RX Ensemble Torrid Question

  • Douglas Luurs
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2013
      How important it is to use the correct gauge wire when winding the torrids ?

      I think I used the wrong gauge wire, and wanted to check before stripping them down and re doing them.

      I have access to a LCR Meter and the (L5) .46uH was giving me .75uh.  That's what leads me to think
      I booboo'd. (27g is the 'larger/thicker' wire correct?)

      Thanks

      Doug
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2013
        Hi Doug,

        The #27 wire has a larger diameter than the #30 wire.

        Gage of wire will make a very small difference in inductance so I would not rewind already completed inductors.  Each pass of the wire through the central hole of the core is counted as a turn.

        Lead length on an inductor will make some difference in the measured inductance and will especially be noticeable when measuring a small inductance.  If you have a inductor of known inductance it might be good to measure it on your LCR meter to give confidence that the readings are valid.

        Tony Parks
        kb9yig@...
        http://fivedash.com

        On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 05:11 -0700, Douglas Luurs wrote:

        How important it is to use the correct gauge wire when winding the torrids ?

        I think I used the wrong gauge wire, and wanted to check before stripping them down and re doing them.

        I have access to a LCR Meter and the (L5) .46uH was giving me .75uh.  That's what leads me to think
        I booboo'd. (27g is the 'larger/thicker' wire correct?)

        Thanks

        Doug
      • Richard Mogford
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2013

          Tony

          I am getting an intermittent output from the Ensemble II RX, I think.  Sometimes the band on the PowerSDR shows no input.  When I move the Ensemble box around, it comes back, like there is an intermittent open circuit.

          I notice that the stereo “Line Out” jack on the Ensemble box seems kind of loose.  That is, I can waggle the stereo plug around a bit.  However, I am not sure what the problem is.  I don’t want to do anything to the Ensemble board without talking to you.

          Richard

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2013

            >I am getting an intermittent output from the Ensemble II RX, I think. Sometimes the band on the PowerSDR shows no input. When I
            >move the Ensemble box around, it comes back, like there is an intermittent open circuit.

            Richard

            You must locate this, it could be anywhere.
            Use an insulated tool (plastic rod?) to gently poke around.
            Coil connections could be a good start.

            >I notice that the stereo “Line Out” jack on the Ensemble box seems kind of loose. That is, I can waggle the stereo plug around a
            >bit. However, I am not sure what the problem is.

            3.5mm plugs are usually a fairly good fit.
            Is your plug good?
            Is the socket moving?

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Curt Carpenter