I Have a Question.

  • w4mwb
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2013

      Is there nay chance that there could be a spectrum analyzer made from the Si570 chip?

      I would be nice to have something like that that would be affordable for amateur use. Most spectrum analyzers are quite expensive and it seems that the Si570 chip could be put to use for that considering that it would be a receive only item. Just thought I would ask.

      73's

      John W4MWB

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] I Have a Question.

        > Is there nay chance that there could be a spectrum analyzer made from the Si570 chip?
        >
        > I would be nice to have something like that that would be affordable for amateur use. Most spectrum analyzers are quite expensive
        > and it seems that the Si570 chip could be put to use for that considering that it would be a receive only item. Just thought I
        > would ask.

        John,

        If that Si570 is built into a Softrock and used with something like HDSDR it is a spectrum analyser.
        <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-signal-measurement>
        Optimised for a high-end soundcard it could enable relative measurements over a span of 190KHz and a range in excess of 100dB.

        Nothing to do with Si570s or Softrocks, a RTL dongle could show a span of 2MHz but with a range of just up to 60dB. Other SDRs are
        available with varying specs and frequency ranges.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • vbifyz
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 16, 2013

          Even if it is not real time, it would be nice to have a 1.8..30MHz analyzer. If each 192 kHz band is captured for 2 seconds (to make the Si570 loud click to dissipate), a full sweep will take about 5 minutes. Much faster if only some bands are used.

          It would be difficult to calibrate and make it into a real instrument because of the uneven BPF gain, central peak and other issues. Yet, for the price it would be great value, allowing continuous monitoring of the entire HF.

          73, Mike

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, <softrock40@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          > Is there nay chance that there could be a spectrum analyzer made from the Si570 chip?
          >
          > I would be nice to have something like that that would be affordable for amateur use. Most spectrum analyzers are quite expensive
          > and it seems that the Si570 chip could be put to use for that considering that it would be a receive only item. Just thought I
          > would ask.

          John,

          If that Si570 is built into a Softrock and used with something like HDSDR it is a spectrum analyser.
          <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/hdsdr-signal-measurement>
          Optimised for a high-end soundcard it could enable relative measurements over a span of 190KHz and a range in excess of 100dB.

          Nothing to do with Si570s or Softrocks, a RTL dongle could show a span of 2MHz but with a range of just up to 60dB. Other SDRs are
          available with varying specs and frequency ranges.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • John Casano
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 16, 2013
            Thanks so much for the answer. I was just thinking of a stand alone that's all. But that works for me.

            John W4MWB
          • Brett Graham
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 17, 2013
              <3ym3ym@...> said:

              > Even if it is not real time, it would be nice to have a
              > 1.8..30MHz analyzer. If each 192 kHz band is captured for 2
              > seconds (to make the Si570 loud click to dissipate), a full sweep
              > will take about 5 minutes. Much faster if only some bands are
              > used.
              >
              > It would be difficult to calibrate and make it into a real
              > instrument because of the uneven BPF gain, central peak and other
              > issues. Yet, for the price it would be great value, allowing
              > continuous monitoring of the entire HF.

              I already do something like this, but is only to watch what is going on
              over more spectrum than I can see at once.

              No idea about the Si570 (and what is talking to it), but with FCDP+ I
              can have SDR# (with N8GJL's scanner plug-in) hang around for ~100 mS as
              it scans between memory channels. At 196 kc, it takes 7 memories to
              cover, for example, all of 20, 17, 15 & 12m.

              The result is four bands sharing the same waterfall - looking a bit like
              vidiplex gone berserk - is adequate for the monitoring I do (have
              learned how to work with it), but what would really be neat would be to
              have separate displays/waterfalls for each memory channel.

              Being able to see more spectrum than is already presented pretty much as
              it is by a spec-an to me is what is required for either spectrum
              "monitoring" or "analysis" applications - within the limits of the
              receiver/sampling used (therefore dynamic range, resolution, etc),
              everybody already has a basic spec-an if they use a SDR. ;^)

              73, ex-VR2BG/p.