Re: [softrock40] Re: Softrock Ensemble II almost dead

  • Curt Carpenter
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
      Two meters is awfully short.  I use a long wire about 32' long and up about 28', and hope to put up something more substantial soon.  .

      Another thought.  On my ensemble II, I can listen to local AM broadcast signals above 1MHz, and they are extremely strong.  If you have a station at around that frequency in your area, it might be worth checking to see if you can hear it.   I'd think you'd be able to even with that 2m. wire.

      Your ohm meter should let you verify your antenna connections on the circuit board and the continuity of your antenna transformer.

      Regards,
      Curt

      On 9/13/2013 11:32 AM, jimgo749 wrote:

      Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it.

      @carpentercurt45
      I connected the board to my laptop and also to my desktop pc however I had no luck.I will go through the settings again just to be sure.

      @Mike T W6MXV
      I am using a single wire antenna about 2 meters long. Where could I find a more suitable antenna?

      @K5MYJ

      I have an AM radio receiver and I checked BBC world service frequencies however I could not listen anything from my RX II.

      Is it possible that the cause of the problem could be bad solder joints on the transformer or on the antenna jack?They seem ok but I could desolder them and do them again just in case.

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 13, 2013
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: Softrock Ensemble II almost dead

        There is always white noise on every frequency. My board passed all the tests from the wb5rvz.org with success. The op amps seem to
        work as I did test them with a needle as Alan suggested and saw difference on display and heard a distinct sound when touching the
        pins.

        As others have said, Softrocks are designed to require a good antenna.
        You will have difficulty finding audible signals with a short piece of wire.
        However, you should see some pickup of random signals on the screen that alter if the antenna is removed. With a working Softrock
        you should find some signals from your computer that you do not really want to see!

        I have never tried this but I think it should work.
        If there in no difference then, assuming your wire is not connected to anything else try connecting it to your pin and touch places
        like R25, 26, U9 pins 7, 9 and look for some sort of signals.
        If you do see something go to various places in the BPF.