Re: [softrock40] iSDR app

  • Simon Thompson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2013
      I have tried to use this; the problem with the software is that the iPad is incapable of receiving from the Ensemble Rx both the frequency control signal and the IQ signal at the same time. The last time I checked, there were a couple of technically-minded people who were developing a work-around solution (wireless or Bluetooth) to the IPad's specific limitations.

      On Friday, September 13, 2013, Zack Widup wrote:

      Has anyone used this? Looks interesting!

      https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/isdr/id480077371?mt=8

      73, Zack W9SZ

    • wb4jfi
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2013

        A friend and I have been working on frequency control with an iPad/iPhone for a while.  We have had an independent iPad app that controls the Si570 frequency (and bandpass filters) on an Ensemble II receiver for over a year now, using an Arduino and WIRED Ethernet shield.  We can also control a KX3 (or K3) using the Pignology wifi devices.  Our code is being integrated into the iSDR code base.  We are NOT XCode experts, so we've been stumbling through Apple's developer landmines.  They don't make it easy at all.  Can you say device provisioning?

        The issue is that we prefer to use wifi for the frequency control, and I'm having a harder time using wifi adaptors with the Arduino.  I started with the "snake" things (copperhead, CuHead, etc) from LinkSprite, but they do the TCP/IP protocol stack in the already limited Arduino CPU.  So, I switched to the Sparkfun WiFLY, which uses a similar Roving Networks (RN) module to the Pignology devices.  The various Arduino libraries for these Roving Networks modules are very kludgy.  The RN modules use serial port, in-band communications for both data and control, kind of like the old Hayes modems.

        After a period of unlucky time ((including a "six-week" kitchen remodel that took over four months), I am back on this project.

        You should be hearing something about a new app, similar to iSDR from Digital Confections in the not-too-distant future, or RSN.

        We would like to eventually send the I/Q samples to the iPad/iPhone via wifi as well, but that certainly won't be with an Arduino or with Roving Network modules.  For now, control of the KX3 or Ensemble II (or RxTx 6.3 or whatever with an Si570) is our short-term goal.

        73, Terry, WB4JFI