Re: [softrock40] RE: USB Bug?

    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 2, 2013
      ----- Original Message -----
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] RE: USB Bug?

      >When I unplug the USB connection the Device Manager does drop the "libusb" driver. Any time I plug it in to get the "UNKNOWN
      >DEVICE" message.
      >Every other USB device I have plugged into this computer have worked properly.
      >I assume it's a problem in the ATiny USB chip.

      Bob

      gives a possible explanation.
      But whatever is the reason it can usually be worked around.
      I put my other HIDs on a hub and have no problem. Wireless keyboard/mouse is the usual conflict but other HIDs may also block the
      AVR.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • K5MYJ
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 3, 2013
        Thanks,

        Now I do understand the problem. Before I retired I was a Windows
        programmer.

        This may explain why my Arduno does not work also.

        Bob Macklin
        K5MYJ
        Seattle, Wa.
        "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
        >>When I unplug the USB connection the Device Manager does drop the "libusb"
        >>driver. Any time I plug it in to get the "UNKNOWN
        >>DEVICE" message.
        >>Every other USB device I have plugged into this computer have worked
        >>properly.
        >>I assume it's a problem in the ATiny USB chip.
        >
        > Bob
        >
        > This has been discussed extensively in the past, one here
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/softrock40/conversations/topics/56146>
        > gives a possible explanation.
        > But whatever is the reason it can usually be worked around.
        > I put my other HIDs on a hub and have no problem. Wireless keyboard/mouse
        > is the usual conflict but other HIDs may also block the
        > AVR.

      • scaninky
        Message 3 of 21 , May 11, 2014

          Hi I am have the same problem with a win7 64 machine. I am building the ensemble II RX. Still in the building process.... when you plug in the usb it says "unknown device" after reading these posts I tried leaving the usb plugged in and after reboot it is working....... I brought up the CFGSR and It says it is connected.

          Anyone finger this out???

          Barry

        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 21 , May 11, 2014
            Hi Barry,

            I have noted the problem on a number of RX and RXTX boards that I have built.  In some cases the code in the ATTiny85 was corrupted.  I have come to the conclusion that the grounded pin of the ATTiny85 socket, pin 4, is hard to truly have a good connection to circuit board.  Look closely at the socket pin 4 to see if you think it may not be soldered properly.
            --
            Tony Parks
            kb9yig@...

            Message 5 of 21 , May 11, 2014
              > Hi I am have the same problem with a win7 64 machine. I am building the ensemble II RX. Still in the building process.... when you
              > plug in the usb it says "unknown device" after reading these posts I tried leaving the usb plugged in and after reboot it is
              > working....... I brought up the CFGSR and It says it is connected.

              Barry,

              Bug or not, it is a common problem on all Windows versions.
              As you say, either plug in before booting or remove ALL USB devices before plugging in the Softrock will get round this problem.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • doris van der veen
              Message 6 of 21 , May 11, 2014

                > Hi I am have the same
                problem with a win7 64 machine. I am building the ensemble II RX. Still in the building process.... when you
                > plug in the usb it says "unknown device"
                after reading these posts I tried leaving the usb plugged in and after reboot it is
                > working....... I brought up the CFGSR and It says it is
                connected.

                Barry,

                Bug or not, it is a common problem on all Windows versions.
                As you say, either plug in before booting or remove ALL USB devices before plugging in the Softrock will get round this problem.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ

                I use bthe ensemble. No problems with usb.
                It is really  a questin of to much current, may be an excternall
                 powersupply or an y cable ?

                Best regards,

                Doris

                Message 7 of 21 , May 11, 2014
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 11, 2014

                    Tony,

                    I checked the pin four ground and it looks ok. I even went from the bottom of C2 (ground) and direct to pin 4 if U1 and I had continuity. If I unplug the usb and plug it back in I get  the same message. Rebooting I guess is the fix for now until a proper fix comes along.

                    Barry

                  • scaninky
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 11, 2014
                      This may be a stupid question but when you plug in the USB cable is that what powers the atmel chip? Can it be that the  microprocessor does not start up fast enough to talk to the computer? My message on the says the USB device had a  problem ( or something like that).  If I am totally wrong......... Let me down easy ;-)
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 11, 2014
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 12, 2014

                          Cool. I am guessing there is not a problem with physical connections with the board because it will work if I boot up the computer with the softrock plugged in to the usb. Plus I have built many kits and have been soldering for years.

                          At lease it will work with a reboot so I will go with that and move on with the rest of the build.

                          Thanks

                          Barry KY4K

                        • scaninky
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 12, 2014

                            OK......... Listening to every one I Figured out the it is my keyboard, for what ever reason that causes the softrock USB not to work..... Here is my fix......

                            I plugged all USB devices into my powered USB hub. I plugged my keyboard in to the USB on the motherboard....... now every time I plug in the softrock it works EVERYTIME.

                            Thanks for all the help. Hoping to have the softrock finished soon so I can play with it!!  But it won't be for long because I am building it for a friend.

                            Thanks again,

                            Barry KY4K

                          • Mike va3mw
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 12, 2014
                              I think the key word is USB hub.  The slowest device on a hub will slow down everything else on that hub.

                              Be cautious of hubs and USB 3.0 ports.

                              Mike va3mw

                              On May 12, 2014, at 9:21 PM, "scaninky@... [softrock40]" <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              OK......... Listening to every one I Figured out the it is my keyboard, for what ever reason that causes the softrock USB not to work..... Here is my fix......

                              I plugged all USB devices into my powered USB hub. I plugged my keyboard in to the USB on the motherboard....... now every time I plug in the softrock it works EVERYTIME.

                              Thanks for all the help. Hoping to have the softrock finished soon so I can play with it!!  But it won't be for long because I am building it for a friend.

                              Thanks again,

                              Barry KY4K

                            • lbs983405
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 13, 2014
                                Yes...ever since I got a newer laptop that has 4 built in USB ports (and now I don't use a hub) I have had no re-boot needs happen.
                                Before every now & then I would need a re-boot of the SR RXTX.
                                73,
                                Lee