RX/TX Ensemble Beginner Questions

  • shimp_2g
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2013
      I think after building the RX II, and 4 of the Lite II kits, building a WebSDR server, I am finally ready to try out the RX/TX.  Specifically the 40/30/20 build.  The questions I have:

      1. Software.  What software is best/most recommended for this radio?  There seems to be endless options.  I don't know if I like PowerSDR, maybe it will grow on me, I like HDSDR, but it's a little plain, now SDR-Radio is super-duper, but does it do TX?

      2.  Operating Modes.  I assume all are possible, CW, AM, FM, USB, LSB, and DATA correct?

      3.  Amplifier.  I have built a couple homebrew HF amps using Solid State, they turned out good, though with only 1 watt of input from radio I will have to get creative in the driver stage of the amplifier.  I think 10-100 watts is much more workable than 1 watt, but I am sure contacts can be made with 1 watt.  What are most users doing to supplement the 1 watt output?

      4.  DATA Modes.  I want to be able to send/receive RTTY and JT65.  Can it be done easily with this radio or will I need special software/rigging to make it work?

      5.  CW Send.   I have heard of Flex users complaining about the Latency or Delay with sending CW with a Flex, I assume this is also a problem with the RX/TX or no?  Also I totally suck at CW (I am a post-CW-testing General) and I am still learning but would love to use it however I would need to type the message in the computer and let it send it for me until I get better at it.  Is this an option?  What software will send CW for the user?

      I am excited at the thought of being able to use this inexpensive radio for Data and CW, I have a radio for phone use, but rarely use it, as I listen much more than I talk, however I think I'd really enjoy using the Data modes much more than phone, so very excited.

      Thanks for all the help, this is a great group.

      Chris
      KF5JMD
    • Michael Walker
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2013
        Chris

        The software is a personal choice.  I love Power SDR, but that was first software I used.  I find the others OK, but do not have the flexibility that I am used to.

        As for modes, if the software can generate the IQ signal than the radio will be able to receive and transmit it.

        The amplifier question is solved by Googling I guess.  :)  There are many with 1 watt drive on HF.  Most problems like this are solved by through money at it.  HI HI

        For data modes, you will have to plumb the audio around.  This is done with Virtual Audio Cable which you will have to purchase.  The only time you will not have to do it is if the software you use supports audio IQ.  WSPR works perfectly.  JT65 might support IQ audio, but I would have to check.  This is not plug and play.  This is play and learn time.

        You really can't compare this with a Flex (and I have owned a 1500, 3000 and 5000).  No matter what, you will have some latency in any DSP system.  However it is measured in milliseconds on the 3000 and 5000.  This is an $89 radio.  I have many friends that do a lot of contests with the 1500, 3000 and 5000 and they are serious CW operators.  I see this as a non-issue actually, but you will have to try them all out on your own to understand what I mean.

        The latency is a function of processing the noise in the noise blankers.  It is what makes it so good.

        Good luck, mike va3mw

        On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM, <kf5jmd@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Shawn Reed
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2013
          5. CW Send. I have heard of Flex users complaining about the Latency or
          > Delay with sending CW with a Flex, I assume this is also a
          problem with the
          > RX/TX or no?
          Maybe this might help explain some question.

           Here is a quote from Dave Miller, from his
          STM32-SDR
          A board perspective (AQRP)
          ..."PC’s use an operating system that is event driven and not real time. This means
          that things happen only when the OS lets it. Things that require prompt and
          immediate action such as CW keying happens not as fast as you want. The
          primary issue here is that the interface to the hardware has many levels of
          software and this slows things down. Also consider the path of a signal in a PC.
          For instance my favorite, CW key. This is path on a unit like a RXTX or Peaberry
          using USB. RF deck sees key closure, sends message to PC via USB, USB
          software driver then sends message to application that then decides what to do
          with it then sends a message back to the USB subsystem that then sends it back
          to the RF deck as an audio signal and a PTT signal which is then processed and
          RF comes on. Contrast this to an STM32-SDR which senses key closure, sets
          PTT, then starts sending audio . A clear winner in speed and simplicity. STM32-SDR uses
          direct control, not USB."  --- Maybe a good way to follow up with your RXTX Ensemble.
                  Thanks, group, in the meantime, for all the work and good will you share.
            73, KF7YFF
          Shawn Reed