USB Bug?

  • K5MYJ
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 30, 2013
      I have been working with a Ensemble Rx for several weeks.

      I have been having a problem with the USB interface.

      I have loaded the driver and have the configuration utility working if the Rx is plugged in at boot time.

      But if I unplug it then plug it back in I get a message "Unknown Device". This happens on a WinXP computer.

      But I have two other WinXP computers that it works fine on.

      If I start the computer with Win2K it does similar. It works if it is plugged in at boot time but not if it is plugged in after boot time. In this case there is no message from Win2K.

      Anyone seen anything similar?

      Bob Macklin
      K5MYJ
      Seattle, Wa.
      "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 30, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] USB Bug?

        >I have loaded the driver and have the configuration utility working if the Rx is plugged in at boot time.

        But if I unplug it then plug it back in I get a message "Unknown Device". This happens on a WinXP computer.

        But I have two other WinXP computers that it works fine on.

        If I start the computer with Win2K it does similar. It works if it is plugged in at boot time but not if it is plugged in after boot
        time. In this case there is no message from Win2K.

        Bob,

        You have to live with it.
        Unplug all USB devices, put in Softrock.
        HID conflict.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • shimp_2g
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 30, 2013
          Bob, my issue is the same, I use XP SP3, with a RX Ensemble II.  I just live with it like Alan says, it's not that bad since I have a dedicated computer to my Ham desk and don't need it for anything else a reboot is quick if I need to get the radio going after unplugging.  NOTE I have found that if I just keep trying, plugging/unplugging till it works, eventually it will come up without a reboot, however the wear and tear on the USB port is likely not worth doing that, only takes about 1 minute for a reboot of the whole computer and then works fine everytime.

          Chris
          KF5JMD

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 30, 2013

            Thanks,

            The "RADIO" computer is probably about 6 years old. The two newer computers don't have the problem.

            I can stop trying to find the problem!

            It's only the Ensemble Rx that behaves badly. Everything else works as it should.

            Bob Macklin
            K5MYJ
            Seattle, Wa.
            "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
            Bob, my issue is the same, I use XP SP3, with a RX Ensemble II.  I just live with it like Alan says, it's not that bad since I have a dedicated computer to my Ham desk and don't need it for anything else a reboot is quick if I need to get the radio going after unplugging.  NOTE I have found that if I just keep trying, plugging/unplugging till it works, eventually it will come up without a reboot, however the wear and tear on the USB port is likely not worth doing that, only takes about 1 minute for a reboot of the whole computer and then works fine everytime.

            Chris
            KF5JMD

            ---In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, <alan4alan@...> wrote:

            >I have loaded the driver and have the configuration utility working if the Rx is plugged in at boot time.

            But if I unplug it then plug it back in I get a message "Unknown Device". This happens on a WinXP computer.

            But I have two other WinXP computers that it works fine on.

            If I start the computer with Win2K it does similar. It works if it is plugged in at boot time but not if it is plugged in after boot
            time. In this case there is no message from Win2K.

            Bob,

            You have to live with it.
            Unplug all USB devices, put in Softrock.
            HID conflict.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • they_call_me_longjohn

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 2, 2013

                When I unplug the USB connection the Device Manager does drop the "libusb" driver. Any time I plug it in to get the "UNKNOWN DEVICE" message.

                Every other USB device I have plugged into this computer have worked properly.

                I assume it's a problem in the ATiny USB chip.

                Bob Macklin
                K5MYJ
                Seattle, Wa.
                "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

                Bob, my issue is the same, I use XP SP3, with a RX Ensemble II.  I just live with it like Alan says, it's not that bad since I have a dedicated computer to my Ham desk and don't need it for anything else a reboot is quick if I need to get the radio going after unplugging.  NOTE I have found that if I just keep trying, plugging/unplugging till it works, eventually it will come up without a reboot, however the wear and tear on the USB port is likely not worth doing that, only takes about 1 minute for a reboot of the whole computer and then works fine everytime.

                Chris
                KF5JMD

                ---In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                >I have loaded the driver and have the configuration utility working if the Rx is plugged in at boot time.

                But if I unplug it then plug it back in I get a message "Unknown Device". This happens on a WinXP computer.

                But I have two other WinXP computers that it works fine on.

                If I start the computer with Win2K it does similar. It works if it is plugged in at boot time but not if it is plugged in after boot
                time. In this case there is no message from Win2K.

                Bob,

                You have to live with it.
                Unplug all USB devices, put in Softrock.
                HID conflict.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • Adam Jacobs

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 2, 2013
                    Subject: Re: [softrock40] RE: USB Bug?

                    >When I unplug the USB connection the Device Manager does drop the "libusb" driver. Any time I plug it in to get the "UNKNOWN
                    >DEVICE" message.
                    >Every other USB device I have plugged into this computer have worked properly.
                    >I assume it's a problem in the ATiny USB chip.

                    Bob

                    gives a possible explanation.
                    But whatever is the reason it can usually be worked around.
                    I put my other HIDs on a hub and have no problem. Wireless keyboard/mouse is the usual conflict but other HIDs may also block the
                    AVR.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • K5MYJ
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2013
                      Thanks,

                      Now I do understand the problem. Before I retired I was a Windows
                      programmer.

                      This may explain why my Arduno does not work also.

                      Bob Macklin
                      K5MYJ
                      Seattle, Wa.
                      "Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
                      >>When I unplug the USB connection the Device Manager does drop the "libusb"
                      >>driver. Any time I plug it in to get the "UNKNOWN
                      >>DEVICE" message.
                      >>Every other USB device I have plugged into this computer have worked
                      >>properly.
                      >>I assume it's a problem in the ATiny USB chip.
                      >
                      > Bob
                      >
                      > This has been discussed extensively in the past, one here
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/softrock40/conversations/topics/56146>
                      > gives a possible explanation.
                      > But whatever is the reason it can usually be worked around.
                      > I put my other HIDs on a hub and have no problem. Wireless keyboard/mouse
                      > is the usual conflict but other HIDs may also block the
                      > AVR.

                    • scaninky
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 11 10:00 AM

                        Hi I am have the same problem with a win7 64 machine. I am building the ensemble II RX. Still in the building process.... when you plug in the usb it says "unknown device" after reading these posts I tried leaving the usb plugged in and after reboot it is working....... I brought up the CFGSR and It says it is connected.

                        Anyone finger this out???

                        Barry

                      • Tony Parks
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 11 10:04 AM
                          Hi Barry,

                          I have noted the problem on a number of RX and RXTX boards that I have built.  In some cases the code in the ATTiny85 was corrupted.  I have come to the conclusion that the grounded pin of the ATTiny85 socket, pin 4, is hard to truly have a good connection to circuit board.  Look closely at the socket pin 4 to see if you think it may not be soldered properly.
                          --
                          Tony Parks
                          kb9yig@...

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 11 11:34 AM
                            > Hi I am have the same problem with a win7 64 machine. I am building the ensemble II RX. Still in the building process.... when you
                            > plug in the usb it says "unknown device" after reading these posts I tried leaving the usb plugged in and after reboot it is
                            > working....... I brought up the CFGSR and It says it is connected.

                            Barry,

                            Bug or not, it is a common problem on all Windows versions.
                            As you say, either plug in before booting or remove ALL USB devices before plugging in the Softrock will get round this problem.

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                          • doris van der veen
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 11 12:24 PM

                              > Hi I am have the same
                              problem with a win7 64 machine. I am building the ensemble II RX. Still in the building process.... when you
                              > plug in the usb it says "unknown device"
                              after reading these posts I tried leaving the usb plugged in and after reboot it is
                              > working....... I brought up the CFGSR and It says it is
                              connected.

                              Barry,

                              Bug or not, it is a common problem on all Windows versions.
                              As you say, either plug in before booting or remove ALL USB devices before plugging in the Softrock will get round this problem.

                              73 Alan G4ZFQ

                              I use bthe ensemble. No problems with usb.
                              It is really  a questin of to much current, may be an excternall
                               powersupply or an y cable ?

                              Best regards,

                              Doris

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 11 1:16 PM
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 11 7:22 PM

                                  Tony,

                                  I checked the pin four ground and it looks ok. I even went from the bottom of C2 (ground) and direct to pin 4 if U1 and I had continuity. If I unplug the usb and plug it back in I get  the same message. Rebooting I guess is the fix for now until a proper fix comes along.

                                  Barry

                                • scaninky
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 11 7:56 PM
                                    This may be a stupid question but when you plug in the USB cable is that what powers the atmel chip? Can it be that the  microprocessor does not start up fast enough to talk to the computer? My message on the says the USB device had a  problem ( or something like that).  If I am totally wrong......... Let me down easy ;-)
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 11 11:40 PM
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 12 6:05 PM

                                        Cool. I am guessing there is not a problem with physical connections with the board because it will work if I boot up the computer with the softrock plugged in to the usb. Plus I have built many kits and have been soldering for years.

                                        At lease it will work with a reboot so I will go with that and move on with the rest of the build.

                                        Thanks

                                        Barry KY4K

                                      • scaninky
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 12 6:21 PM

                                          OK......... Listening to every one I Figured out the it is my keyboard, for what ever reason that causes the softrock USB not to work..... Here is my fix......

                                          I plugged all USB devices into my powered USB hub. I plugged my keyboard in to the USB on the motherboard....... now every time I plug in the softrock it works EVERYTIME.

                                          Thanks for all the help. Hoping to have the softrock finished soon so I can play with it!!  But it won't be for long because I am building it for a friend.

                                          Thanks again,

                                          Barry KY4K

                                        • Mike va3mw
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 12 6:41 PM
                                            I think the key word is USB hub.  The slowest device on a hub will slow down everything else on that hub.

                                            Be cautious of hubs and USB 3.0 ports.

                                            Mike va3mw

                                            On May 12, 2014, at 9:21 PM, "scaninky@... [softrock40]" <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                            OK......... Listening to every one I Figured out the it is my keyboard, for what ever reason that causes the softrock USB not to work..... Here is my fix......

                                            I plugged all USB devices into my powered USB hub. I plugged my keyboard in to the USB on the motherboard....... now every time I plug in the softrock it works EVERYTIME.

                                            Thanks for all the help. Hoping to have the softrock finished soon so I can play with it!!  But it won't be for long because I am building it for a friend.

                                            Thanks again,

                                            Barry KY4K

                                          • lbs983405
                                            Message 21 of 21 , May 13 6:53 AM
                                              Yes...ever since I got a newer laptop that has 4 built in USB ports (and now I don't use a hub) I have had no re-boot needs happen.
                                              Before every now & then I would need a re-boot of the SR RXTX.
                                              73,
                                              Lee