now every time I plug in the softrock it works EVERYTIME.

                          Thanks for all the help. Hoping to have the softrock finished soon so I can play with it!!  But it won't be for long because I am building it for a friend.

                          Thanks again,

                          Barry KY4K

                        • Mike va3mw
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 12, 2014
                            I think the key word is USB hub.  The slowest device on a hub will slow down everything else on that hub.

                            Be cautious of hubs and USB 3.0 ports.

                            Mike va3mw

                            On May 12, 2014, at 9:21 PM, "scaninky@... [softrock40]" <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            OK......... Listening to every one I Figured out the it is my keyboard, for what ever reason that causes the softrock USB not to work..... Here is my fix......

                            I plugged all USB devices into my powered USB hub. I plugged my keyboard in to the USB on the motherboard....... now every time I plug in the softrock it works EVERYTIME.

                            Thanks for all the help. Hoping to have the softrock finished soon so I can play with it!!  But it won't be for long because I am building it for a friend.

                            Thanks again,

                            Barry KY4K

                          • lbs983405
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 13, 2014
                              Yes...ever since I got a newer laptop that has 4 built in USB ports (and now I don't use a hub) I have had no re-boot needs happen.
                              Before every now & then I would need a re-boot of the SR RXTX.
                              73,
                              Lee