Re: [softrock40] Sound card for Ensemble RXTX

  • Chuck Wain
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013
      Curt
      I got it from my daughter, she is a big gamer, so it is pretty high end.  The specific model is HPE-180t.  It is pretty powerful, even for now, Core i7 at 3.07GHz and 18GB of memory.  She did not upgrade the audio, it is the base Realtek integrated 7.1 Sound (7.1 capable sound with front audio ports).

      I bought two stereo audio cables so I can try out the Ensemble.  I have been pretty confused over the stereo input issue, does this system have it or not?  Anything special I need to to do to get it to work with the Ensemble?

      Thanks
      Chuck

      On Sep 12, 2013, at 11:22 AM, Curt Carpenter <1cjcarpenter@att.net> wrote:

      Could you tell me what model HP you have Chuck?  I use old computers (desktops), but it's been a while since I saw one that didn't have stereo line-in/line out.

      Thanks,
      Curt

      On 9/12/2013 10:30 AM, Chuck Wain wrote:

      This is probably somewhere in the archives of this list, but I have had no luck finding anything.  I have an HP desktop, Core i7 with lots of memory, but it only has the built-in Realtek sound card/chip.  In order to use the Ensemble RXTX to its full capabilities I need a stereo in and out sound card.  Is there a source of recommended/approved/tested sound cards for this radio?  I hate to go and reinvent the wheel.  I have run across the M-Audio units, but wonder if there are others that will work.

      Thanks
      Chuck - KF7ZQN

    • Curt Carpenter
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013
        Chuck:

        A quick glance at the (meager) setup docs. for you computer hints that there might be an audio connection on the back of the machine -- at least for LineOut.    Did you look back there already?

        I'm using an old IBM machine with built in sound, and it works fine (with line in/line out on the back panel of the machine).

        If you open your Mixer controls under Windows, they might give you a hint about what capabilities your PC has.  My mixer shows balance and volume for Master, Wave, SW Synthisizer, CD Player, Microphone and Line In.

        If you have the time and no line-in, you can probably hack your ensemble into the CD Player input to the sound system, or into the mic if it is stereo (but the only way to know that for sure is probably to try it and see).   If not, eBay has USB sound cards (make sure they have LineIn) for under $15.

        Regards,
        Curt

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 12, 2013
          > The specific model is HPE-180t. It is pretty powerful, even for now, Core i7 at 3.07GHz and 18GB of memory. She did not upgrade
          > the audio, it is the base Realtek integrated 7.1 Sound (7.1 capable sound with front audio ports).
          I bought two stereo audio cables so I can try out the Ensemble. I have been pretty confused over the stereo input issue, does this
          system have it or not? Anything special I need to to do to get it to work with the Ensemble?

          Chuck,

          The motherboard specification says it has a Realtek. Up to 24 bit 192KHz.
          Look for the Realtek Audio Manager.

          Sorting out the sockets is not going to be easy.
          Identify them before any SDR. Use stereo speakers and check for a stereo input.

          Maybe do a search for Realtek Audio Manager? Here <http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalArticle.asp?cref=TEC949416> is a Realtek
          system. OK, its Vista but yours may well be similar.