Re: [softrock40] Help with Installing Latest Version of PowerSDR for Use with Ensemble Boards

  • Richard Mogford
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 26, 2013
      Thanks.  I found a free program on the web that tests sound card performance and it showed the laptop to be doing around 96 kHz.

      There is a Sound Blaster Extigy box on eBay right now for $29 plus shipping.

      As long as the PowerSDR software works OK with my internal card, I guess I don't need an external one.

      I was over at our club ham shack just now, and was pleased with the performance of the Ensemble II RX and software.

      Is there anything in PowerSDR that will scan for stations?  How about something that will automatically tune in an SSB signal?  Seems like there should be something like that so that we don't have to tweak the tuning to get the station just right.

      Richard

      On Sep 26, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Stew KF5KOG wrote:

      Richard,

      The cards in the drop down menu have not been updated for a long time.  Many newer cards work just fine.  Also note that just because the laptop specs say 96khz doesn't mean it will work there for SDR use.  I would use what you have and get used to the software interface.  There are lots of messages in this group dealing with sounds cards if you want to upgrade.  I went through several cheaper cards but was never happy with the quality.....settled on the USB  EMU 0204 a few years ago.

      73, Stew
      KF5KOG
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 26, 2013

        >Does the quality of the sound card affect the noise background on the
        SDR (as seen/heard on PowerSDR)?

        Richard,

        What makes you say there is a lot of noise? Just because you see/hear it? Or that the meter says it is high? Do not believe it.
        How does it compare with weak signals on a conventional receiver?

        With a Softrock the soundcard is rarely a significant factor for the noise level.
        In fact most cards give acceptable results, better cards may have fewer spurii, more level response.
        Do not worry too much until you are familiar with what you see and hear.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        On Sep 26, 2013, at 5:08 PM, Adam Jacobs wrote:

        Hi Richard,
          Yes, ADC is an Analog->Digital Converter.
        You should select 16-bit resolution, I wouldn't bother messing with anything else. Try running the experiment again with 16-bit resolution.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantization_(signal_processing)

        -73 Adam W7QI

        On 9/26/2013 4:59 PM, Richard Mogford wrote:
        Thanks, Adam.

        Is an "ADC" and analog to digital converter?