Re: [softrock40] Help with Installing Latest Version of PowerSDR for Use with Ensemble Boards

  • Richard Mogford
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 25, 2013
      Thanks!  Looking forward to trying it. It's very satisfying to get these things working.

      Richard

      On Sep 25, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Stew KF5KOG wrote:

      Richard,

      When you download the home made rigs zip file from here,  http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/downloads/list  those files are there.  I see you have the instruction PDF so the files are in the same folder.

      For sound card selection you need to select other.  It will give you a warning when you select a card other than the ones in the drop down menu.  Not a big deal.  there are work around's.  When the program starts you should be able to select your audio card under the Audio Tab.

      When the program first starts..a window "Available Radio Interfaces" will come up.  At the bottom select add legacy radio.  this is the SDR1000 emulation part that has been modified.  Under serial number you can name it Ensemble RXII.

      Then go to step 7 on instructions.

      Let me know how that works for you.  There is a more to do and calibrate but fairly easy for the RX only Ensemble.

      73, Stew
      KF5KOG

      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 26, 2013

        >Does the quality of the sound card affect the noise background on the
        SDR (as seen/heard on PowerSDR)?

        Richard,

        What makes you say there is a lot of noise? Just because you see/hear it? Or that the meter says it is high? Do not believe it.
        How does it compare with weak signals on a conventional receiver?

        With a Softrock the soundcard is rarely a significant factor for the noise level.
        In fact most cards give acceptable results, better cards may have fewer spurii, more level response.
        Do not worry too much until you are familiar with what you see and hear.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        On Sep 26, 2013, at 5:08 PM, Adam Jacobs wrote:

        Hi Richard,
          Yes, ADC is an Analog->Digital Converter.
        You should select 16-bit resolution, I wouldn't bother messing with anything else. Try running the experiment again with 16-bit resolution.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantization_(signal_processing)

        -73 Adam W7QI

        On 9/26/2013 4:59 PM, Richard Mogford wrote:
        Thanks, Adam.

        Is an "ADC" and analog to digital converter?