Re: [softrock40] RE: Compatibility with MATLAB

  • Sylvain AZARIAN
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 25, 2013

      Ok. Please wait for me to dive in my backups...

      Will also put on my blog

      Le 25 sept. 2013 10:45, <e09_129@...> a écrit :

      Can u send me that code at e09_129@...?

      ---In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, <sylvain.azarian@...> wrote:

      Sorry ;-)
      This is the encapsulation technique for matlab to call external code in C for example.

      Basically a dll.

      The idea is here to write a wrapper to send the si570 freq control. I proposed this a while ago in this group but had no reply so archived the code.

      Sylvain

      Le 25 sept. 2013 10:11, <e09_129@...> a écrit :

      mex file ??

      ---In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, <sylvain.azarian@...> wrote:

      Good morning

      You can use matlab for the audio processing, but this will be offline (i mean not possible to do real time processing)
      You will have also have to write a mex file to control the si570.
      I coded that a while ago and may look for the code in my archives if this can help you.

      F4gkr sylvain

      Le 25 sept. 2013 09:56, <e09_129@...> a écrit :

      hello all

      i have a very small and simple Question regarding RXTXEnsemble that is it compatible with matlab i.e if i want to use matlab instead of that SDR software ?
    • vbifyz
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 25, 2013

        An alternative to Matlab is Python with add-on packages. The syntax is different, but most of the features are available. Pyaudio package allows the real-time audio input, Scilab - signal processing, Matplotlib - nice plotting, etc.

        It is much faster than Matlab. I tried 192kHz sampling + FFT + simple filtering + disk write. It loads a Core Duo 1.6GHz CPU to just 10-15%.

        Another advantage of this setup is portability: I ran the same exact code on Raspberry Pi (although it can only do 48kHz sampling with FFT in real time).

        I used hamlib/rigctl to control Si570. Python can call external system commands.

        73, Mike

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 25, 2013
          Totally agree :-)
          sylvain

          2013/9/25 <3ym3ym@...>

[...]

        • Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 25, 2013
            Interesting. I wondered about how it'd work. Do you have any python examples to get someone started?

            I'm currently doing some large dataset FFT work and things are crawling (with 2e6-2e7 data points), so I wasn't too sure how thing's would work in realtime processing, but I suspected they'd work pretty well.

            gerry n5jxs

            --
            Gerry Creager
            NSSL/CIMMS
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 25, 2013
              I've uploaded my data capture code to Files/Python code example:
              http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YFVDUiHIzerhgi_kBbAAXQ91DyzAjPl3nBIQidIJpUi527OPGupbOkdYdLMs13af1O3Pj_2QtiwGMrbiO87_1woROA/Python%20code%20example/met_3ch_log.py

              You can also look at the QRSS implementation code by Scott AJ4VD, which was my inspiration:

              http://www.swharden.com/blog/qrss_vd/

              The important trick that I've added to my code is I/Q processing for stereo input from Softrock. Scott's code looks at the mono output from a regular radio.